• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

100 years ago today - 7/1/1916 - began the bloodiest day of battle in British history

Re: 100 years ago today - 7/1/1916 - began the bloodiest day of battle in British his

Over 58,000 casualties, 19,240 died, on the first day alone, 100 years ago, this day (July 1st, 1916) in the Battle of the Somme, in France, WWI - the bombardment by British artillery was so loud and continuous, that it could be heard in London, over 200 miles away:

Documentary - over an hour long, but worth the time:

Yeah, that's an excellent story.

So what happened to Europe once the war got going, is that they were aghast at the number of casualties that were being reported. They never figured on the upgrades in military weapons and tactics and thought it was going to be just another war...

The same thing happened in the US with our civil war, when the new "photographs of the battle fields" began to show everybody what was really going on.

Re: 100 years ago today - 7/1/1916 - began the bloodiest day of battle in British his

[h=2]Centenary of the End of the Battle of the Somme[/h]Nov 18, 2016 – 11:03 PM
November 18 marks the centenary of the end of the Battle of the Somme, an event that passed essentially unnoticed, though it was a seminal event in the development of modern Canada. Its carnage was over 1.1 million casualties from a combined population (both sides) of about 170 million. (For a scale, there have been approximately 35,000 U.S. casualties in Iraq from 2003-1016.)
I became interested in the Battle of the Somme earlier this year due to a sheaf of papers in the back of my mother’s china cabinet, which I noticed while she was moving.
The papers were copies of transcripts of letters from the front by the adjutant of the 75[SUP]th[/SUP] Canadian Battalion (4[SUP]th[/SUP] Canadian Division), one of the battalions which led the closing assault at the Battle of the Somme. While other war-time correspondence in family archives tended to be sincere but dreary epistles, these letters were full of interesting details about life at the front – not just mud and food, but flares, “dug-outs”, young men having horse races, sightseeing at Amiens Cathedral five days after a battle in which 25% of the battalion were killed or wounded, the moral quandary of court-martialing soldiers who had wounded themselves to avoid further battle, typically because of what we today call post-traumatic stress disorder, with penalties shocking to today’s sensibility. In this note, I’ve collated all of the china cabinet letters available from the china cabinet, interweaving with information from War Diaries, to provide a narrative (pdf).
In the transcript, neither the author nor addressee were transcribed. From details in the letters, it is evident that the author was Miles Langstaff, then a recent graduate of Osgoode Law School. I presume that his correspondent, who had knitted him a sweater and walked with him in the valley of the Humber River in west Toronto, was my grandmother. Langstaff was killed on March 1, 1917 in an ill-conceived raid at Vimy Ridge, a month before the major victory in April 1917.

[h=2]Centenary of the End of the Battle of the Somme[/h]Nov 18, 2016 – 11:03 PM
November 18 marks the centenary of the end of the Battle of the Somme, an event that passed essentially unnoticed, though it was a seminal event in the development of modern Canada. Its carnage was over 1.1 million casualties from a combined population (both sides) of about 170 million. (For a scale, there have been approximately 35,000 U.S. casualties in Iraq from 2003-1016.)
I became interested in the Battle of the Somme earlier this year due to a sheaf of papers in the back of my mother’s china cabinet, which I noticed while she was moving.
The papers were copies of transcripts of letters from the front by the adjutant of the 75[SUP]th[/SUP] Canadian Battalion (4[SUP]th[/SUP] Canadian Division), one of the battalions which led the closing assault at the Battle of the Somme. While other war-time correspondence in family archives tended to be sincere but dreary epistles, these letters were full of interesting details about life at the front – not just mud and food, but flares, “dug-outs”, young men having horse races, sightseeing at Amiens Cathedral five days after a battle in which 25% of the battalion were killed or wounded, the moral quandary of court-martialing soldiers who had wounded themselves to avoid further battle, typically because of what we today call post-traumatic stress disorder, with penalties shocking to today’s sensibility. In this note, I’ve collated all of the china cabinet letters available from the china cabinet, interweaving with information from War Diaries, to provide a narrative (pdf).
In the transcript, neither the author nor addressee were transcribed. From details in the letters, it is evident that the author was Miles Langstaff, then a recent graduate of Osgoode Law School. I presume that his correspondent, who had knitted him a sweater and walked with him in the valley of the Humber River in west Toronto, was my grandmother. Langstaff was killed on March 1, 1917 in an ill-conceived raid at Vimy Ridge, a month before the major victory in April 1917.

Good morning, Jack. :2wave:

WOW! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Good morning, Jack. :2wave:

WOW! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Happy Saturday, Polgara.:2wave:

They deserve to be remembered.

Back
Top Bottom