• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10 Worst Tech Predictions of All Time

Hehe some funny ones, but also a few that might still happen.

The tablet thing for example... Tablets might not be DOA, but neither was the netbook. There is a shift going on in the market. I could easily see big tablets be replaced by hybrid PCs, as people realize that not only are big tablets heavy, but they are highly limiting as a productivity and creation tool. That is why a system like Windows 8 can be very dangerous for companies with no touch enabled true operating system... especially in the corporate world. Lots of companies have invested in iPads, but are realizing now that people still use their PC for creation and real work, so the question is when they will take the plunge and combine the two and hence save money.

You are also already seeing a shift away from large tablets to smaller 7 inch tablets (which makes Jobs comment funny), simply because people are realizing that having a 10 inch tablet is not exactly as "mobile" as they thought. Plus having a 7 inch with the same or better capability of the 10 inch tablet at a much lower price, will always make people think twice. I would always recommend a 7 inch tablet over a 10 inch one.

Oh and Steve Ballmer was right.. the original iPhone was a flop... that is why Apple replaced it pretty fast with a 3G model.

But just think.. a year ago, the iPad was ruling supreme with a massive market share.. now it is heading the same way as the iPhone world wide... down down down and Android tablets are out selling the iPad... in one freaking year. The electronics industry changes so fast..

They had the iPhone one in their but they forgot the anti-iPad climate that surrounded its launch in 2010.

Even now, with millions of iPads sold, I still read a lot of hatred and doom about Apple on PC websites.

The tablet thing for example... Tablets might not be DOA, but neither was the netbook. There is a shift going on in the market. I could easily see big tablets be replaced by hybrid PCs, as people realize that not only are big tablets heavy, but they are highly limiting as a productivity and creation tool. That is why a system like Windows 8 can be very dangerous for companies with no touch enabled true operating system... especially in the corporate world. Lots of companies have invested in iPads, but are realizing now that people still use their PC for creation and real work, so the question is when they will take the plunge and combine the two and hence save money.

You are also already seeing a shift away from large tablets to smaller 7 inch tablets (which makes Jobs comment funny), simply because people are realizing that having a 10 inch tablet is not exactly as "mobile" as they thought. Plus having a 7 inch with the same or better capability of the 10 inch tablet at a much lower price, will always make people think twice. I would always recommend a 7 inch tablet over a 10 inch one.

Oh and Steve Ballmer was right.. the original iPhone was a flop... that is why Apple replaced it pretty fast with a 3G model.

But just think.. a year ago, the iPad was ruling supreme with a massive market share.. now it is heading the same way as the iPhone world wide... down down down and Android tablets are out selling the iPad... in one freaking year. The electronics industry changes so fast..

And hellOOOOO number one Apple doomsayer! :lamo

You've modified your (i)tune in the last few years Pete - from predictions of failure to it'll not be number one anymore..

They had the iPhone one in their but they forgot the anti-iPad climate that surrounded its launch in 2010.

Even now, with millions of iPads sold, I still read a lot of hatred and doom about Apple on PC websites.

I read alot of hate for Apple, Mircosoft, HP, etc.. on PC Websites. The popular software/hardware always seem to garner a lot of hate becuse there not perfect and geared toward the "common" user.

(sidenote: same thing seems to happen to Yankees, Walmart, and America in general anything successful is hated it IMHO, or hated for being good but not perfect)

And hellOOOOO number one Apple doomsayer! :lamo

You've modified your (i)tune in the last few years Pete - from predictions of failure to it'll not be number one anymore..

I have never stated that Apple will fail ... I have stated that the markets will change away from Apple and that has happened in every market but the US.

Like it or not Android dwarfs Apple in sales and marketshare in every country on the planet minus the US. Apple is not even breaking 5 market share on phones in China... hell it barely breaks 4%.

Apple has problems that it's trying to mask with big number sales.

Apple margins are declining quite a bit as are its market share in the richer countries. This is going to be a problem for Apple going forward. Don't get me wrong, Apple can still make big bucks, but it's doing so now on larger revenue, meaning to generate the kind of profits that people are expecting, Apple has to sell exponentially more goods. Apple has to grow its top line revenue at a much faster rate to keep its profits. This obviously cannot continue indefinitely. Furthermore, how long can Apple rely on its emotional fanbase when Android products are coming out that are objectively better and cheaper?

And formerly diehard Apple Bloggers like this guy and this guy are showing that even the most diehard Apple fans are starting to realize there are, at least for them, better choices.

Apple in my opinion, has moved from a rising star into a cash cow. It's no longer the innovator, and it's now trying to hold on to its place rather than disrupt everyone else and take their lunch and Wall Street pounded on it for that.

Apple is not going away, now or any time soon. But it has changed quite a bit from the early iPhone days. In many ways, Apple's primary job is not to sell phones or tablets, but to sell extremely marked up NAND memory.

Last edited:
. Apple is not even breaking 5 market share on phones in China... hell it barely breaks 4%.

That's partially because there still isn't a deal with China Mobile. Once that happens and if the iPhone 5C is China or South East Asia specific, their market share will rise quite a bit. Don't be surprised to see iPhones moving well into the 30% once those two things happen. More if Tim Cook is willing to eat margin on the phones.

The tablet thing for example... Tablets might not be DOA, but neither was the netbook. There is a shift going on in the market. I could easily see big tablets be replaced by hybrid PCs, as people realize that not only are big tablets heavy, but they are highly limiting as a productivity and creation tool.

Maybe, or big tablets are on their way out simply because many people have found the 7~8" tablet a better choice for consumer use? Remember that the iPad Mini, despite being a clearly inferior product outside of price and weight is cannibalizing its way through 9.7" iPad sales. This is partially a reason why the rumors on a Retina iPad Mini in certain circles are being treated as just that: rumors. The margin damage that a Retina iPad would have on Apple will be considerable. Also, I still believe that people don't use tablets for content creation. If you buy a tablet, you're generally not intending to do real work for most things. There are some industries that can, but they're mostly reviewing documents on them and it works for them.

Insurance agencies, engineering blueprints in the field, sales at the retail level, big tablets work well in those fields where content creation isn't important. Content creation is still done on laptops and desktops and will be for the foreseeable future.

That is why a system like Windows 8 can be very dangerous for companies with no touch enabled true operating system... especially in the corporate world. Lots of companies have invested in iPads, but are realizing now that people still use their PC for creation and real work, so the question is when they will take the plunge and combine the two and hence save money.

I doubt it. Touch screen hybrids are fricken expensive where iPad 2s aren't. And it makes no sense to buy content creating devices for people who don't create content. Battery life on these hybrids isn't good compared to the 12+ hours on an iPad. My old office had a few touch screen laptops and everyone hated them.

Depends what you're using it for. Reviewing insurance claims is better on a 10" over a 7." Watching movies on a 7" on a plane is better than a 10".

You read a lot of hatred and doom about Apple because the PC websites and electronic websites are so biased for Apple and their products. The sites have page after page of useless Apple news.. "oh look a new thingy has been made for the iPad".. revolutionary!, where as the competition gets nothing and more than often negative reviews. Or every single freaking beta and normal update for iOS and OSX being reported on in detail, even though it is mostly bug fixes. No other company gets so much free publicity... and considering they are a minor player outside the US.. then why?

My favourite was the reviews of the iPhone that praised it to no end, and when they went to the competition they found that not having an SD card slot was a massive negative for the competition but not for the iPhone? WTF? They still do it with the Google Nexus devices, which dont have an SD slot... and yet the iPhone nor iPad also dont have it, and yet it does not count down in those reviews... freaking hypocrites.

Another example is the companies that make marketshare and sales reports, world wide and per country. When they come out, many sites go all out to promote Apple's supposed massive market share and popularity... when the numbers actually show something different. The worst one is the company that does reports on "PC sales", where Apple according to them is the biggest PC seller on the planet... because they add iPad sales. But they dont add Android tablet sales... hmmzzz.. Do the sites report on this issue.. of course not, it is all Apple is the biggest bla bla bla..

That is what people are bitching about, not Apple per say... but the sites love fest with Apple and the near god like image Apple has according to these sites.

My favourite was the reviews of the iPhone that praised it to no end, and when they went to the competition they found that not having an SD card slot was a massive negative for the competition but not for the iPhone? WTF? They still do it with the Google Nexus devices, which dont have an SD slot... and yet the iPhone nor iPad also dont have it, and yet it does not count down in those reviews... freaking hypocrites.

What is up with this? Is there some kind of agreement that virtually no one discusses USB Hosting when it comes to the Nexus 7 and 10 when comparing them to Apple iPads and the SD card problem in their articles?

It's all over XDA and the web about how OTG Hosting fixes this problem but you rarely ever see it in a Cnet or a PC world or any of those. Does Google have some side talk with writers not to talk about it?

There's a fricken Kickstarter for a product that gives tablets and phones that lack an SD slot, and SD slot! What gives?

Maybe, or big tablets are on their way out simply because many people have found the 7~8" tablet a better choice for consumer use? Remember that the iPad Mini, despite being a clearly inferior product outside of price and weight is cannibalizing its way through 9.7" iPad sales. This is partially a reason why the rumors on a Retina iPad Mini in certain circles are being treated as just that: rumors. The margin damage that a Retina iPad would have on Apple will be considerable. Also, I still believe that people don't use tablets for content creation. If you buy a tablet, you're generally not intending to do real work for most things. There are some industries that can, but they're mostly reviewing documents on them and it works for them.

It is, I agree and I have always said that. Problem with the iPad mini is it is too wide to hold in one hand comfortably, especially if you are an average sized woman. The problem is, that despite having the iPad mini, retina or not, the only people buying them are people who already own iPads.. their market share has fallen, not increased. So it is the Android 7 inch market that is leading the charge and here it comes down to price and more than often how they actually fit in your hand.

Have you ever been to a store where the iPad mini is close to the 7 inch Android tablets? It is funny to watch, when people go over to the Apple stand (because it is Apple after all.. big signs and so on) pick up the iPad mini and start playing with it.. then they see the other 7 inches and go there and realize suddenly that they are much better .. holding wise. Many never walk back to the iPad mini, especially when they see the price difference. If I was Apple, then I would demand that their in store stands are no where near their competition heh.

Insurance agencies, engineering blueprints in the field, sales at the retail level, big tablets work well in those fields where content creation isn't important. Content creation is still done on laptops and desktops and will be for the foreseeable future.

Not if you can combine the two into one product, which is what is happening with the Windows 8 ultrabooks and hybrid laptops. Plus as you stated above.. 7 inch > 10 inch tablets.

I doubt it. Touch screen hybrids are fricken expensive where iPad 2s aren't.

Are they? You can get a hybrid for less than an iPad. If you want a hybrid with an i5 or i7, then yes it gets more expensive, but you are getting a full computer, not a handicapped tablet. Plus iPad + keyboard = about the same price.

And it makes no sense to buy content creating devices for people who don't create content.

That I agree with. That is why the tablet is so "brilliant" for people who only need a consumption device and only need to use it for limited content creation.. email and surfing. But the tablet will always have one major negative.. no physical keyboard and for many people that is important. I have tried to get people to buy tablets when they need their laptops replaced, because they could get a cheap 7 inch tablet vs a semi expensive laptop.. in many cases it all falls apart when they see there is no physical keyboard. This is people who only use the laptop for Facebook and email and a bit of banking.

Battery life on these hybrids isn't good compared to the 12+ hours on an iPad. My old office had a few touch screen laptops and everyone hated them.

Well, you cant content create on an iPad in any sensible way.. so the 12 hour battery time is a bit mute is it not? Plus there are several hybrids with 14+ hours of battery life and they cost about the same as an Apple Air and are real computers with a real operating system and are designed for content creation. ... the iPad aint.

Depends what you're using it for. Reviewing insurance claims is better on a 10" over a 7." Watching movies on a 7" on a plane is better than a 10".

It is, I agree and I have always said that. Problem with the iPad mini is it is too wide to hold in one hand comfortably, especially if you are an average sized woman. The problem is, that despite having the iPad mini, retina or not, the only people buying them are people who already own iPads.. their market share has fallen, not increased. So it is the Android 7 inch market that is leading the charge and here it comes down to price and more than often how they actually fit in your hand.

Not necessarily. I know people who balked at the $499 iPad price but bought at the $329 iPad Mini price. The Mini is clearly a reaction to losing control of the small tablet market. There's a fair amount of people who don't buy based on specifications, or what they can do with it, but on status and emotion. Android is never going to convince those people on rational terms why Apple may not be their best choice.

Have you ever been to a store where the iPad mini is close to the 7 inch Android tablets? It is funny to watch, when people go over to the Apple stand (because it is Apple after all.. big signs and so on) pick up the iPad mini and start playing with it.. then they see the other 7 inches and go there and realize suddenly that they are much better .. holding wise.

Not really. My local Bestbuy doesn't seem to have this problem. Generally people either stick with the Android from the start or the Apple. But then again, Bestbuy shoppers aren't the most knowledgeable and I don't go to Bestbuy often. Usually it's when I have some time to burn and I'm near one.

Not if you can combine the two into one product, which is what is happening with the Windows 8 ultrabooks and hybrid laptops. Plus as you stated above.. 7 inch > 10 inch tablets.

Maybe, but if they don't need the content creation capabilities, it's not worth buying them. Also, looking at blueprints is way easier on a 10".

Are they? You can get a hybrid for less than an iPad. If you want a hybrid with an i5 or i7, then yes it gets more expensive, but you are getting a full computer, not a handicapped tablet. Plus iPad + keyboard = about the same price.

A good hybrid isn't the same price. Plus you don't need a keyboard for what many iPads are being used in business for. The whole mobile payments deal doesn't need a keyboard. That's a really good use of a either an iPhone or an iPad. You can display ads and menus and use it also for payments all without needing content creation. Smart move whoever thought of that.

That I agree with. That is why the tablet is so "brilliant" for people who only need a consumption device and only need to use it for limited content creation.. email and surfing. But the tablet will always have one major negative.. no physical keyboard and for many people that is important. I have tried to get people to buy tablets when they need their laptops replaced, because they could get a cheap 7 inch tablet vs a semi expensive laptop.. in many cases it all falls apart when they see there is no physical keyboard. This is people who only use the laptop for Facebook and email and a bit of banking.

Even typing on a bluetooth keyboard or a keyboard attachment is pretty bad compared to a full size keyboard. This is why I think lawyers will never go to tablets. It's just too difficult. What is interesting is Google Voice. For people who only use Facebook, some banking and Email, you can easily do what you need via voice typing. Siri is so behind compared to Google Voice these days.

Well, you cant content create on an iPad in any sensible way.. so the 12 hour battery time is a bit mute is it not?

if you're on a sales floor, that matters. Not needing to switch out tablets or charge them is important. There are industries where tablets are useful. It's just not many.

Plus there are several hybrids with 14+ hours of battery life and they cost about the same as an Apple Air and are real computers with a real operating system and are designed for content creation. ... the iPad aint.

But what does a sales person need a hybrid for? Nordstrom works on iPhones. They can call up inventory and make sales right from the phone. In some ways, they're good candidates for smaller tablets that can show inventory pictures they may not have immediately on the premises but can be shipped to the client.

The hard professional jobs of accounting, law, engineering, architecture, and sciences won't go tablet centric, but sales, insurance and a few others can.

What is up with this? Is there some kind of agreement that virtually no one discusses USB Hosting when it comes to the Nexus 7 and 10 when comparing them to Apple iPads and the SD card problem in their articles?

It's all over XDA and the web about how OTG Hosting fixes this problem but you rarely ever see it in a Cnet or a PC world or any of those. Does Google have some side talk with writers not to talk about it?

There's a fricken Kickstarter for a product that gives tablets and phones that lack an SD slot, and SD slot! What gives?

I have no idea, and yea it is a bit annoying. It would solve a bunch of issues with Android if it was by default allowed. Although there is an app that gives you access to some aspects of OTG.. costs 4 bucks I think. Means you can access files and play them I think. Not tried it yet.

Not necessarily. I know people who balked at the $499 iPad price but bought at the $329 iPad Mini price. The Mini is clearly a reaction to losing control of the small tablet market. There's a fair amount of people who don't buy based on specifications, or what they can do with it, but on status and emotion. Android is never going to convince those people on rational terms why Apple may not be their best choice.

Yea.. even the 329 price is way too much for what you get.

Not really. My local Bestbuy doesn't seem to have this problem. Generally people either stick with the Android from the start or the Apple. But then again, Bestbuy shoppers aren't the most knowledgeable and I don't go to Bestbuy often. Usually it's when I have some time to burn and I'm near one.

I am not sure that the US is a good place to see what I am talking about, since it is a high Apple fanboy country and easily swayed by media on issues.

Maybe, but if they don't need the content creation capabilities, it's not worth buying them. Also, looking at blueprints is way easier on a 10".

Yep on the last part.. although most people who use blueprints are still hanging onto paper.. had this discussion with a plumber friend in Denmark.. he is a major one of the kind.. and he hates technology when it comes to blue prints heh.

A good hybrid isn't the same price. Plus you don't need a keyboard for what many iPads are being used in business for. The whole mobile payments deal doesn't need a keyboard. That's a really good use of a either an iPhone or an iPad. You can display ads and menus and use it also for payments all without needing content creation. Smart move whoever thought of that.

Ahh.. a "good" hybrid :) Yea guess we can debate that. But if you take the cheapest hybrid, it is still way more powerful than an iPad and has more uses. .. just saying. But I agree, for a menu or whatever .. tablet.

Even typing on a bluetooth keyboard or a keyboard attachment is pretty bad compared to a full size keyboard. This is why I think lawyers will never go to tablets. It's just too difficult. What is interesting is Google Voice. For people who only use Facebook, some banking and Email, you can easily do what you need via voice typing. Siri is so behind compared to Google Voice these days.

Yea Siri sucks and always has sucked, especially outside the US and for non English native speakers.

But what does a sales person need a hybrid for? Nordstrom works on iPhones. They can call up inventory and make sales right from the phone. In some ways, they're good candidates for smaller tablets that can show inventory pictures they may not have immediately on the premises but can be shipped to the client.

Yea but they are not creating content, but are basically glorified check out people. Plus using iPhones is just a gimmick to seem hip. In reality they could probally be far more productive with a 7 inch tablet .. even the iPad. ... the screen on the iPhone is TOO SMALL!

The hard professional jobs of accounting, law, engineering, architecture, and sciences won't go tablet centric, but sales, insurance and a few others can.

We shall see. I personally believe that the tide has turned on the tablet, just as it did on the netbook.

So, first we had the proliferation of desktop computers, which can run any program you set it up to run, view movies, shows, make phone calls, video chat, etc. but they aren't mobile.

Then we got laptops. Pretty much everything the desktop is, but mobile. Maybe a bit less horse power, a little less update capable meaning shorter shelf life, and limited on battery life. So some still prefer to spend their money on a desk top, it's a more long term investment, at least until the processor becomes obsolete, but many end up with both...a good desk top, and an OK laptop.

Then the ultra book became popular, as the tech kept shrinking in size. Just as fast processors as desktops, just as much ram, etc. no longer need two. But still, for actual work, many still prefer the desktop.

Then the smart phone, which suited many people's computing needs just fine. You can store music and image files, run various applications, browser the web, Facebook, etc, text, watch videos, check email, etc etc. for a lot of people, that's all they use computers for.

Between these three devices, pretty much everything we currently use computers for is covered.

So what exactly is the advantage of a tablet computer, above and beyond an e-reader?

Well, I'm from a mixed family. I have Apple products and Android products. :D Honestly, while I love my iPhone, and my husband loves his iPad, I have a Toshiba Excite tablet, and I love it. It's actually easier to use than the iPad and was half the price. But it took me forever to figure out the iPhone, and almost sent it back and got another Droid. I had my Droid X for years, and never would have changed if the screen hadn't stopped working on me so many times. I traded 5 times, and the screen never did work right.

And I will never, ever understand the reasoning behind why Apple makes it so hard to use their damn products. Why do I have to use iTunes? A lot of the really cool apps I used for Android simply aren't available for Apple, because Apple won't allow it. And it shouldn't be so hard to get music on the stupid phone, and it shouldn't be so hard to make your own ringtones and put them on there. With my Droid, I just made a ringtone, emailed it to the phone and it was there. Doesn't work that way with iPhone. Takes too long, and by the time I'm finished, it's just frustrating and I don't want to bother with it anymore. Plus we've noticed issue with having 4 iPhones in one home, trying to use 1 PC, and also if I use iTunes on the PC, it jacks up using it on the laptop.

Also, insurance on an Android is 699 a month. Insurance on the iPhone is 999. The deductible for an Android phone is 100. The deductible for an iPhone is 169. That's messed up.

It's almost not worth the trouble. Also, I will be the first to admit that I get frustrated too easily, and I'm probably making this out to be harder than it actually is. I'm just used to everything being so easy with Android, and with Apple, it's just not.

I work in civil engineering and use AutoCAD, and I don't see laptops and desktops being replaced anytime soon.

I can see laptop and desktop sales declining in an overall sense and becoming a niche market, but for industries like mine they are still the best option. I can't imagine doing my work on a tablet.

-- Apple in my opinion, has moved from a rising star into a cash cow. It's no longer the innovator, and it's now trying to hold on to its place rather than disrupt everyone else and take their lunch and Wall Street pounded on it for that --

Completely agree - and with your later post regarding Apple cable connectors. One of Apple's main areas has been the creative industry but their pig-headed refusal to adopt pressure sensitive screens means many people are looking at Samsung and Wacom's new offerings this year. Too late after the fact - Apple is reportedly testing a 13 inch screen but the Arts community won't touch it unless it offers better drawing ability or support.

I have never stated that Apple will fail ... I have stated that the markets will change away from Apple and that has happened in every market but the US.

Like it or not Android dwarfs Apple in sales and marketshare in every country on the planet minus the US. Apple is not even breaking 5 market share on phones in China... hell it barely breaks 4%.

No, not the company but you have a recurring focus on Apple over the years.. take this one for example.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/off-topic-discussion/92282-iphone-verizon-flops.html

It's not a big deal anyway Pete, it's just me poking you in the ribs.

ive seen a large upsurge in hybrid laptops lately.my plt sgt in the national guard has one.its a netbook sized laptop,that flips over and can be used like a tablet with touchscreen,its got the same screen size as the actual tablet,but is fully functional as a laptop or a tablet.so for him he can use the keyboard or mousepad for his work which was basically military stuff,but also flip the screen over and use it like a tablet for movies,music etc.

it seems to have every advantage of both,i see no reason why hybrids wouldnt take off,especially with the prices dropping fast.

I work in civil engineering and use AutoCAD, and I don't see laptops and desktops being replaced anytime soon.

I can see laptop and desktop sales declining in an overall sense and becoming a niche market, but for industries like mine they are still the best option. I can't imagine doing my work on a tablet.

I think it's hilarious every time some fool on a message board tries to say that tablets will lead to the death of the PC. AUTOCAD on a tablet? Funny. Photoshop on a tablet? Funny. Writing legal briefs on at tablet? Funny. Doing corporate taxes on a tablet? Funny. Playing Skyrim at 1080P on a tablet? Funny.

I know someone who works for a utility that takes her iPad out to the field when they need to pull up schematics, but she has a real laptop when she's in the office.

I have no idea, and yea it is a bit annoying. It would solve a bunch of issues with Android if it was by default allowed. Although there is an app that gives you access to some aspects of OTG.. costs 4 bucks I think. Means you can access files and play them I think. Not tried it yet.

Nexus Media Importer. Worth every dollar. It's much easier to use than rooting. I just don't get why writers effectively ignore this when it;'s a huge selling point. Even Fandroid centric websites don't even discuss it. It's like Google has some unwritten rule that "You do not talk about USB Hosting" that's given as a stern warning to all tech writers. I've even seen iPad Mini bashing article that don't highlight how the Nexus 7 is way superior for this reason. Of all places, I'd expect it there, but it's not. Seems someone at Google wants this kept as a secret from the masses.

Back
Top Bottom