• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10 Stupid Workplace Rules That Employers Should Eliminate

You need to post them.

Going to that 11 page slideshow and getting bombarded by pop-ups and video ads is a no go as far as I am concerned.

That's why I hate articles like this. Ads are ****ing everywhere.

You need to post them.

Going to that 11 page slideshow and getting bombarded by pop-ups and video ads is a no go as far as I am concerned.

The wonders of adblockers. Here is the list:
1. Drug testing
2. No telecommuting
3. Inflexible scheduling
4. No food/drinks
5. Requiring a doctor's note to take a sick day
6. No beards
7. No hats
8. Annual performance reviews
9. Dress codes
10. Scheduled breaks

I have to agree.

You need to post them.

As soon as you said that I thought you were talking about forbes.com. But It's not a forbes link.

1. Drug testing
2. No telecommuting
3. Inflexible scheduling
4. No food/drinks
6. No beards
7. No hats
9. Dress codes
10. Scheduled breaks

I have to agree.

I have to disagree, for the following reasons:

1. Drug testing. This is necessary for many types of jobs, often required by law. For example, CDL truck drivers, and other transport operators like airline pilots and railroad engineers must be tested periodically in order to ensure they are not intoxicated or otherwise under the influence while driving. Industrial operations must also drug test to ensure that workplace accidents are limited and not caused by drugs or alcohol use. As for other work, either sales or office work? Would you want someone under the influence either representing you in a customer contact capacity or maintaining your business records?

2. No telecommuting. Why not? That should be entirely up to the owner of the business. You don't want the job? Don't apply.

3. Inflexible scheduling. Again, why not? The owner of the business can set the hours of operation. If you think they don't suit your schedule, don't take the job.

4. No food/drinks. Depends on the work environment. However, the problem concerns sanitation. Consuming food and beverages at work can lead to vermin, and cleaning costs due to spills/dropped foods. The smells can offend other employees, and put off customers. There is also the possibility of damaging equipment, ruining documents, and other tangible harms.

5. Requiring a doctor's note to take a sick day. Most employers do not require a doctor's note for rare sick days. This is usually reserved for someone who is either excessively absent, or absent for two or more days in a row. If you are going to miss that much work, especially at the business owner's expense via paid sick days, it is not unreasonable to require proof of a medical reason.

6. No beards. This one I have no problem with.

7. No hats. I don't know why anyone would wear a hat indoors. Outside? I have no problem with it.

8. Annual performance reviews. I believe an employer has a right to review an employees performance. It is beneficial for both parties, the employer to let the employee know about problems and how it is effecting their work. The employee so that they have a solid measure of how well they are doing when it comes to requesting wage increases and promotions.

9. Dress codes. Those usually apply to professional environments where employees frequently encounter the public. When you are dealing with an important business transaction would you prefer someone wearing business casual/professional, of a guy in a t-shirt and sagging pants showing the ass of his undies? There are a lot of businesses that do not have dress codes because there is no need.

10. Scheduled breaks. This depends on the type of work and the number of employees. Small businesses may need scheduled breaks to make sure there is always someone available to handle customers/calls. Large companies to make sure there is someone on shift to keep the operations running.

These things (at least the ones I've explained) exist for perfectly reasonable and rational reasons. If you don't like them, recall this is the USA...the land of opportunity. Feel free to start your own business and set your own rules. :shrug:

Last edited:
1. Drug testing
2. No telecommuting
3. Inflexible scheduling
4. No food/drinks
6. No beards
7. No hats
9. Dress codes
10. Scheduled breaks

I have to agree.

I strongly agree with 2 and 10. I partially agree with 5.

1. Drug testing is usually required for Gov't positions. This is kinda important.
2. Some people will abuse this so I understand why it's not standard. If you have a position that you can do telecommute from, then I don't see why you can't ask.
3. How do you do away with inflexible scheduling if the company needs you during regular hours?? Most companies are pretty good about this, however, if you are working in a sweatshop that doesn't let you take care of your family. Should you really be working there?
4. Some places like hospitals cannot have food or drinks in the workplace. Will never go away completely.
5. Agreed this can be burdensome on the employee. If they are sick and their doctor is not technically literate. How in the blazes are they going to get a note??
6. I wear a beard myself and I am happy my company lets me. However, I understand why others don't. Plus there are those red necks who would abuse this.
7. I just don't think hats are appropriate in the workplace. Don't know why they have to be there.
8. My company does not do these, however. I understand why others have to.
9. Dress codes are hugely important and your company will look more professional with a dress code. I wish mine did. I wear a collar polo and khakis everyday but some people (girls in particular) wear nothing but leggings. Gross!
10. You should be able to take your break whenever you want. However, know this. You shouldn't take a break during peak lunch hours. Pretty simple.

They all look like something posted by a drug addled, mom's basement dwelling, neckbeard wearing, libertarian free range hipster that doesn't have a clue what it takes to actually own and run a company.

That said, I agree with the following being silly rules pretty much no matter what - numbers 2, 4, and 10.

The others are pretty standard business practice but are potentially flexible depending on the type of business.

If you're not an employee that has any client face-to-face interface whatsoever, and your work is not time sensitive or requires input or review by other employees, or you don't have to generate or respond to emails or phone calls or any other form of basic communication in a timely manner during normal business hours, and you can guarantee that you won't spill your Mocha Frapa Cappa Whatchafudge on the computer or drop food pieces on the floor attracting rats, mice, insects, and/or transient hipsters without jobs or a future, then most of all the others, with the exception of 1 and 8 could be eliminated.

I strongly agree with 2 and 10. I partially agree with 5.

1. Drug testing is usually required for Gov't positions. This is kinda important.
2. Some people will abuse this so I understand why it's not standard. If you have a position that you can do telecommute from, then I don't see why you can't ask.
3. How do you do away with inflexible scheduling if the company needs you during regular hours?? Most companies are pretty good about this, however, if you are working in a sweatshop that doesn't let you take care of your family. Should you really be working there?
4. Some places like hospitals cannot have food or drinks in the workplace. Will never go away completely.
5. Agreed this can be burdensome on the employee. If they are sick and their doctor is not technically literate. How in the blazes are they going to get a note??
6. I wear a beard myself and I am happy my company lets me. However, I understand why others don't. Plus there are those red necks who would abuse this.
7. I just don't think hats are appropriate in the workplace. Don't know why they have to be there.
8. My company does not do these, however. I understand why others have to.
9. Dress codes are hugely important and your company will look more professional with a dress code. I wish mine did. I wear a collar polo and khakis everyday but some people (girls in particular) wear nothing but leggings. Gross!
10. You should be able to take your break whenever you want. However, know this. You shouldn't take a break during peak lunch hours. Pretty simple.

1. As long as you can do the job safely what does it matter?
3. That is why the concept of flex hours has core time.
4. It makes sense in certain workplaces but for an office worker why not?
5. My issue would be say for example you have vomiting and nausea, how are you goign to drive or take transit to a doctor without an appointment?
8. The problem with performance reviews is that they require quantifiable measures which are very hard to create effective ones and there are aspects that simply cannot be quantified.

1. As long as you can do the job safely what does it matter?
3. That is why the concept of flex hours has core time.
4. It makes sense in certain workplaces but for an office worker why not?
5. My issue would be say for example you have vomiting and nausea, how are you goign to drive or take transit to a doctor without an appointment?
8. The problem with performance reviews is that they require quantifiable measures which are very hard to create effective ones and there are aspects that simply cannot be quantified.

1. This I have to disagree with. I'm anti-drug across the board and if I ran a business I would have drug tests every month or every two weeks even. For some people it is a traditional hard-core belief that they have. Which looks down on drug users with the utmost disrespect. I don't even like smokers who use the smoke break as an excuse to not work. Furthermore, if your company has a no drug policy and you come into work high as a kite (but can still do the job). It does matter, it's not professional and it is breaking the rules/shows lack of respect. I don't have to hire a drug user when there are plenty of other applicants available. If you use drugs and break that rule, what other rules are you about to break next? That's what I would think.

4. The only place where I've worked where they banned me from eating food is when they wanted me to eat away from my desk. Which was reasonable because I was working with a very sensitive/expensive 3D Printer. If your company doesn't let you eat lunch at your desk, that's cruel.

8. True but companies need to have some ways of measuring how good you are at your job. If you are a small team like I am a part of. That's not really necessary since I work directly with my boss 8 hours a day. But if you are a huge company where your boss isn't someone really too important in the company and is low on the totem poll. They have to send something to upper management.

Only someone who has never owned or operated a business would make such a ridiculous list.

1. Drug testing
Response: So, when an employee is drunk you should ignore it or just go with your personal evaluation. Me? I tested.
2. No telecommuting
Response: I like telecommuting for workers. The management, it's a scam. I was appalled at how many worked from the golf course.
3. Inflexible scheduling
Response: Right. There is no reason customers should determine when people work.
4. No food/drinks
Response: People should be paid to sit at their desk and pour milkshakes over the keyboard.
Response: A woman where I worked took off four days every twenty-eight days. I guess some don't see a problem with that. Another employee was sick every Monday and every third Friday. Other employees were asking why they had to work five days a week when Chuck didn't.
6. No beards
Response: Where I worked no women could have beards. Men could if they were cared for. Beards with braids and facial tattoos were not allowed.
7. No hats
Response: I don't get that unless it's inside. I'd go with no hats inside.
Response: I never had a problem with annual performance reviews but ours had peer reviews, supervisor reviews, and subordinate reviews.
9. Dress codes
Response: I wish that wasn't necessary. I got tired of telling women that sheer blouses and no bras were not acceptable. Halter tops have no place in an office. I know you'll be shocked but I guy who showed up for an interview wearing shorts, a tank top, and rubber flip-flops didn't get hired. When he came back in, similarly attired, to ask why he didn't get a job I told him. "You were hiring my clothes." "We weren't hiring you or your clothes."
10. Scheduled breaks
Response: Absolutely not. Why shouldn't everyone be able to take their break when it gets busy.

I have to agree.

But, you missed some really important ones.
11. There shouldn't be a set time to show up at work or a set time to leave. Coming in an hour late and/or leaving an hour early isn't a problem if it's someone as special as you.
12. There should be no competition for promotion. All promotions should be based on absolutely nothing but seniority.
13. I should never have to do anything that's not part of my job description.

I'm pretty sure the person who wrote the article has never actually had a real job.

Back
Top Bottom