• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10 years after the Bush Mortgage Bubble, mortgage defaults finally back to normal

Glass steagal had little to do with the Subprime fiasco.

Its a Red herring pushed by people who refuse to acknowledge reality.

2 years prior to Glass Steagal ( 1998 ) Freddie Mac securtizied the FIRST large bundle of MBSs backed by Subprime loans and guaranteed 380 Million dollars in Subprime backed securities

From 1998 to 2004 the GSEs purchased securtizied and sold off as " AAA " MBSs hundreds of Billions of dollars in Subprime debt

YOU are the LAST person to talk about the bubble and crash. You've had your ass handed to you on this issue over and over, yet you never learn.. And oh, BTW the very 1st time you and I discussed this was because YOU mentioned and blamed Bill Clinton for the crash because he signed Gramm-Leach-Bliley. I then pointed out it was a Republican bill, then you changed your tune to now say GS had little to do with the fiasco? LOL

Like I said, you of all people here can not be taken seriously. Your partisan blinders render all your statements on this subject useless.

Have a nice day.

As for the rest here, this issue has been done to death. And I'm not going to rehash it yet again. If the Republicans here believe it was all the Dems fault, then believe it. Stay ignorant about what went on, and because of politics let YOUR GOP politicians who **** on you skate yet again. They took Wall Streets side before during and after the crash. But keep defending them, WS is putting more money in their pockets anyway. So keep excusing them them and keep voting for them. I no longer care.

Impending elections of Dems caused it??? It was a liberal idea so that excuses the GOP? Unbelievable!! Sometimes you guys deserve to be **** on.

Last edited:
It was the Republican-led Congress, with a veto-proof majority.

1920px-Gramm-Leach-Bliley_Vote_1999.png

Both parties were to blame.

And this has what to do with Bush? He wasn't in Congress. He wasn't the President. How is this the *BUSH* Bubble? He had nothing whatsoever to do with starting it.

Yet another one of these threads with the same 3 points being raised and the same baseless accusation being hurled?

:roll:

I'd have thought that a single thread would have been more than sufficient.

I propose that the 2 thread be merged.

:inandout:

Yet another one of these threads with the same 3 points being raised and the same baseless accusation being hurled?

:roll:

I'd have thought that a single thread would have been more than sufficient.

I propose that the 2 thread be merged.

:inandout:

2nd the motion....

YOU are the LAST person to talk about the bubble and crash. You've had your ass handed to you on this issue over and over, yet you never learn.. And oh, BTW the very 1st time you and I discussed this was because YOU mentioned and blamed Bill Clinton for the crash because he signed Gramm-Leach-Bliley. I then pointed out it was a Republican bill, then you changed your tune to now say GS had little to do with the fiasco? LOL

Like I said, you of all people here can not be taken seriously. Your partisan blinders render all your statements on this subject useless.

Have a nice day.

As for the rest here, this issue has been done to death. And I'm not going to rehash it yet again. If the Republicans here believe it was all the Dems fault, then believe it. Stay ignorant about what went on, and because of politics let YOUR GOP politicians who **** on you skate yet again. They took Wall Streets side before during and after the crash. But keep defending them, WS is putting more money in their pockets anyway. So keep excusing them them and keep voting for them. I no longer care.

Impending elections of Dems caused it??? It was a liberal idea so that excuses the GOP? Unbelievable!! Sometimes you guys deserve to be **** on.

How would you know if Ive had my ass handed to me ? You have no idea what you're talking about to begin with

Subprime lending is derived from the liberal philosophy of equality for everyone. If everyone paid their mortgage, we wouldn't have had problems, but we did have problems because money was lent to people who weren't realistically qualified, it's really as simple as that. Even if Bush supported this, you shouldn't be shoving it in his face and blaming him because it's ultimately a liberal idea. It's like when libs say "hey, look at red states and all of the people on welfare"...and I don't get the complaint because they're your programs. You should be proud, but you should also realize that these folks would never be on welfare if it wasn't for liberal ideas.

what a genius narrative JC "it looks a like librul thing". Er uh if a democrat implements health care mandates should conservatives accept complete responsibility for that? Anyhoo, back here in reality, you hold people responsible for their actions instead of posting silly and tortured narratives to not hold them responsible for their actions. And Bush's policies and regulation caused the Bush Mortgage Bubble.

it was sort of set up like a t-ball. it was the lib idea to give loans to people who objectively didn't qualify for the loans. More "fairness" nonsense. Economic reality generally prevails over Emoto-babbling pandering for votes

It wasn't the Bush mortgage bubble, it was the Dem. Congress mortgage bubble.... It was a Dem congress that passed the laws that allowed the bubble to form and it was the impending election of a Dem. congress and it's anticipated anti-business attitude that caused it to pop.

Anyone with any objectivity understands that the underpinnings of the mortgage crisis started well before Bush. And Bush had little to do with it.

Hey guys, whining about me calling the Bush Mortgage Bubble the Bush Mortgage Bubble doesn’t change the facts. Read this very slowly. Saying 'Bush Mortgage Bubble' and 'Great Bush Recession' meets all applicable conservative standards: it happened on Bush’s watch. It also meets all honest and intelligent standards because they were Bush’s policies that caused them. Please post the facts that show it didn’t start late 2004 exactly as stated by the Bush working group.

“The Presidents Working Group’s March policy statement acknowledged that turmoil in financial markets clearly was triggered by a dramatic weakening of underwriting standards for U.S. subprime mortgages, beginning in late 2004 and extending into 2007.”

BONUS FACT

"Subprime loans originated in late 2005 and 2006 are playing a major role in recent defaults and foreclosures."

U.S. GAO - Information on Recent Default and Foreclosure Trends for Home Mortgages and Associated Economic and Market Developments

what a genius narrative JC "it looks a like librul thing". Er uh if a democrat implements health care mandates should conservatives accept complete responsibility for that? Anyhoo, back here in reality, you hold people responsible for their actions instead of posting silly and tortured narratives to not hold them responsible for their actions. And Bush's policies and regulation caused the Bush Mortgage Bubble.

Your opinion is noted.... As is it's over simplistic and flawed look at the the problem.

Wow, it took 10 years after the Bush Mortgage Bubble popped for defaults to finally get back to normal. that just shows how bad the Bush Mortgage Bubble was.

According to Capital Economics, the delinquency rate for US mortgages and foreclosure rate for homes are now back to their historical averages.

US delinquency and foreclosure rate down - Business Insider

I think it is more than a little disingenuous to call it the Bush Mortgage Bubble.

Hey guys, whining about me calling the Bush Mortgage Bubble the Bush Mortgage Bubble doesn’t change the facts. Read this very slowly. Saying 'Bush Mortgage Bubble' and 'Great Bush Recession' meets all applicable conservative standards: it happened on Bush’s watch. It also meets all honest and intelligent standards because they were Bush’s policies that caused them. Please post the facts that show it didn’t start late 2004 exactly as stated by the Bush working group.

“The Presidents Working Group’s March policy statement acknowledged that turmoil in financial markets clearly was triggered by a dramatic weakening of underwriting standards for U.S. subprime mortgages, beginning in late 2004 and extending into 2007.”

BONUS FACT

"Subprime loans originated in late 2005 and 2006 are playing a major role in recent defaults and foreclosures."

U.S. GAO - Information on Recent Default and Foreclosure Trends for Home Mortgages and Associated Economic and Market Developments

Yeah no on many levels.

One.. So your argument is "well they do it so its okay for me"? Please..

Two.: If it did in fact start in 2004 which is not really true since the underpinnings of the Crisis start back before Clinton even. But even if its true in 2004.. its irrelevant. The question is whether Bush's direct actions caused the bubble and crisis. And clearly they did not.

Please produce evidence that Bush forced people to take loans they could not afford.

Please produce evidence that Bush forced mortgage companies to loan money to people that could not afford it.

Please produce evidence that Bush forced investment companies to hide bad loans in investments and peddle them to investors.

Wow, it took 10 years after the Bush Mortgage Bubble popped for defaults to finally get back to normal. that just shows how bad the Bush Mortgage Bubble was.

According to Capital Economics, the delinquency rate for US mortgages and foreclosure rate for homes are now back to their historical averages.

US delinquency and foreclosure rate down - Business Insider

are you really that dishonest to blame the entire mortgage crisis on one party, and one president?

you dont think the other side had any culpability?

Does anyone know what is our quota of stupid, useless, deceitful threads dedicated to the non-existent "Bush Mortgage Bubble"? Hopefully we're at quota.

Does anyone know what is our quota of stupid, useless, deceitful threads dedicated to the non-existent "Bush Mortgage Bubble"? Hopefully we're at quota.

I believe we should now all get bonuses for being over quota.

Bull****.

Every economist in the world marks the beginning in the Carter administration, where someone got the weird idea if everyone owned their own home, we'd all be rich.

The Reagan administration ignored it, the Clinton administration expanded it 200 fold, and both Clinton and Bush ignored the warnings from independent economists.

The cause of the mortgage bubble was good old American greed mixed with leftist voodoo economics.

Fenton destroyed your thread with only the second post. :lamo But just out of curiousity, does it really sound like a Conservative idea to give loans to people who really don't qualify for the sake of equality? Sounds more like a Lib idea, doesn't it?

GW Bush was a liberal? Those bad loans were made to make money for the banks and they did not care if the were paid off. They got their money up front and sold those loans to unsuspecting investors who thought they were getting AAA mortgage backed securities.

Fannie and Freddie were just another investor for the banks to swindle. GW Bush himself turned bankers shill and boasted that he got Fannie to commit to 440 Billion $ to buy the new subprimes in his 2002 "Minority Housing Initiative Program." He even evoked 911 and promised that the plan would "turn incredible evil into incredible good," I swear, I'm not making that up. Heres the bit about Fannie in 2002

And so, therefore, I've called -- yesterday, I called upon the private sector to help us and help the home buyers. We need more capital in the private markets for first-time, low-income buyers. And I'm proud to report that Fannie Mae has heard the call and, as I understand, it's about $440 billion over a period of time. They've used their influence to create that much capital available for the type of home buyer we're talking about here. It's in their charter; it now needs to be implemented. Freddie Mac is interested in helping. I appreciate both of those agencies providing the underpinnings of good capital.

Read the whole thing and tell me that this wasn't Bush kicking off the housing bubble.
HUD Archives: President George W. Bush Speaks to HUD Employees on National Homeownership Month (6/18/02)

Can you believe he actually said "It's in their charter, it NOW needs to be implemented"? If you know why?, it all will make sense. Anyway there's plenty more, but I fear your brain might explode.

Last edited:
GW Bush was a liberal? Those bad loans were made to make money for the banks and they did not care if the were paid off. They got their money up front and sold those loans to unsuspecting investors who thought they were getting AAA mortgage backed securities.

Fannie and Freddie were just another investor for the banks to swindle. GW Bush himself turned bankers shill and boasted that he got Fannie to commit to 440 Billion $ to buy the new subprimes in his 2002 "Minority Housing Initiative Program." He even evoked 911 and promised that the plan would "turn incredible evil into incredible good," I swear, I'm not making that up. Heres the bit about Fannie in 2002

Read the whole thing and tell me that this wasn't Bush kicking off the housing bubble.
HUD Archives: President George W. Bush Speaks to HUD Employees on National Homeownership Month (6/18/02)

Can you believe he actually said "It's in their charter, it NOW needs to be implemented"? If you know why?, it all will make sense. Anyway there's plenty more, but I fear your brain might explode.

Fannie Mae pays 400 Million dollar fine
https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2006/2006-80.htm

Fannie and Freddie ommit hundreds of Billions of dollars in worthless debt from their 2004-2008 SEC quarterly filings
https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2011/2011-267.htm

Fannie Mae was Country Wide's single largest customer
Countrywide Was Fannie Mae?s Top Customer | The Truth About Mortgage.com

" The GSEs, another investor swindled by the Banks "....Lol

Fannie Mae pays 400 Million dollar fine
https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2006/2006-80.htm

Fannie and Freddie ommit hundreds of Billions of dollars in worthless debt from their 2004-2008 SEC quarterly filings
https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2011/2011-267.htm

Fannie Mae was Country Wide's single largest customer

" The GSEs, another investor swindled by the Banks "....Lol

What would you call it then? They bought $440 Billion of worthless subprime garbage because Bush told them it was "in their charter". Like I said the banks made their money up front and the more bad mortgages they could unload the more they could write. Who owns Countrywide's mortgages now? Skank of America that's who.

BBB5_Subprime_Mortgage_origination.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, like I said. Of all the excuses to cover-up for the GOP mistakes leading to the crash this is 1 of the saddest. And shows just how brainwashed some Republicans are.

It's a liberal idea so the Republicans and Bush should be excused for their F'ups?! lol

I hope you are kidding, but I doubt it.

Anyway what companies like Country Wide were doing, giving bad loans to people was mostly about greed and commissions, it really had nothing to do with a political ideology.

Bull****.

Every economist in the world marks the beginning in the Carter administration, where someone got the weird idea if everyone owned their own home, we'd all be rich.

The Reagan administration ignored it, the Clinton administration expanded it 200 fold, and both Clinton and Bush ignored the warnings from independent economists.

The cause of the mortgage bubble was good old American greed mixed with leftist voodoo economics.

I don't mean to interrupt your chat room-esque rant but besides the fact that you only assure me I'm wrong, you also ignore the facts I've posted. Explain how the economists on Bush's Working Group came to the conclusion that it started late 2004.

The Presidents Working Group’s March policy statement acknowledged that turmoil in financial markets clearly was triggered by a dramatic weakening of underwriting standards for U.S. subprime mortgages, beginning in late 2004 and extending into 2007

oops, there goes your "Every economist in the world" narrative. I'm sorry I shredded that. I know how much it meant to you.

Your opinion is noted.... As is it's over simplistic and flawed look at the the problem.

er uh Fled, did you think you were responding to the post that literally said "giving out loans to anybody regardless of ability to pay sounds like something liberals would do so therefore its their fault." Yea, simplistic and flawed would be a complement to that narrative. You couldn't be responding to my post because I've posted Bush's Working Group telling you it started late 2004 (practically at the start of Bush's second term) and I posted Bush's policy of preempting all state laws against predatory lending for the explicitly stated purpose of increasing subprime lending. just take a quick gander at posts 9 and 10. Just based on those two posts, simplistic and flawed doesn't apply to my opinion.

I don't mean to interrupt your chat room-esque rant but besides the fact that you only assure me I'm wrong, you also ignore the facts I've posted. Explain how the economists on Bush's Working Group came to the conclusion that it started late 2004.

The Presidents Working Group’s March policy statement acknowledged that turmoil in financial markets clearly was triggered by a dramatic weakening of underwriting standards for U.S. subprime mortgages, beginning in late 2004 and extending into 2007

oops, there goes your "Every economist in the world" narrative. I'm sorry I shredded that. I know how much it meant to you.

One cannot lay the blame for what happened on Bush alone...

Did he write, sign or somehow influence the laws leading to the debacle that were in effect long before he took office?

No.

Did he force any bank to take sub-prime loans?

No.

And there is a whole hell of a lot more nos to the story...

er uh Fled, did you think you were responding to the post that literally said "giving out loans to anybody regardless of ability to pay sounds like something liberals would do so therefore its their fault." Yea, simplistic and flawed would be a complement to that narrative. You couldn't be responding to my post because I've posted Bush's Working Group telling you it started late 2004 (practically at the start of Bush's second term) and I posted Bush's policy of preempting all state laws against predatory lending for the explicitly stated purpose of increasing subprime lending. just take a quick gander at posts 9 and 10. Just based on those two posts, simplistic and flawed doesn't apply to my opinion.

I was referring to your rather ignorant take on who was to blame.

What would you call it then? They bought $440 Billion of worthless subprime garbage because Bush told them it was "in their charter".

James Johnson, FNMA CEO commits GSEs to 1 Trillion dollars in Subprime purchases
Congressional Record - 103rd Congress (1993-1994) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Franklin Raines announces Fannie reached 1 Trillion dollar goal early
Fannie Mae to Meet $1 Trillion Goal Early; CEO Raines Launches Ten-Year $2 Trillion ?American Dream

Andrew Cuomo 2.4 Trillion dollar GSE Subprime Commitment
HUD Archives: Cuomo Announces Action to Provide $2.4 Trillion in Mortgages for Affordable Housing for 28.1 Million Families

Bush calls for 3rd party GSE regulator
New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - NYTimes.com

Fannie Mae SEC investigation begins
https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2004-172.htm

Back
Top Bottom