• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

100 Books Kids of High School Age Should Read

You said I should broaden my horizons.

This thread proposes 100 books for high school students. Then someone listed the usual drivel, 1984, Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye.

I started reading about Greek philosophers in 7th grade because of a science fiction book. But I also decided to go to college for engineering because of SF.

I could suggest The Tyranny of Words by Stuart Chase

But no! I learned about that because of Robert Heinlein's interest in General Semantics by Alfred Korzybski. A E van Vogt used it too. Lots of writers of really great SF tend to be exceptionally bright and well read people. But junk like Star Wars won't get suggested by me.
Yikes dude.

Yikes dude.
OK, I think this society has issues with what education is.

Often it is just being indoctrinated with European culture and I am not impressed with that even for the white kids.

It is funny to go to Goodreads and see what people who give 1 star to the "Great Books" have to say about them. Do our schools produce a lot of conformist who think what they are told?

I like science fiction too, but you should broaden your horizons. There are truly great reads in other genres too, including classics.
See post #40 on page 2.

You said I should broaden my horizons.

This thread proposes 100 books for high school students. Then someone listed the usual drivel, 1984, Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye.

I started reading about Greek philosophers in 7th grade because of a science fiction book. But I also decided to go to college for engineering because of SF.

I could suggest The Tyranny of Words by Stuart Chase

But no! I learned about that because of Robert Heinlein's interest in General Semantics by Alfred Korzybski. A E van Vogt used it too. Lots of writers of really great SF tend to be exceptionally bright and well read people. But junk like Star Wars won't get suggested by me.
Right. It was conversational.

Sorry you are having a bad day. Your responses are argumentative and full of hostility.

See ya. I hope you feel better soon.

See post #40 on page 2.
Weird. I don't get it. Post 40 doesn't adress what I said in the slightest.

Are you OK? (I mean that, not trying to make a sparky or rude comment).

Weird. I don't get it. Post 40 doesn't adress what I said in the slightest.

Are you OK? (I mean that, not trying to make a sparky or rude comment).
Fine, we can just ignore each other.

I think if we could aim for "High School Kids read 100 books" that would be a win.

True story....I sit on the Sterling Scholar panel for a local high school. We were interviewing the candidates for the English Sterling Scholar. This is a snippet of the exchange...

Can you name and discuss some of the works of Shakespeare?

-I don't really like to read.

OK....but...have you studied any of them in school?

-I think so, but I don't really remember any of them.

OK...that's OK...how about any favorite poets, either from history or more modern poets?

-I cant really think of any.

OK...do you have a favorite author of any type or time?

-Oh....I really like Stephanie Meyer!

Oh! Nice...I'm not familiar with her....what books has she written?

-Oh...she wrote the Twilight books........

OK...that's fantastic...thanks!

English Sterling Scholar?

A study in satire?

ROFLMAO

Had an interesting conversation in another thread about a list of 100 books that high school age kids should read. I found that list to be unsophisticated detritus. I’m curious which books other members think should be represented in such a list. What are your top 100?
How about posting the list?

Never heard of it.

Sterling Scholar builds on a 53-year history​

It's remarkably hard to make a kid read anything. Anyone who thinks one is going to read 100 books is out of his mind. The 100 list should be absolutely be as diverse as possible, including graphic novels. Whatever it takes to get them interested is fine. Then they'll be more likely to tackle the classics.

Great idea. I can't get my daughter to read anything but manga but she's reading. I don't understand it but I'm not over here reading classic novels myself, just the ones I enjoy.

How useful is English literature in a world with von Neumann devices everywhere?

Great idea. I can't get my daughter to read anything but manga but she's reading. I don't understand it but I'm not over here reading classic novels myself, just the ones I enjoy.
How much manga is science fiction these days?

Try Daemon & Freedom by Daniel Suarez

This ain't no novel:

Practical Electronics for Inventors
Paul Scherz & Simon Monk

Thankfully it does not have the silly covers of Stan Gibilisco's books.

5 books on electronics:

Electronics techniques

Last edited:
The Literary Intellectuals still have to much influence in education.

It seems lots of so called SF readers don't care about accurate science in their fiction.

This gets two and a half facepalms.

This gets two and a half facepalms.
You are going too cut your hand in half for a missing 'o'?
Oh, someone else's hand and keep your two.

Edit time limits are somewhat annoying.

Last edited:
Island in the Sea of Time by S. M. Stirling

1st book in the Nantucket trilogy

The word 'technology' has become very popular in the last 20 years. We act as just computer stuff is technology. But our society has been extremely dependent on technology for a couple of centuries. This story of a small community trying to adjust to living without it is rather enlightening.

High school kids reading books?

It it ain't on Tic-Tok it's not likely to be seen in school. That's just the sad state of affairs, but there is something to be said for interactive media where you can question the assertions being put forth in some way. Better than my generation parked in front of MTV all day.
At least MTV had music videos then. What is MTV today? Reruns of Ridiculousness all weekend?

Back
Top Bottom