• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10 Things You Can’t Do and Still Call Yourself “Pro-Life”

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
10 Things You Can't Do and Still Call Yourself "Pro-Life" | Formerly Fundie: Insights, Hopes and Laments on American Christianity and Culture

1. You cannot support, advocate for, or participate in war
2. You cannot support the death penalty
3. You cannot support unrestricted gun rights
4. You cannot use dehumanizing language
5. You cannot oppose healthcare for all
6. You cannot hold anti-immigrant sentiments or support oppressive immigration policies
7. You cannot oppose gender equality
8. You cannot advocate, support, or passively tolerate economic policies which oppress the poor, minorities, or any other marginalized group.
9. You cannot oppose a livable, minimum wage.
10. You cannot support unrestricted, elective abortions, after the age of viability.

Excellent article, in my estimation. I hope we can actually discuss the points contained within.

10 Things You Can't Do and Still Call Yourself "Pro-Life" | Formerly Fundie: Insights, Hopes and Laments on American Christianity and Culture

6. You cannot hold anti-immigrant sentiments or support oppressive immigration policies
8. You cannot advocate, support, or passively tolerate economic policies which oppress the poor, minorities, or any other marginalized group.
10. You cannot support unrestricted, elective abortions, after the age of viability.

Excellent article, in my estimation. I hope we can actually discuss the points contained within.

Reminds me of my sandwich this noon:

Baloney.

Funny, I just got done reading the article in it's entirety. Did you scream baloney without reading? Because how irrational would that be.

I am anti-abortion so I am fine, special Agent from the Thought Police :2wave:

"Pro-Life" has to do with abortion. The attempt to redefine it as having to do with anything else is a failure.

That's why I don't call myself pro-life.

1. I fully support and personally participate in non-defensive war for resources and global political power.
  2. I pray that not only will the death penalty become mandatory for all felonies which would carry a 40-year or longer sentence, but also cut the process between conviction and execution.
  3. No kind of firearm should be banned from civilian ownership. If you can own a firearm at all (ie are not a felon, etc), then you should be able to own any kind of firearm you desire, and you should be able to carry it just about everywhere you can legally go, including schools and to work.
  4. I think racism is hilarious.
  5. I don't oppose healthcare. I oppose paying for it. Be an adult and go buy a policy.
  6. Businesses which hire illegals should face devastating fines and penalties, including but not limited to prison sentences for the business owners.
  7. The genders are not equal and we tend to self-segregate naturally. That's just nature, go take up your problem with evolution.
  8. Everyone should pay 10% income tax regardless of income or economic status.
  9. Abolish the minimum wage.
  10. I do not support any abortion for any reason unless the mother's life is in danger.

So that's a score of 8/10. I'm not pro-life by your definition.

Last edited:
"Pro-Life" has to do with abortion. The attempt to redefine it as having to do with anything else is a failure.
Just jump down the rabbit hole already.

I know all our brains are wired differently... but how could they be this different. Most of this is just plain Malarkey...

Minimum wage has to be a liveable wage? What if the value in effort and skills given for that wage does not match or rise above to the extent that the employer can at least break even, recoup his investment in the employee? So the employer must reach into his pocket and pay an employee more than he/she is worth? How long will that job last? Not very long, the employer will go out of business or fire that person and hire someone that has the skills/experience that can actually give proper value and earn that wage. Minimum wage is for beginning workers to pay their dues and earn/learn skills while getting a kind of subsidy in the meantime... once they get marketable skills they can parlay that into higher wages and with additional hard work, education/skill acquisition, most keep rising up the ladder in wages and job titles...what incentive is there for an already under motivated worker to gain further skills, add further value if all needs are met doing the very minimum, or less than minimum? These high schoolers do not want to live with their folks all their lives so they will strive to achieve under a real incentivised system, not this hooey...

You cannot participate or advocate or support war. So, we should have just let the pro death concentration camp type guys take us over in WW 2 or if there is a WW3...hmmm... doesn't sound very pro-life to me... sounds like there might just be plenty of human leather lamp shades available though...

I would say the only one on the list that comes close to being truth would be the prohibiting of unrestricted elective abortions... and I would add at any time. The death penalty is a deterrent to many and so saves many lives, the death penalty also precludes prior murderers from murdering again [ besides, what have they got to lose killing a guard or two trying to escape all the time, the worst they can do is put you back in the same hole you are trying to escape from, so go for it, constantly ...]

That's why I don't call myself pro-life.

1. I fully support and personally participate in non-defensive war for resources and global political power.
  2. I pray that not only will the death penalty become mandatory for all felonies which would carry a 40-year or longer sentence, but also cut the process between conviction and execution.
  3. No kind of firearm should be banned from civilian ownership. If you can own a firearm at all (ie are not a felon, etc), then you should be able to own any kind of firearm you desire, and you should be able to carry it just about everywhere you can legally go, including schools and to work.
  4. I think racism is hilarious.
  5. I don't oppose healthcare. I oppose paying for it. Be an adult and go buy a policy.
  6. Businesses which hire illegals should face devastating fines and penalties, including but not limited to prison sentences for the business owners.
  7. The genders are not equal and we tend to self-segregate naturally. That's just nature, go take up your problem with evolution.
  8. Everyone should pay 10% income tax regardless of income or economic status.
  9. Abolish the minimum wage.
  10. I do not support any abortion for any reason unless the mother's life is in danger.

So that's a score of 9/11. I'm not pro-life by your definition.

Just out of curiosity; did you read the article.

Just out of curiosity; did you read the article.
I'm about to, have to run to the store first. I just like giving a quick response to the OP itself to see where it goes.

It doesn't go far--it's not much more than brief amplification of thw ath OP has summarized.

Here is part of Benjamin Corey's bio:

I am currently a doctoral student at Fuller Theological Seminary working on my dissertation for the degree of Doctor of Missiology/Doctor of Intercultural Studies. My field of study is church mobilization for the purposes of addressing cultural injustices; my current field research is in the area of human trafficking in India and the Church’s response. A significant portion of my research is the development of a theology of hospitality towards the poor, oppressed, stranger, immigrant, widow and fatherless. Since leaving fundamentalism, my passion is helping the Christian Church wake up to the need to “do justice.” As Gandhi once said: “there are people in the world so hungry, God can only come to them in the form of bread.”

Real Life | Benjamin L. Corey | Formerly Fundie: Insights, Hopes and Laments on American Christianity and Culture

Soon-to-be Reverand Doctor Corey has every right to his opinions, which seem very thoughtful and sincere. I'd never heard of him and am glad I have now and wish him great success in his mission.

But he hasn't yet learned that you don't change churches; you change human hearts. Individually. One by one.

Telling his brothers and sisters what they can or cannot call themselves--what impudence!--is definitely NOT the way.

On a regular basis I see reason why "pro-life" is a misnomer and "pro-fetus" is a more apt comparison.

Almost all of those are utter nonsense, based on using semantics to engage in a deliberate misconstruing of the meaning of 'pro-life'.

What I grew to find increasingly problematic however, was the dishonesty of the term; a term which at face value should indicate an ethos which is always radically in favor of life, really was simply a term to indicate I was against abortion. It didn’t legitimately represent a holistic life ethos which always sided in favor of life.

It still doesn’t. When someone says “pro-life” our thoughts immediately go to the age-old abortion debate (something I’m not interested in hashing out on this blog), when instead it should cause us to think of an all-encompassing value system which shows a primacy for the value and dignity of life in all respects, and at all stages.

A beautiful term, which I would be proud to wear if understood accurately, has been reduced to a single issue. As the cultural definition of the term has taken root, it has become a less-than-honest term that further separates society in an us-vs-them mentality.

The author is dishonest, the term pro-life has always been a term used exclusively for abortion issues. If he wants to apply it to his worldview, fine, but he can't stake a claim on the term "pro-life" and expect people to suddenly think it doesn't apply to abortion. Furthermore, from the content, the OP should have put this somewhere other than the abortion forum, as the author is trying to separate the term from the issue.

I remember when John Paul II warned of the "culture of death." For many of us who are pro-life, whether Catholic or not, being pro-life is not just about abortion. I was trying to find a summary and landed on Wiki:

The phrase "culture of life" is a term used in discussion of moral theology, especially that of the Catholic Church. Its proponents describe it as a way of life based upon the theological truth that human life at all stages from conception through natural death is sacred. As such, a "culture of life" opposes practices destructive of human life, often including abortion, euthanasia, destruction of human embryonic stem cells, contraception, capital punishment, unjust war, sadistic humiliation, narcissism, and excessive selfishness. Social conservatives in politics of the United States frequently use the term a "culture of life" in opposition to abortion and embryonic stem cell research. Culture of life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pro-life is a term used to mean anti-abortion. That's how the people who use it almost always mean it and that's how its generally understood. If the author wants to redefine the term for himself that's great, but he can't just suddenly have term in general not apply to one's stance on abortion. All he's really arguing is that the term pro-life is technically a misnomer, which everyone knows anyway. And although he's technically correct the way he rights the article, seems somewhat purposely misleading.

Agreed. The same goes for pro-choice though...

Both are used in reference to abortion and neither would be applicable to all if we then expected it to be applied in all aspects of life.

I'm solidly in the anti-life camp. I not only am OK with abortions, I'm a proponent of retroactive abortions. Why do we have to let every little junior thug grow up to harass society?

But pro-life is simply a game of semantics. Year2late got it right:
On a regular basis I see reason why "pro-life" is a misnomer and "pro-fetus" is a more apt comparison.

So, the article is a giant load of crap. Unless you want to start manning up and calling yourselves "anti-life".

BTW you rarely see me in abortion threads because they serve so little social purpose. Nobody will change their mind.

I honestly don't like the terms "pro-life" or "pro-choice". The "pro-life" person often advocates for policies outside of abortion that are anything but embracing of life and when it comes to the "pro-choice" people I often think that the fetus does not get a choice. Both terms are poor taste and this is largely why I try to stay away from this debate. This is a topic where people look too favorably upon themselves either way. Specifically the positions are better designated as "anti abortion because of viewing fetus as human life" and "pro women's right to choose abortion".

The fetus never gets a choice.

Here is my response to the author of the article cited in the OP.

Heres the truly funny part. I can be pro life and take all 10 of those contrary positions, despite what some moron thinks. You know why? 3 reasons.
1-Slaughtering a child is not the same as executing a murderer, you simple minded douchebag.
2-Well...theres a little bit of me laughing hysterically for anyone thinking you get to tell me or anyone else what we can or cant do or position to take and
3-Just for fun...**** you...thats why.

Anyone...ANYONE that equates a pro life position to a position on the death penalty or war is a complete and total douchebag.

admitting i havent read the article yet but im going to no matter what it says NOBODY gets to factually decided whether another is pro-life or pro-choice. Its asinine.

If you call your self something and its a subjective thing thats what you are period. I could have a different opinion but its meaningless.

now ill go read.

Arguing about definitions and ignoring the actual meat of the abortion argument is really stupid.

Pro-life and Pro-choice are well understood to refer to the two opposing sides of the abortion debate. Pro-life does not actually mean you are in favor of all life all the time, nor does pro-choice actually mean that you are in favor of all choices all the time.

Exactly. So not pro-life. Pro-birth.

Back
Top Bottom