• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

13 Mindblowing Facts About America’s Tax-Dodging Corporations

His point was that investors receive certain advantages of investing in corporations, such as they have no liability in excess of their investment. For such priviledges, they should be willing to pay a price - the price of the corporate income tax. No one HAS to start a C-corp, they do it because it provides special benefits. They do it because they believe that the benefits exceed the price.
Interesting. I’ll have to think about that. Is my thinking right that taxes are a form of liability insurance for society then? An extreme example - you could have somebody raise millions of dollars to create the next magical energy device. Investors may or may not know that what he’s doing is very dangerous. The guy blows himself and a city block up. Who pays the damages?

business owners today live in the corporation's housing, eat its food, drives its cars, fly its aircraft, attend school on its dime, and enjoy healthcare at the corporation's expense. the principals effectively live off of the corporation's costs, which are then deducted from revenues as expense items to reduce the corporation's tax liability, and yet you would further eliminate the expectation of corporations, which are more profitable than at any time in our history, from paying taxes to support the very economic engine that enables such profitability

From philosophical standpoint we are certainly on the same page. I strongly believe success is a product of a society – your economic engine. The corporations of our time were not created in a vacuum.

Admittedly, this does create a considerable problem with my logic (and a reasonable counter argument is a rare thing on this site these days ;).
I see your points and realize that the corporate tax might be the simplest form of regulation – it reminds me of the foreign oil/environmental debates – most people say forget regulation and subsidies towards alternative energy that have marginal effectiveness. Instead, simply start to raise taxes on oil and gas until industry figures out the best alternative – no regulation necessary.

With that idea, I guess I have to grapple with the notion that with a 0% rate, also must come regulation to keep corporations themselves from becoming the next big tax loophole.
However, is it really that hard? Cars and aircraft for “business use” might be a bit difficult, but isn’t it fairly easy to tell most businesses that they can’t directly pay for houses, lunches, and school? We’ve got 100k pages now that tell them how, when, and what to deduct – this can’t be any worse than that. Maybe they can reimburse/prepay the employee, but that would be counted as income, and eliminate any need for reporting beyond that. It wouldn’t be true reimbursement as progressive taxation would affect each person differently. But I would only expect that to force things into a “per diem” model instead of a reimbursement and that could be advantageous for both the business and the employee.

Corporate profits would be higher with no taxes. But imagine the simplicity. Revenue and expense are now irrelevant. All we have to care about now is that number the corporation has placed on an employee’s w2.

I do think that the biggest corporations have pretty much taken control of this economy and the government with their greedy, hawkish policies; But more importantly, it is useless to discuss the tax rate when money itself has become fiat, thanks to the #1 rotten apple at America's core: the Federal Reserve. They were the corporation that started it all.

Until the public owns the means to the economy again, there is no point in talking about tax rates. Our system has been hemorrhaging for years now because of private sequestering of public wealth. It's only an urgent concern now because of the unemployment rate, which was always an impending natural consequence of a privatized financial system. America chose to begin the move from democracy to plutocracy in 1913 when the Federal Reserve was created. The problem was compounded with intense globalization and the outsourcing of jobs, but it started 100 years ago.

Our system has been hemorrhaging for years now because of private sequestering of public wealth. .

Private sequestering of public wealth........hmm. Can I sequester some? I can make much better use of it than the government can.

Such an unfortunate show of prostration for state power in this thread. The IRS tax code is so ridiculously complex and convoluted that it becomes a nightmare to comply with them. But instead of railing against the common enemy, you bicker about who got a bigger “break” than who. The simple fact is that each and every person and business attempts to minimize their tax levy (or maximize their tax savings if you prefer). Trying to point out corporations as being evil for the same behavior you personally perform is simply childish and hypocritical.

I have a better idea, instead of complaining about who got their extortion payment reduced the most, why not focus on how to reduce and ultimately remove that extortion requirement altogether?

Back
Top Bottom