• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

12th Amendment

Not necessarily.

If presidential elections were handled via direct elections, the election itself would have been very different. E.g. Bush would have campaigned more in states like California. There's no way to know for sure how the popular vote would have changed, given different campaign tactics.

This is also not about specific results like "who got voted in -- it's just as likely that a Republican could win the popular vote, and lose the election, as the opposite. The goal is to simplify the election, and make it more reflective of the will of the people.
- making it more reflective of the will of the people

:mrgreen: What I'm saying is: Al Gore actually won the popular vote in 2000. If we had such a system as election by popular vote he would have been President. I think he would not have run up our debt to 13 trillion little green rectangles with George Washington's picture on them. Yes, a system of election by popular vote would simplify the election and make it more reflective of the will of the People. tks, chuck

There are no problems whatsoever with a republic incorporating democratic elements and structures.

For example, referendums are part of many state governments. Referendums are still bound by state and federal laws, which can curb the excesses of the majority.

And again, directly electing the President does not grant any additional powers to the office, so there is no problem in modifying the Constitution in that manner, if we so choose.

My comment was more in the way of a point of order. It sometimes irks me when the word "democracy" is tossed about like something factual in our process, when in fact we only "incorporate democratic elements and structures."

:mrgreen: What I'm saying is: Al Gore actually won the popular vote in 2000....
Yes, I understand your point.

What I'm saying is: If we had decided on direct elections before the election started, campaign strategies would have been very different. It is not a given that Gore would have won.

In addition, as I said: It's not about securing a specific outcome. The conflict between popular vote and electoral college can fall either way in any election.

An amendment can't be "unconstitutional."

We're not required to adhere to the exact same system that the framers devised. We could eliminate the entire Senate if we so chose.

And we could change that to a direct election, if we so chose.

Keep in mind that amendments require ratification by the states. If the states choose to hand over a specific power to the federal government or to the people, they can do so.

Because a government ought to be responsive to the will of the people.

The potential issue is that the will of the majority can trample the rights of the minority. Indirect election of senators and/or presidents does not viably protect that right.

I also see very little evidence that electors are any wiser than the will of the public.

They ought to represent the residents of those states.

It's not ambiguous, it's the voters in those states. And why should it matter if they represent a "state," or represent the people of those states?

Because the framers had to appease the representatives of the smaller states.

The framers didn't adopt a bicameral legislature because of fidelity to political principles. It was adopted out of political expediency. And there's no particular reason to be hobbled by 200+ year old compromises between politicians, if we no longer find those structures useful.

Hobbled by something you pretend to understand. First you argue the minority isn't politically provided for by indirect vote, then you called politically providing for the smaller states, expedient. All government is a compromise, you can't have a govt without it......so stop complaining. And frankly I'd trust the wisdom of most any of the founders over yours. You seem to have no regard for what was established, would love to made changes for their own sake.

There are no problems whatsoever with a republic incorporating democratic elements and structures.

For example, referendums are part of many state governments. Referendums are still bound by state and federal laws, which can curb the excesses of the majority.

And again, directly electing the President does not grant any additional powers to the office, so there is no problem in modifying the Constitution in that manner, if we so choose.

Yes, and state govts have a smaller number of constituents.......democracies fall apart as the numbers grow. But then the founders said that, haven't you read?

My comment was more in the way of a point of order. It sometimes irks me when the word "democracy" is tossed about like something factual in our process, when in fact we only "incorporate democratic elements and structures."

:mrgreen: Cap'n: Anyone who knows about our Government knows that it is a "Representative Republic" based on democratic principles. Like you said earlier, democracy is for smaller groups. It is certainly not for a country with a 300 million population. tks, chuck

:mrgreen: Visbek: Let's agree to disagree, and let's agree to agree. This Country would be better off if the President were chosen by the popular vote, and in this age of computers and the Internet we could certainly do that with ease. tks, chuck

:mrgreen: "An Amendment can't be unconstitutional."? Yes! it can! The 18th Amendment was unconstitutional, because no "Special Interest Group" (In this case, Evangelical Christian Temperance people) can push their own set of morals on the American People. The Constitution is not for the purpose of legislating morals. It is for protecting the God given rights of law abiding American citizens. tks, chuck

Hobbled by something you pretend to understand. First you argue the minority isn't politically provided for by indirect vote, then you called politically providing for the smaller states, expedient.
A "small state" is not the exclusive vehicle for a "minority." A political minority can also include an ethnic group, a religion, a sexual orientation, a political organization, and so forth.

And yes, the decision to have a bicameral legislature, for example, was not based on political ideals but a last-minute compromise. That is a well-established fact. Read up on the Constitutional Convention one of these days, kthx

All government is a compromise, you can't have a govt without it......so stop complaining.
I'm not saying "never compromise." What I'm saying is that the citizens of today do not need to be bounded by a compromise struck 200 years ago, by people who lived in a vastly different set of political circumstances than today.

democracies fall apart as the numbers grow. But then the founders said that, haven't you read?
I'm not advocating that "the entire US should become a direct democracy." I'm suggesting we change one important national election from indirect to direct.

I'd trust the wisdom of most any of the founders over yours. You seem to have no regard for what was established, would love to made changes for their own sake.
The framers were quite intelligent. They were also, again, dealing with political conditions that have changed significantly in the past 200 years. As such, we should not be hog-tied by 200 year-old solutions to 200 year-old problems.

The framers are also dead, and were not supplied with crystal balls at the Convention. They could not possibly have predicted how our nation would change -- much in the same way that we cannot determine, with absolute accuracy, what the primary political issues will be in the year 2313.

And no, I am not advocating "change for the sake of change." I'm saying:
1) We have the power to adopt direct elections of the president, if we so choose.

2) Doing so would be beneficial, because:
a) It will simplify the electoral process
b) It will make the presidency a more direct reflection of the will of the people

3) Doing so does not harm the union, because
a) It does not grant the president any additional powers
b) It does not weaken the states.

A "small state" is not the exclusive vehicle for a "minority." A political minority can also include an ethnic group, a religion, a sexual orientation, a political organization, and so forth.

And yes, the decision to have a bicameral legislature, for example, was not based on political ideals but a last-minute compromise. That is a well-established fact. Read up on the Constitutional Convention one of these days, kthx

I'm not saying "never compromise." What I'm saying is that the citizens of today do not need to be bounded by a compromise struck 200 years ago, by people who lived in a vastly different set of political circumstances than today.

I'm not advocating that "the entire US should become a direct democracy." I'm suggesting we change one important national election from indirect to direct.

The framers were quite intelligent. They were also, again, dealing with political conditions that have changed significantly in the past 200 years. As such, we should not be hog-tied by 200 year-old solutions to 200 year-old problems.

The framers are also dead, and were not supplied with crystal balls at the Convention. They could not possibly have predicted how our nation would change -- much in the same way that we cannot determine, with absolute accuracy, what the primary political issues will be in the year 2313.

And no, I am not advocating "change for the sake of change." I'm saying:
1) We have the power to adopt direct elections of the president, if we so choose.

2) Doing so would be beneficial, because:
a) It will simplify the electoral process
b) It will make the presidency a more direct reflection of the will of the people

3) Doing so does not harm the union, because
a) It does not grant the president any additional powers
b) It does not weaken the states.

:mrgreen: I might add to Visbek's comments that the American People are a lot more intelligent than many give them credit for. When we step behind that ballot curtain we seem to come to our senses and tap into our God given wisdom. tks, chuck

If the citizens elect the electors, then the electors names should be on the ballots. I should be voting for the elector that believe would best represent my interests when choosing a president/vice-president.

In Oklahoma they are along with the canidates for President and Vice President.

:mrgreen: Visbek: If the President were to be elected by popular vote directly we would have had a President Al Gore instead of a selected President George W. Bush. Hopefully that would have meant that President Barack Obama wouldn't have had a 13 trillion debt handed to him on a lead platter! President Clinton left office with zero debt, and they were predicting a 4 trillion dollar surplus within 8 years. A President Gore would have tried his best to make that happen. Why do we get these Republican Presidents who cut taxes (in fairness to Bush, he cut MY taxes too, and I'm by no means rich), and then go ahead and spend like a drunken sailor. When you cut taxes you're supposed to cut spending as well (Duhh!!!) until the extra money the people have to spend comes back to the Government in the form of Federal taxes. Reagan was guilty of this also. tks, chuck

The part in maroon is utter nonsense, worse that the other nonsense, and actually an enormous lie promulgated by the Clinton Administration, the Democratic party and the Press.

Clinton had no "zero debt", not even in one year. Clinton didn't even have a neutral deficit. And he certainty didn't pass Bush any sort of accumulated surplus!

Various articles on the Internet indicated that Clinton not only balanced the budget, but had a surplus. Generally this argument to was used to highlight the fiscal irresponsibility of the Bush administration. The claims of Clinton's surplus(es) generally as promulgated by CNN and others, is that Clinton had a surplus of $69 billion in FY 1998, $123 billion in FY1999 and $230 billion in FY2000 . In that same link, Clinton claimed that the national debt had been reduced by $360 billion in the last three years, presumably FY1998, FY1999, and FY2000--though, conspicuously, $360 billion is not the sum of the alleged surpluses of the three years in question ($69B + $123B + $230B = $422B, not $360B)!

Below is the deficit and debt during the Clinton Administration, as reported by the U.S. Treasury:

clintonsurplus.jpg]​

As can be seen, at no time did Clinton have even an budget surplus in even one year, much less pass Bush an overall surplus, as some have reported. F

How is this Clinton Surplus even claimed? It is essentially an accounting lie, with the reported surplus being attributed to Social Security (making it also another form of lie), and resulting from the DOT COM bubble, involving companies with no real assets, and no real production relying on the increase in supposed production with the growth of the Internet, and this being seen in the form of profits and Social Security payments, as if it were suddenly a far more robust economy.

The surplus deception is clearly evident by examining the national debt itself over Clinton's presidency. While the government's big spenders (Democrats) are boasting about surpluses, as if they were real and spendable, the national debt is rising year after year, while increasing the future debt obligation..

In 1998, the first year of the alleged surplus, debt rose from $5.413 trillion to $5.526 trillion, due to a deficit of $112.9 billion. When the federal government spends Social Security money and other trust funds, these constitute both present and obligations, and the government accumulates further debt

This ideological cover-up of Clinton and by the Democrats, was seen again under Bush, when the Pelosi Congress took over in November '06, and then instituted their first Pelosi Democrat Congress budget in the 2007 FY.
While Bush and the Republicans had been gradually getting the federal deficit under control after 9/11, approaching a defiit-neutral budget, this trend was abruptly and enormous.y reversed under the Pelosi Congress, skyroocketing the budget deficit.

Bush-Obama-Deficits.jpg

The Republicans are not angelic when it comes to spending, but it is a thorough dishonesty to try and claim they are anything comparable to the Democrats, much less that there is any hint of fiscal responsibility from them. Bush wasn't spending like a drunken sailor, but the American economy cut back after 9/11, causing decreased revenues. Now they Democrats, they're the drunken sailors, and pilfering from the Social Security while they send the ship of state to Davy Jone's locker.

Oh, its another gross falsehood to say that Bush was "selected" too. The Court didn't select Bush, but rather prevented the redefining "a vote", but only in Democratic districts, only to increase Gore's results. It's called "selective sampling" and is a direct corruption of the vote, and election.

Furthermore, a lower tax rate (your cut in taxes) allows more money to remain in the economy, with a bigger money multiplier, and also allows the "PIE" to increase, while the government is taking a smaller percentage, but getting a bigger piece overall. This is another fact of reality that Democrats don't get. Government spending does not increase the real economy. Reagan was NOT guilty of this either! Reagan's tax cutes greatly increased revenues, but these increased revenues did not cover the increased spending from Congress.

I should have colored your entire post Maroon, since it is all currupt partisan falsehood, but then I wouldn't have anything to single out.

Last edited:
If the citizens elect the electors, then the electors names should be on the ballots. I should be voting for the elector that believe would best represent my interests when choosing a president/vice-president.

Then try to change the Constitution, it's been the same from the beginning, people just happen to think we are a Democracy....

Back
Top Bottom