• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10-year-old upset about waking up early/headset guns down mother; charged as an adult

If you're installing cameras to watch your little damian, you have waited too long to deal with the problem appropriately.

Also, probably should secure your firearms better.

Never get caught on the shitter without at least a 12 gauge.
Wouldn't be much help. I've seen horror movies. I know where the danger will come from.
And unless you live in the woods there's nothing you can do about it :oops:

I disagree. Just judging from the most cursory glance of the facts, the child seems to be suffering from some form of antisocial personality disorder, what used to be referred to as "psychopathy" or "sociopathy." No amount of good parenting can ameliorate the behavior of a child incapable of empathy or impulse control. Just ask Ted Bundy's parents.
Or Donald Trump's. If they were still alive. But his niece, Mary Trump, a psychologist (or psychiatrist) can supply you with some answers.

What I was thinking.

Most mentally troubled people can be helped before a crisis occurs.

Psychopaths are different. They are born, not created over time, and are incapable of feeling empathy or love. Their only concern is for themselves.
A small point of clarity: the science on sociopath emotionality and even empathy is ahead of the pop culture knowledge about it. In short, nearly all sociopaths can empathize and feel love, but that it is attenuated by reward systems and solipsism, not unlike feral cats or all infants.

My point stands though: Gun ownership requires responsible ownership (that should go without saying) and if you can't secure the key then use a (strong) safe with a combo lock instead. If the safe comes with a key for backup, give it to a trusted friend to hold. Use the imagination and think through other possible ways the child might be able to gain access to it.
No your point of keep your gun inside a safe, inside another safe, inside another safe that’s yet inside another safe does not stand. You didn’t know what you were talking about when you made that comment and it showed.

As a political body, I don't think there's any laws we can pass to prevent this. This could happen in any country.
Most, if not all states have laws concerning storing guns is a safe manner.
"The boy was allegedly mad at his mom for waking him up early and not letting him have something on Amazon, according to a criminal complaint."

Sad.

I wouldn't be dogmatic about that either way. Reportedly a rather large fraction of corporate CEOs are sociopaths, but odds are most of them aren't quite at American Psycho levels, aren't going around killing people (at least directly). Is that just because their ASPD is less severe, or because environment shapes the way in which naked self-interest and lack of empathy/impulse control is manifest? Average good parenting might not be enough to make a passable or at least vaguely law-abiding citizen out of a sociopath - so 'blame the parents' may be a simplistic and unfair response to this kid's actions - but does that mean that there's any cases in which "no amount" of good parenting coupled with psychiatric/medical support (which should obviously be a part of good parenting for such a child) can do the job?

And if it were the case that some kids are unavoidably destined to be violent, vicious people, what should be done with those kids?
You’re confusing and conflating sociopaths with psychopaths. The two are not the same.

Sociopathy is considered an ASPD. Psychopathy is not.

Sociopaths do have the ability to feel empathy and even love on a shallow level, and may benefit from (early) childhood intervention/therapy.

Psychopaths, not so much, as they are simply not capable of any genuine emotion having to do with caring about anyone else. They can, and often do, become very good over time at mimicking empathy, sympathy and even love, but it is all fake.

First thing that should happen with the kid that murdered his mother, obviously, is to have mental health professionals (PhD/MD) evaluate him and determine what, if any, treatment might be helpful.

The boy should absolutely continue to be kept in an environment that is safe to him, and others.

You’re confusing and conflating sociopaths with psychopaths. The two are not the same.

Sociopaths do have the ability to feel empathy and even love on a shallow level, and may benefit from (early) childhood intervention/therapy.

Psychopaths, not so much, as they are simply not capable of any genuine emotion having to do with caring about anyone else. They can, and often do, become very good over time at mimicking empathy, sympathy and even love, but it is all fake.

First thing that should happen with the kid that murdered his mother, obviously, is to have mental health professionals (PhD/MD) evaluate him and determine what, if any, treatment might be helpful.

The boy should absolutely continue to be kept in an environment that is safe to him, and others.
'Psychopaths' feel empathy. They are just likely to weaponize it.

A small point of clarity: the science on sociopath emotionality and even empathy is ahead of the pop culture knowledge about it. In short, nearly all sociopaths can empathize and feel love, but that it is attenuated by reward systems and solipsism, not unlike feral cats or all infants.
I understand that.

I said psychopath. A whole ‘nother thing.

Neither term is actually used in mental health. It's like saying cars vs Toyota.

We use the actual diagnosis

I'm thinking about all of our fabulous Gun Nuts who always talk about getting a gun into their small childs hands just as soon as the kid can hold it.

C R E E P Y........and PRAISE GUN!!!!! 🙏 🙏 🙏
LOL! Who said that? Name one person.

Psychopaths do not feel empathy. Not sure where you got that notion.
I got it from the literature. The old assumption that 'psychopaths' are without empathy is demonstrably false.

Back
Top Bottom