• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

107-year-old man killed by SWAT Team.

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
WTF? That's the resolution to a problem with a 107-year-old man, for God's sake?

Police in Pine Bluff, Arkansas say a 107-year-old man was killed in a shootout with a SWAT team Saturday afternoon. Investigators say that local police responded to a complaint of aggravated assault against Monroe Isadore, who allegedly pointed a gun at two people at a home on West 16th Street in Pine Bluff. When police approached the bedroom door where Isadore was holed up, he fired one shot through the door. No one was hit.

The SWAT team was called in and negotiations with Isadore began. The SWAT team confirmed that Isadore was armed with a handgun by inserting a camera into the bedroom through a window.
After negotiations were unsuccessful, the SWAT team pumped gas in the room from outside the bedroom window, hoping that Isadore would surrender peacefully. Instead, Isador fired more shots at a SWAT entry team, who threw a "distraction device" into the room after breaching the door. Isadore continued shooting at the entry team, who finally shot and killed him.
Local police said that the investigation is ongoing, but provided no further details.

Read more: 107-year-old man killed by SWAT team in Arkansas | Fox News

a 107 year old with a gun, who is shooting at you, is a deadly threat....the use of deadly force to end that threat is valid and proper.

it's sad how it turned out, but the 107 year old shouldn't be shooting at folks... his actions caused them to defend themselves with valid deadly force.

a 107 year old with a gun, who is shooting at you, is a deadly threat....the use of deadly force to end that threat is valid and proper.

it's sad how it turned out, but the 107 year old shouldn't be shooting at folks... his actions caused them to defend themselves with valid deadly force.

Oh, let's see -- they could have popped in teargas; stun grenades. They could have waited it out. It'd only be 30 minutes before he'd have to pee, after all. I mean, really. Negotiate? Knockout gas? Something besides rushing the old man and killing him dead? Really?

Where do we set the cut off for not using deadly force against someone shooting at you?

Oh, let's see -- they could have popped in teargas; stun grenades. They could have waited it out. It'd only be 30 minutes before he'd have to pee, after all. I mean, really. Negotiate? Knockout gas? Something besides rushing the old man and killing him dead? Really?

they did send in tear gas.. and what they called a "distraction device" ( not sure what that is, maybe a flashbang?)... they negotiated....deadly force was their last effort, as it should be.

ignoring people who are shooting is not really wise... for cops, it's pretty much the opposite of what they are charged with doing.

like i said, it's sad, but even for a person like me who doesn't like how cops operate most of the time, this is a good shoot ( according to the facts we have)

Maggie... From your own quoted link:

After negotiations were unsuccessful, the SWAT team pumped gas in the room from outside the bedroom window, hoping that Isadore would surrender peacefully. Instead, Isador fired more shots at a SWAT entry team, who threw a "distraction device" into the room after breaching the door.

SWAT gave him far, far more opportunities than they needed to. Shooting him was the only option left. His age is irrelevant.

Anyone firing shots is a threat. While I realize that you think police can spend all day evacuating the neighborhood and trying all manner of non-lethal things to make the old dude give up shooting at folks it is simply not practical. If one round had struck a kid playing in neighbor's yard you would likely be the first to blame police for acting stupidly to save a 107 year old nut instead of that innocent kid.

107 or not there really was no choice.

"the SWAT team pumped gas in the room from outside the bedroom window, hoping that Isadore would surrender peacefully. Instead, Isador fired more shots at a SWAT entry team,"

After reading the article I don't see why his age is relevant. I see no wrongdoing by the SWAT team. I thought at first that maybe he was an innocent bystander but he was the perp so it's hard for me to fault the SWAT team.

WTF? That's the resolution to a problem with a 107-year-old man, for God's sake?

I hate to say this but SWAT did the right thing. Yes its sad that the guy was 107 years old, possibly senile, and they had to take his life. But the whole point of guns is to make a weak person just as strong as a strong person. He may have been 107 years old but in lethality terms...he was just as lethal as a 20 year old with a gun.

You'd be surprised. The kind of people who live to that age tend to be very capable right up to the end. Something about the "live forever" gene seems to keep them more together, physically and mentally, than the rest of us. These are the sorts of old people who go for hikes every day and have finished off the evening with a vodka or five for the past 50 years, no worse for the wear.

It sounds to me like SWAT actually made a rare showing of restraint, if all of this is true. A shame, surely, but I see no wrong-doing here. His age doesn't excuse him from threatening or firing at people.

:shrug: Seems like suicide by cop.

That could actually be a good possibility. Being 107 he may have "tired of life". Lord knows how I'd act if I ever reach that age knowing that all the people you ever knew and loved in your life is dead and the ones that are still alive you are just a burden to them...assuming that they are even around considering many peoples thoughts now a days.

A few thoughts...

• His age is really irrelevant. The story would not change if it were not mentioned at all.
  • As people have the right to defend themselves, so do the police.
  • Those who pay attention know that I am very suspicious of the increasing militarization of our police forces, and am always skeptical regarding circumstances, but sometimes they are legit and it sounds like this may be one of those times. I'm still reserving back a bit of skepticism, though, because...
  • I have full confidence that the police... who are investigating themselves, if you haven't noticed... will find no wrongdoing on the part of themselves. Pretty much standard operating procedure.

It would have been tragic if he had managed to kill a young policeman with a family.

This killing may have shorten his life realistically by a few months.

Probably shooting the man was legal. Personally I think it was probably very unnecessary and should not be legal.

Though a damn shame that it happened, his age was irrelevant.

I'm thinking suicide by cop also.....

It is why they call guns 'the great equalizer', man, woman, young, old, doesn't matter, puts you on an even footing with others when you can both shoot each other. It appears dude had his chance and was a moron, and for that he is now dead.

Probably shooting the man was legal. Personally I think it was probably very unnecessary and should not be legal.

The police shooting a man that was firing at other citizens and cops should be illegal? What should they have done, gave him a big bear hug to stop him? Let a few cops die on the way?

This is definitely a candidate for the most justified police shooting in history. And don't act like this same exact thing doesn't happen in Germany. I remember a few years back when the special response Polizei blew a guy away because he had an assault rifle and pointed it at them.

The police shooting a man that was firing at other citizens and cops should be illegal? What should they have done, gave him a big bear hug to stop him? Let a few cops die on the way?

This is definitely a candidate for the most justified police shooting in history. And don't act like this same exact thing doesn't happen in Germany. I remember a few years back when the special response Polizei blew a guy away because he had an assault rifle and pointed it at them.

Sure, if he was shooting at passersby and there was clear and present deadly danger and people at unavoidable risk...
But that is not the way I read it. It sounded as though it was the type of situation you could just sit and wait out. Block the street. If you wanted to accelerate it lob in some teargas or some such.

Sure, if he was shooting at passersby and there was clear and present deadly danger and people at unavoidable risk...
But that is not the way I read it. It sounded as though it was the type of situation you could just sit and wait out. Block the street. If you wanted to accelerate it lob in some teargas or some such.

Either you were too lazy to read the article, or your reading comprehension is lacking.

Investigators say that local police responded to a complaint of aggravated assault against Monroe Isadore, who allegedly pointed a gun at two people at a home on West 16th Street in Pine Bluff. When police approached the bedroom door where Isadore was holed up, he fired one shot through the door.

Read more: 107-year-old man killed by SWAT team in Arkansas | Fox News

They then proceeded with:

- Negotiation FAILURE (suspect responds with gunfire)
- Tear gas FAILURE (suspect responds with gunfire)
- Flash bangs (distraction device in article) FAILURE (suspect responds with gunfire)

When he continued firing at them, they had no other choice but to shoot back. No law enforcement agency on the planet would've done more. You are wrong as hell.

Um, well, when he has a gun, and you're unable to negotiate with him, and tear gas doesn't disable him, and you're unable to distract him from shooting at you ... yeah.

Either you were too lazy to read the article, or your reading comprehension is lacking.

They then proceeded with:

- Negotiation FAILURE (suspect responds with gunfire)
- Tear gas FAILURE (suspect responds with gunfire)
- Flash bangs (distraction device in article) FAILURE (suspect responds with gunfire)

When he continued firing at them, they had no other choice but to shoot back. No law enforcement agency on the planet would've done more. You are wrong as hell.

Thing is, if SWAT hadn't responded with their full body armor etc., another solution might have been found.

Perhaps it's because when someone is firing a gun from inside a home, there's no assurance it won't go right through the house walls, etc. and kill some innocent on the street. Having thought about that, I can understand it more.

Edit: You'd think there'd be a knock-out gas grenade...?

Thing is, if SWAT hadn't responded with their full body armor etc., another solution might have been found.

Perhaps it's because when someone is firing a gun from inside a home, there's no assurance it won't go right through the house walls, etc. and kill some innocent on the street. Having thought about that, I can understand it more.

Maggie.... They responded to an aggravated assault call...

They knew he was armed and dangerous going in. This is SOP for every law enforcement agency on the planet. This is a candidate for the most justified police shooting in history.

Back
Top Bottom