• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10-year-old upset about waking up early/headset guns down mother; charged as an adult

Did the parent fail to keep their child from gaining access to a gun or not? We are not talking about a stabbing death here. The kid used his parents gun. That is the parents fault. What good is a gun safe if you don't keep the key where it won't be found. Is that too difficult?
Irrational response.

Charged as an adult.

Why are they doing that? It isn't an adult, it's a child. Why do we have a juvenile system when everytime a DA wants to look tough they charge minors "as adults"?

In a world of stubbornly and purposefully stupid statements the above reigns supreme.
But why? What difference does it make that the parent left the key in a place where the child could gain access to it? It seems to me she might as well have just left the gun out.

Charged as an adult.

Why are they doing that? It isn't an adult, it's a child. Why do we have a juvenile system when everytime a DA wants to look tough they charge minors "as adults"?
Yep I've never been a fan of the exceptions either. It always seems more emotional than logical, especially for someone this young.

Did the parent fail to keep their child from gaining access to a gun or not? We are not talking about a stabbing death here. The kid used his parents gun. That is the parents fault. What good is a gun safe if you don't keep the key where it won't be found. Is that too difficult?

In fact, it is virtually impossible to hide a key from someone who lives in your home. Same with money or credit cards.

Thanks for assisting in proving that other poster wrong.

What i proved was your attempted use of a fallacy was bogus. Outed. Revealed to be false.

Maybe laws aren't the solution. Better mental health resources aimed at identifying such individuals and developong improved treatment options would go a long way.
Yeah, that would be great, how are you going to pay for it?

I disagree. Just judging from the most cursory glance of the facts, the child seems to be suffering from some form of antisocial personality disorder, what used to be referred to as "psychopathy" or "sociopathy." No amount of good parenting can ameliorate the behavior of a child incapable of empathy or impulse control. Just ask Ted Bundy's parents.
What I was thinking.

Most mentally troubled people can be helped before a crisis occurs.

Psychopaths are different. They are born, not created over time, and are incapable of feeling empathy or love. Their only concern is for themselves.
I wouldn't be dogmatic about that either way. Reportedly a rather large fraction of corporate CEOs are sociopaths, but odds are most of them aren't quite at American Psycho levels, aren't going around killing people (at least directly). Is that just because their ASPD is less severe, or because environment shapes the way in which naked self-interest and lack of empathy/impulse control is manifest? Average good parenting might not be enough to make a passable or at least vaguely law-abiding citizen out of a sociopath - so 'blame the parents' may be a simplistic and unfair response to this kid's actions - but does that mean that there's any cases in which "no amount" of good parenting coupled with psychiatric/medical support (which should obviously be a part of good parenting for such a child) can do the job?

And if it were the case that some kids are unavoidably destined to be violent, vicious people, what should be done with those kids?

Last edited:
What i proved was your attempted use of a fallacy was bogus. Outed. Revealed to be false.

People were shot to death in Japan, despite the assertion it never happens?

Yes, you proved that quite well.

People were shot to death in Japan, despite the assertion it never happens?

Yes, you proved that quite well.
10 year olds are shooting their parents in Japan? Where????

10 year olds are shooting their parents in Japan? Where????

Hence my earlier comment. You were presented with an example of a Japanese child killing his parent, but you insist the killing must be done with a gun to falsify your statement.

And likely few people here familiar with your debate style, would have any doubt that if a case of a Japanese child shooting a parent was presented, you would grouse that the child didn't have blonde hair.

Hence my earlier comment. You were presented with an example of a Japanese child killing his parent, but you insist the killing must be done with a gun to falsify your statement.

And likely few people here familiar with your debate style, would have any doubt that if a case of a Japanese child shooting a parent was presented, you would grouse that the child didn't have blonde hair.
So this isn't happening in Japan. And your hair color post was dumb.

Got it

Back
Top Bottom