• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

100 Years Ago on this day, WWI was brought to an end.

Jredbaron96

Gen 4:10
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, the guns fell silent after four years of the most brutal war the world had seen thus far in our history.

A century later, let us commemorate those that gave their lives so that the world may see peace, and do all we can to ensure their sacrifices have not been forgotten.

Three who have been remembered in a most unusual way, potraits in the sand: Poet Wilfred Owen, Second Lt. Walter Hull, the first black officer in the British Army, and "munitionette" Dorothy May Waston.

From the Daily Mail (with terrific photos, as usual):

Large-scale drawings of dozens of soldiers have been drawn on 32 beaches, stretching from deepest Cornwall to the Outer Hebrides, as part of an imaginative UK-wide event thought up by film maker Danny Boyle.

As part of the tribute, the portraits will be washed away as the tide comes in, showing how life can come and go in an instant.

Hundreds gathered at coastal sites across England, Wales, Scotland, North Ireland and the Republic of Ireland today to watch the spectacle unfold.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...fred-Owen-carved-sand-UK-beaches-tribute.html

On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, the guns fell silent after four years of the most brutal war the world had seen thus far in our history.

A century later, let us commemorate those that gave their lives so that the world may see peace, and do all we can to ensure their sacrifices have not been forgotten.

Isn't that Memorial Day? Many veterans are not dead - thank them for their service.

Isn't that Memorial Day? Many veterans are not dead - thank them for their service.

This isn't intended just to venerate Veteran's Day, this thread is in commemoration for the end of WWI.

As a side note, the Armistice was signed at 5 am that morning. It was set to take effect for symbolism at the 11th hour. More men died for nothing between the hour it was signed and the time it took effect than what died on D Day. World War I: Wasted Lives on Armistice Day | HistoryNet

My grandfather was in WW1 in France, Saving Macron's decedents from the Nazi's.

Combat medical care was just a step above the Civil war standards.

"Ce n'est pas une paix, c'est un armistice de vingt ans!"
"This is not a peace, it's a twenty years armistice!"

French Marshal Ferdinand Foch at the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on June 28, 1919.

The Second World War started twenty years and 64 days after his words.

If only they had succeeded. The war to end all wars.

Original intent for Armistice day was to mark the end of WWI, however, in our nation, over the decades is has broadened and morphed to commemorate the fallen sacrificed from each and every war and conflict. Not to mention another holiday shopping day.

I don't write the following to insult you but it is time to put "thank you for your service" to bed. I don't doubt your personal sincerity, however it has become a disingenuous meme for those who say to themselves "I said the right thing." Then walk away.

There are plenty of real vets, survivors, in hospitals hoping to recover, at the local bar hiding themselves from themselves. Some don't need much, just a hand to hold, a reconnect with humanity. Others a bit more, someone to read to them, something more. For those sincere about the sacrifices made, there is always a way to express oneself with action, and I don't mean preaching. Doesn't take a lot of time, often just a smile and a hello. Action talks better than words. Of course, doing small things to make this a better world won't hurt either, because that is part of why these men and women went to war. To make a better world in their way. Small things like ignoring that road rage you are feeling, telling every little girl with a parent how pretty she looks today, and every little boy, how you appreciate his sense of style. They blush, get timid, but it makes them feel good inside. That grows better people. At my age I say similar things to adults I don't know, and often illicit a smile.

We can thank globalist liberals for our being in WW1, for which the known 100% lie was given - falsely claiming we were not using passenger ships to transport ammunition to the British. Germany even took out an ad urging people to not get on the Lusitania as it was a munitions ship. The Democrat Wilson government lied assuring it wasn't. Decades later, divers confirmed it was packed with weapons and munitions for Britain. Wilson might as well have ordered all passengers executed but that would not have served his goal of getting Americans killed as justification to get us into a European war that we had no stake in the outcome of.

Without our involvement, the war would have fought to an indefinite standstill, possibly there would have been no Communist revolution in Russia (that liberals supported), no WW2 and no Cold War that has lasted to this day. For foreign wars, the vastly overwhelming number of American deaths have been under Democratic presidents.

We can thank globalist liberals for our being in WW1, for which the known 100% lie was given - falsely claiming we were not using passenger ships to transport ammunition to the British. Germany even took out an ad urging people to not get on the Lusitania as it was a munitions ship. The Democrat Wilson government lied assuring it wasn't. Decades later, divers confirmed it was packed with weapons and munitions for Britain. Wilson might as well have ordered all passengers executed but that would not have served his goal of getting Americans killed as justification to get us into a European war that we had no stake in the outcome of.

Without our involvement, the war would have fought to an indefinite standstill, possibly there would have been no Communist revolution in Russia (that liberals supported), no WW2 and no Cold War that has lasted to this day. For foreign wars, the vastly overwhelming number of American deaths have been under Democratic presidents.

Your revisionism is absurd. The Russian Revolution had been boiling for decades, it was an inevitable response to the deaf divine right rule abuse of centuries. Not only did the US bear no responsibility for the October Revolution, contrary to our own rejection of divine rule, we sent troops to support and fight alongside the whites during the civil war.

Hearst yellow journalism presented the lies about the Lusitania, not Wilson who as an isolationist dreaded entering a European blood bath.

You have no idea how WWI would have progressed or not, without the presence of the US. No one does. Your unequivocating opinion is without any supporting substance and meaningless drivel.

It was thinking like yours that created the Cold war. Your fears of communism, a dead in the water economic policy, is still palpable. People don't need ideologies or any other exercises of the mind to go to war, just false fears and a pleasure taken in death.

My grandfather was in WW1 in France, Saving Macron's decedents from the Nazi's.

Combat medical care was just a step above the Civil war standards.

The Nazis weren't a thing in World War One......and the French had been fighting for years before the US got involved in the first go-around.

Are you joking? What a pathetic load of incredibly historically ignorant crap from you.

The Russian Revolution began in 1917. How, exactly, would US non-involvement have prevented that from occurring?

Not to mention the "globalist liberals" sent American soldiers to try and put down the Communists in the first place. Huh.....that's a rather odd form of "support" :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Expeditionary_Force,_Siberia

But hey, I get it. The US fighting against autocratic dictators is something conservatives hate....almost as much as they hate Democrats and look for any excuse to shriek about them.

...without our involvement, the war would have fought to an indefinite standstill, possibly there would have been no Communist revolution in Russia (that liberals supported), no WW2 and no Cold War that has lasted to this day. For foreign wars, the vastly overwhelming number of American deaths have been under Democratic presidents.

You have no understanding of history.

Have you never heard of the 100 Day Offensive ? The German army was beaten and US troops in Europe were a drop in the bucket.

The October Revolution had already happened before US involvement in Europe...Tsarist Russia collapsed because of the military success of the German army.

If the USA contributed to the defeat of Imperial Germany, it was in providing huge loans to the British and French governments.

I my view, all the men in that senseless war died for nothing. It was the crime of the century, giving us Hitler and Stalin for desert.

In 1914 all the troops in all the countries of Europe were sent to war by cheering crowds.

I went to a magnificent commemorative concert yesterday eve, the SF City Chorus and Calvary Chancel Choir and Orchestra. Speakers before and between the Hayden Mass and a modern piece, Dona Nobis Pacem, mentioned the origins of the war and of the poppy as a symbol of remembrance. Seems poppy seeds were churned up by boots, wheels and hoofs in the otherwise barren muddy landscape of the war theater, and were the only signs of life. From them came the poem "In Flanders Fields." They asked all the vets in the audience to stand and receive applause, and they were presented with imitation poppies made by the performers. Thirty-seven million dead, and Hitler and Stalin to follow. I thought of the great line by Al Pacino's character as Satan in "The Devil's Advocate," something like, "Can any one deny that the 20th century belonged to me?"

Then my political brain interrupted, and I thought of the irony of the president proclaiming himself a nationalist and going to a ceremony that recalled the worse results of nationalism. Apparently President Macron thought the same, given his words at the Arc de Triomphe.

In 1914 all the troops in all the countries of Europe were sent to war by cheering crowds.

I know, much as in the Civil War, they thought they would be home quickly. And their generals' tactics ignored the lessons of the Civil War.

Back
Top Bottom