• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1000s Of Cases But Zero Hospitalizations In Colleges: Good News But States Force Draconian Lockdowns

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
New Data

=================

Remember the goal of flattening the curve?

Ensuring that hospitals weren’t overrun? Well, what do you call a scenario where thousands of cases result in zero hospitalizations? I’d call it the ultimate flat curve – or downright flat line.

Yet rather than recognizing the detection of mild cases among college students as portents of good news, universities continue to sow panic for no good reason.

After being open for weeks, college campuses have no reported deaths or even hospitalizations that I can find.

1000s Of Cases But Zero Hospitalizations In Colleges: Good News But States Force Draconian Lockdowns | Zero Hedge

New Data

=================

Ensuring that hospitals weren’t overrun? Well, what do you call a scenario where thousands of cases result in zero hospitalizations? I’d call it the ultimate flat curve – or downright flat line.

Yet rather than recognizing the detection of mild cases among college students as portents of good news, universities continue to sow panic for no good reason.

After being open for weeks, college campuses have no reported deaths or even hospitalizations that I can find.

1000s Of Cases But Zero Hospitalizations In Colleges: Good News But States Force Draconian Lockdowns | Zero Hedge

Not surprising, although I'd eventually expect some students (most likely those who are already suffering 2 or more comorbidities) to succumb. But that will all depend on their youthful vigor.

There have been deaths of individuals under 65. It is a very tiny percent. However, the vast majority of those cases so far exemplified will experience either asymptomatic results, or minor flu-like symptoms...and recovery.

The more we learn about this illness, the less of a threat it seems.

Yes were are seeing more cases, but as I've been arguing almost from the onset, cases does not equal deaths, it merely indicates those who have caught it.

Lot's of people catch the flu annually. 12,000 - 60,000 die annually...and we don't bat an eye.

How many ways does this have to be explained to you people? We all know that the virus is generally not deadly in younger people. But younger people can give the virus to older people who can and will die. Namely, college professors, coaches, a family that visits...

Many of these college towns are relatively small towns that would otherwise be fairly insulated from the virus, but when 30,000 kids come to town they get overrun and causes hot spots in places that would not normally have them at all.

New Data

=================

This is bull**** Russian crap.

New Data

=================

Most of the reaction to this pandemic has been driven by panic, not logic.

close the schools in both the US and Russia.

Most of the reaction to this pandemic has been driven by panic, not logic.
And it’s all Trump’s fault.

New Data

=================

I live in a community that is host to a major university and also a two-year college with over 15K students. Since the kids returned to town, our numbers have at least tripled every day. Every day has been at least 63; most days have been over 100 new cases, and because we track this, at least 88% but more like 95% of the daily increases are from 1-24-year olds. Yes, they're all likely to recover and quickly...but they pump gas and shop in the same stores that the rest of the community does, and they take the virus home to parents and grandparents on the weekends.

Not surprising, although I'd eventually expect some students (most likely those who are already suffering 2 or more comorbidities) to succumb. But that will all depend on their youthful vigor.

There have been deaths of individuals under 65. It is a very tiny percent. However, the vast majority of those cases so far exemplified will experience either asymptomatic results, or minor flu-like symptoms...and recovery.

Yes were are seeing more cases, but as I've been arguing almost from the onset, cases does not equal deaths, it merely indicates those who have caught it.

Lot's of people catch the flu annually. 12,000 - 60,000 die annually...and we don't bat an eye.

Yes, well, we have lost 195,000 and flu season hasn't even started.

New Data

=================

Incorrect. So long as the virus continues to find new hosts we will continue to have a virus problem. The problem only goes away when people are no longer getting infected. Pretending that younger patients have a mild case simply ignores the science of virology.

Or......it's done on purpose and not through ignorance.

Flattening the curve was only a temporary measure, not the cure.

We have only had one year in the past decade where we lost 60,000 to flu. 30,000-40,000 is more typical.

Incorrect. So long as the virus continues to find new hosts we will continue to have a virus problem. The problem only goes away when people are no longer getting infected. Pretending that younger patients have a mild case simply ignores the science of virology.

So that means lockdown forever?

We have only had one year in the past decade where we lost 60,000 to flu. 30,000-40,000 is more typical.
I’m sure the families of those 30,000 to 40,000 who died are happy that 20,000 other families didn’t have to share their grief. 20,000 more deaths would be unacceptable.

New Data

=================

You didn’t look very hard. There’s this thing called google, you might want to try it. It took about 10 seconds to find it.

This is from just one school.

SDSU reports 44 more cases, one student in the hospital | cbs8.com

It’s really early now. Give it some time. People don’t get sick enough right away to need to go to the hospital.

You also seem to completely disregard or can’t comprehend that faculty and the surrounding community are also put at risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How many ways does this have to be explained to you people? We all know that the virus is generally not deadly in younger people. But younger people can give the virus to older people who can and will die. Namely, college professors, coaches, a family that visits...

Many of these college towns are relatively small towns that would otherwise be fairly insulated from the virus, but when 30,000 kids come to town they get overrun and causes hot spots in places that would not normally have them at all.

Evidence please.

PS.Why don;t we make OLD people stay home, then?

Nope. It does mean doing it right however. What we have is sort of a half way, not lockdown, not fix. That's what happens in a leadership vacuum. All of this could have been brought under control months ago. That wouldn't have been a cure, but a situation where we could manage.

We never did a real lockdown.......the management here in the US was always half assed.

You didn’t look very hard. There’s this thing called google, you might want to try it. It took about 10 seconds to find it.

This is from just one school.

SDSU reports 44 more cases, one student in the hospital | cbs8.com

It’s really early now. Give it some time. People don’t get sick enough right away to need to go to the hospital.

You also seem to completely disregard or can’t comprehend that faculty and the surrounding community are also put at risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Acceptable risk indeed

Acceptable risk is when you die and the person accepting the risk doesn't.

What an incredibly stupid statement. Also, how dare you?

Even if we take the highest number you've posted here, COVID has already killed three times that number of people in roughly 6 months. 60,000 a year succumb to flu? Well, COVID has been more than three times as deadly in half the amount of time, WITH the population taking much greater safety precautions (distancing, masks, disinfecting, lockdowns, etc.) than they do normally.

Seriously, do you really not see how unbelievably stupid your statement is?
Evidence please.

PS.Why don;t we make OLD people stay home, then?
We do. My grandparents were locked down for months, with the only people allowed in and out of their nursing facility being the staff. The last time I talked to my grandmother, I literally had to do it through a glass door (she passed away, but not from COVID).

We do make old people stay home. And I know MANY older people who are doing everything they can to protect their health, just like I know many younger people who are doing the same. But the reckless jackasses who selfishly only think of themselves and their nonsensical political views have ruined nearly the entire year for the rest of us who have worked to be as responsible as possible.

There is no cure. So we must live with the virus. That means protecting those most at risk and letting everyone else go on with their lives.

New Data

=================

How many of those infected do you think have taken the virus home to their families, to infect more vulnerable adults? Didn't think this through, did you.

How many of those infected do you think have taken the virus home to their families, to infect more vulnerable adults? Didn't think this through, did you.

Actually I have. Acceptable risk

As long as it takes. Yes, I know it's boring and people want to go to the pub and see their mates, but personally I prefer to stay alive and healthy than die, suffocating on my pus-filled lungs.
I suspect 200,000 dead Americans felt that way too.

Back
Top Bottom