• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

13 Maine Republicans Are Done With The GOP, Decide To Leave Party

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
According to the Maine Sun Journal, leading the exodus was RNC member Mark Willis of Washington County, former Senate candidate Scott D'Amboise of Lisbon, and former state party chair challenger Sam Canders. Willis said that to stop others from leaving, the party must start "governing like Republicans are supposed to be," the Sun Journal reported.

The marginalization of the GOP has begun as it devolves into a regional extremist party with no national presence. Thank God.

I'd like to see a more moderate GOP form. Maybe perhaps the Zen tea party?

I'd like to see a more moderate GOP form. Maybe perhaps the Zen tea party?

If you read the letter these guys wrote it sounds like they're jumping from the Republican Party to the "Tea Party" Tea Party.

Their complaint isn't that we need a "more moderate" GOP. Their complaint is that the RNC and the Republican Party have abandoned traditional conservative principals in order to get on board the leftist agenda of more taxes and bigger government.

If you read the letter these guys wrote it sounds like they're jumping from the Republican Party to the "Tea Party" Tea Party.

Their complaint isn't that we need a "more moderate" GOP. Their complaint is that the RNC and the Republican Party have abandoned traditional conservative principals in order to get on board the leftist agenda of more taxes and bigger government.

It's still good news for people who'd like to see a more moderate GOP. Get the TPers off to do their own thing and let the GOP be center-right, which should be their real place anyway.

I've seen polls that say most Americans are basically center-right, so that may actually help the GOP more than it hurts them.

http://donklephant.com/2009/10/26/gallup-poll-confirms-america-is-a-center-right-country/

It's no wonder that these extreme right wing nutsacks have left the GOP

The wonder is why they joined it in the first place

Why do people wrongly associate Dems/leftists with more government and spending? One needs to simply look that the records of Dubya, Bush Sr. and Reagan to quash that fallacy. In any event, at least on social issues, the GOP seems to have gone far right.

Why do people wrongly associate Dems/leftists with more government and spending? One needs to simply look that the records of Dubya, Bush Sr. and Reagan to quash that fallacy. In any event, at least on social issues, the GOP seems to have gone far right.

The right-wing has been very successful at marketing liberal as being the same thing as authoritarian.

The marginalization of the GOP has begun as it devolves into a regional extremist party with no national presence. Thank God.

Good Riddance. It's people like that who have forced me to avoid the Republican Party. It's needed a good "Spring Cleaning" for many years now.

They probably thought the party tag was an impediment to their being elected or re-elected. This sort of thing rarely has anything to do with ideology.

From the actual letter of resignation it signals some of them are going back to private life and non-elected social endeavors while some hold out the chance of running for higher office as independents.

Why do people...associate Dems/leftists with more government and spending? One needs to simply look that the records of Dubya, Bush Sr. and Reagan to quash that fallacy. In any event, at least on social issues, the GOP seems to have gone far right.

Because it's true.

The right-wing has been very successful at marketing liberal as being the same thing as authoritarian.

The Leftists have done a fine job of doing that themselves.

13 Maine Republicans ditch the GOP, because it's not Conservative enough?

Y'all might want to start worrying a little bit. Politicos don't make these decisions without doing a ****load of polling to justify the decision. They believe--right, or wrong--that their constituents are going to support this move.

with so many of your compadres wanting one party to control everything, I wonder where people get the idea y'all are authoritarians ?

Whenever Republicans have the opportunity to shrink the size of government they always set records for the amount of structural deficits they create.

Wars of choice, new government handouts to pharmaceuticals, arming terrorists, and legislating whom can marry whom based on religious and not legal reasons. I can safely say that over the past 30 years I've never seen Republicans attempt to shrink the size of the federal government. In fact judging by rhetoric coming out of Washington if Republicans had their way we'd be at war with Iran, Syria, Egypt, and would have expanded our wars in Afganistan and Iraq.

It's distressing what having absolutely no integrity and allow you to accomplish.

Have you actually read the article? The reason they left is because the GOP is becoming too moderate, and not standing up for it's belief structure. The Republican Party is not split down the middle because it's "too extreme", it's split down the middle because it's not extreme enough! Freedom IS extreme! Equality IS extreme! Liberty IS extreme!The pure American ideal is extreme! What do you think the people sitting back in Britain during the revolutionary war thought about America? They probably thought that the colonists were political extremists that were probably mentally ill! Hmm, what do people think about Libertarians and Tea Partiers? Oh yeah, they are looking for cures. :doh

Have you actually read the article? The reason they left is because the GOP is becoming too moderate, and not standing up for it's belief structure. The Republican Party is not split down the middle because it's "too extreme", it's split down the middle because it's not extreme enough! Freedom IS extreme! Equality IS extreme! Liberty IS extreme!The pure American ideal is extreme! What do you think the people sitting back in Britain during the revolutionary war thought about America? They probably thought that the colonists were political extremists that were probably mentally ill! Hmm, what do people think about Libertarians and Tea Partiers? Oh yeah, they are looking for cures. :doh

What?

"We can no longer associate ourselves with a political party that goes out of its way to continually restrict our freedoms and liberties as well as reaching deeper and deeper into our wallets,"

What?

"We can no longer associate ourselves with a political party that goes out of its way to continually restrict our freedoms and liberties as well as reaching deeper and deeper into our wallets,"

Are you having a problem reading my post?

Are you having a problem reading my post?
I will agree that the republicans are turning democrat light. I guess your use of extreme had me confused. There is nothing extreme about standing up for the values this nation was won for.

I will agree that the republicans are turning democrat light. I guess your use of extreme had me confused. There is nothing extreme about standing up for the values this nation was won for.

Actually, when people call me an extremist, I thank them. I'd rather be an "extreme" patriot, than a moderate neo-conservative.

Back
Top Bottom