• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10 years Ago, Al Gore Predicted that the Arctic Circle Would be "Ice Free in 5 years."

Grokmaster

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Dec. 13, 2008, to a German audience of the Warmist Deluded, The Goracle predicted that the Arctic Ice Cap would melt completely. He then REPEATED his Grand Prediction, at the fateful COPENHAGEN CONFERENCE, ( also where the IPCC accidentally revealed that "fighting AGW " was not about the "climate" at all...but that it was about "leveling the playing field"...aka: INCOME REDISTRIBUTION, as well ) :

You CANNOT BUY COMEDY THIS GOOD!!!

al gore.jpg

So...just so you're on equal footing...what predictions did you make 10 years ago that have come true?

So...just so you're on equal footing...what predictions did you make 10 years ago that have come true?

I predicted Al Gore was full of sh*t. :lamo

I perdicted that the climate was not going to warm as much as the IPCC predicted, 0.3c.

I will now also predict that the climate will not warm in the comming decade as much as the IPCC predits, that is less than +0.3c to +0.5c.

We all, well most of us, knew back then that Al Gore's predictions were an exaggeration designed to provoke a response.

But that does not diminish that climate change is occurring, and we have at least some contribution as to why we are seeing the trends that we see. It does not excuse Al Gore's methods at all, and in some way he has damaged his own campaign on climate change. We still have the issue, and we still need to consider solutions.

Still pitching your right wing hysterics, huh Grok?

The concrete slab that's my basement floor has melted. There's a smokey hole with flames belching from it. I'm sitting on the steps right now with an automatic shotgun, waiting for republicans to start crawling out of it.

Awwww. Nevermind. The Samsung washer just exploded. That was it. False alarm.

I perdicted that the climate was not going to warm as much as the IPCC predicted, 0.3c.

I will now also predict that the climate will not warm in the comming decade as much as the IPCC predits, that is less than +0.3c to +0.5c.

The world's population doubled from 1875 (2B folks) to 1975 (4B folks). Using that historical (scientific?) data (and its observed rate of change) one could predict that by 2075 we will have 8B folks living and using energy on the planet. Of course, the real crisis won't be until 2175 when we will (likely?) have 16B folks tryng to not really **** up the planet using voluntary agreements.

Do you suppose that the real 'crisis' might just be the rate at which humans (demand to?) reproduce compared to other speciies on this planet?

Do you suppose that the real 'crisis' might just be the rate at which humans (demand to?) reproduce compared to other speciies on this planet?

I agree it's a huge problem. To change that, I think we are going to have to pull up Third world nations to a much closer to Western world standard of living. When they have two children, and both children almost always survive to adulthood, when they can get a good education, when they can easily buy and afford contraception, things will start to change I think, but not before.

The world's population doubled from 1875 (2B folks) to 1975 (4B folks). Using that historical (scientific?) data (and its observed rate of change) one could predict that by 2075 we will have 8B folks living and using energy on the planet. Of course, the real crisis won't be until 2175 when we will (likely?) have 16B folks tryng to not really **** up the planet using voluntary agreements.

No. Reproduction rates decrease sharply as wealth increases, and have been decreasing for decades across the globe. At current, we are scheduled to peak - population wise - in the 2050s, and then begin aging and shrinking in numbers.

I agree it's a huge problem. To change that, I think we are going to have to pull up Third world nations to a much closer to Western world standard of living. When they have two children, and both children almost always survive to adulthood, when they can get a good education, when they can easily buy and afford contraception, things will start to change I think, but not before.

Hmm... the solution (regardless of the stated 'scientific' problem?) always seems to be (ever more?) global income redistribution. One slight problem is that the "Western world standard of living" seems to be cited as (has been scientifically proven to be?) the cause of most of the added atmospheric CO2.

No. Reproduction rates decrease sharply as wealth increases, and have been decreasing for decades across the globe. At current, we are scheduled to peak - population wise - in the 2050s, and then begin aging and shrinking in numbers.

Hmm... didn't wealth increase profoundly from 1875 to 1975 and has continued to do so until now? BTW, 2050 is not very far (a mere generation?) from my stated date of 2075. The world population is now said to be 7.6B which is very close to my stated prediction of 8B - indicating that I may have underestimated its actual 2075 figure.

The world will not reach 11 billion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyzBoHo5EI

By 2050 we will have asteroids in orbit which will be being mined for resources that will make the price of metals and other stuff crash.

By 2100 we will have very large habitats in orbit. Potentially billions of people living on them in conditions of paradise.

The earth can easily support a vastly higher population than we will get to before we can use the practically unlimited resources of the solar system.

See this;

https://inhabitat.com/australian-de...ons-of-vegetables-with-just-seawater-and-sun/

Needs the food price to be about twice as much as it is to be ecconomic. Easy if everybody is as rich as we are.

10 years Ago, Al Gore Predicted that the Arctic Circle Would be "Ice Free in 5 years."

d788f98415d8910e9443859845c6e636.gif

I wonder how many deniers can extrapolate the trend?

Hmm... didn't wealth increase profoundly from 1875 to 1975 and has continued to do so until now?

Sort of - growth has been generally logarithmic, vice geometric, over the expanse of humanity's rise.

But yes, it did. And birthrates dropped dramatically in the time period you mention.

BTW, 2050 is not very far (a mere generation?) from my stated date of 2075. The world population is now said to be 7.6B which is very close to my stated prediction of 8B - indicating that I may have underestimated its actual 2075 figure.

The world population will peak at 8.7 billion people in 2055 and then decline to 8 billion by 2100, according to new research by Deutsche Bank

Regardless of specifics, I think, the general point stands - we aren't in danger of having too many babies, but too few.

Sort of - growth has been generally logarithmic, vice geometric, over the expanse of humanity's rise.

But yes, it did. And birthrates dropped dramatically in the time period you mention.

The world population will peak at 8.7 billion people in 2055 and then decline to 8 billion by 2100, according to new research by Deutsche Bank

Regardless of specifics, I think, the general point stands - we aren't in danger of having too many babies, but too few.

Who, exactly, is this we that is in danger of having too few babies?

Who, exactly, is this we that is in danger of having too few babies?
America in particular, but the human populace long term.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

ManBearPig was able to put the warming he predicted into a "lock box" and kept us all safe.

America in particular, but the human populace long term.

What, exactly, is your goal for the US popualtion which has doubled since 1950 and has gone from 65% to 80% urban? Should we get more like Japan or what?

What, exactly, is your goal for the US popualtion which has doubled since 1950 and has gone from 65% to 80% urban? Should we get more like Japan or what?
I would say we likely need steady growth. Especially in the US, those who don't want the entitlements (which are based on the assumption of having lots of kids and grandkids to pay for the grandparents) to collapse should be cheering for more younguns.

I would say we likely need steady growth. Especially in the US, those who don't want the entitlements (which are based on the assumption of having lots of kids and grandkids to pay for the grandparents) to collapse should be cheering for more younguns.

Hmm... we need more folks (who won't have jobs?) to keep taxes lower. The labor force participation rate is dropping and predicted to keep doing so.

Dec. 13, 2008, to a German audience of the Warmist Deluded, The Goracle predicted that the Arctic Ice Cap would melt completely. He then REPEATED his Grand Prediction, at the fateful COPENHAGEN CONFERENCE, ( also where the IPCC accidentally revealed that "fighting AGW " was not about the "climate" at all...but that it was about "leveling the playing field"...aka: INCOME REDISTRIBUTION, as well ) :

You CANNOT BUY COMEDY THIS GOOD!!!

View attachment 67246220

I would have thought better of Obama if he had gone around the world apologizing for Americans like Gore than apologizing for Americans like the soldiers who have fought and died for this country and for peace on earth over the last dozen or so decades.

> Gore points out the fact of rapidly-declining Arctic ice and references a projection by one scientist of a "75% chance" that sea ice extent could touch zero during summer in 5-7 years - along with another projection by a different scientist that it could happen in 22 years - for his own part noting that "we will find out."

> Arctic sea ice continues to decline

> Partisan hacks rejoice and laugh that a politician 'predicted' something that didn't occur, and that he didn't even predict :roll:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom