• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10 celebrities who came out as pro-life

Mike.Redd

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
First off I love Kristy Ireland's hair in this article. Second that is a huge step that these famous people took to come out at Pro-Life. Being a public figure, having the public eye on you 27/4 is not easy. The public decides the careers of entertainers. If the public does not like the stance one takes on an issue they can chose to not support your career.

I applause these celebrities for coming up as pro-life.

My top 3 favorites are:
1. Kirsty Ireland (aka cause of her hair)
2. Justin Bieber
3. Kenny Chesney

Who are your top three?

Article can be found here Via Rare.us: 10 celebrities who came out as pro-life

First off I love Kristy Ireland's hair in this article. Second that is a huge step that these famous people took to come out at Pro-Life. Being a public figure, having the public eye on you 27/4 is not easy. The public decides the careers of entertainers. If the public does not like the stance one takes on an issue they can chose to not support your career.

My top 3 favorites are:
2. Justin Bieber
3. Kenny Chesney

Who are your top three?

Here's a link to the actual article: 10 Celebrities Who Came Out As Pro-Life
Being Pro Choice I am perfectly happy to allow you to keep Bieber, though one thing that I noticed was a trend was that most or a significant portion were nearly aborted but that their mothers chose life, hence why some are likely to be on that list.

Jack surpised me a bit, the rest, with one exception were no surprise to me. Andrea Bocelli - his story I didn't know. The world would indeed be a lesser place without his voice.

My top 3 favorites are:
2. Justin Bieber
3. Kenny Chesney

Who are your top three?

They're entertainers. The moment they speak out of line (not about their jobs) their opinion doesn't matter any more than yours or mine.

They're entertainers. The moment they speak out of line (not about their jobs) their opinion doesn't matter any more than yours or mine.

Generally that's true, but a couple one the list are personally connected to the issue giving their voice a greater weight. Just as an non-entertainer issue advocate who has a great connection to the issue would have.

Andrea and Martin both have on-point stories to tell directly from their own lives.

Generally that's true, but a couple one the list are personally connected to the issue giving their voice a greater weight. Just as an non-entertainer issue advocate who has a great connection to the issue would have.

Andrea and Martin both have on-point stories to tell directly from their own lives.

While that is true, and I did read the article (about Martin sheen's wife) and I have no malevolent feelings towards 9/10 out of the people on the list, I don't see things the way you do and I can't agree with this.

It's very simple. The papers write about these people not because they are qualified to speak on these issues or because they are famous from other sources. They aren't famous for being deep thinkers or philosophers or what naught. People who would contribute comprehensive and meaningful ideas to the public dialogue. They're famous for being entertainers. This is basically an abuse of their fame to influence public opinion. And I don't like that.

I understand. we the people empower these individuals with our time and money. We make them famous because we pay for their services. We even pay them to play in TV shows that touch political or controversial issues (martin sheen, the white house, perfect example). And while through the means of their work they are allowed to use their fame and their name to stimulate public opinion, I find it to be an abuse when they do it off camera/performance or whatever.
So the point is this. If you're an artist, speak through your art on the issues you want to speak on and only through that.

While that is true, and I did read the article (about Martin sheen's wife) and I have no malevolent feelings towards 9/10 out of the people on the list, I don't see things the way you do and I can't agree with this.

It's very simple. The papers write about these people not because they are qualified to speak on these issues or because they are famous from other sources. They aren't famous for being deep thinkers or philosophers or what naught. People who would contribute comprehensive and meaningful ideas to the public dialogue. They're famous for being entertainers. This is basically an abuse of their fame to influence public opinion. And I don't like that.

I understand. we the people empower these individuals with our time and money. We make them famous because we pay for their services. We even pay them to play in TV shows that touch political or controversial issues (martin sheen, the white house, perfect example). And while through the means of their work they are allowed to use their fame and their name to stimulate public opinion, I find it to be an abuse when they do it off camera/performance or whatever.
So the point is this. If you're an artist, speak through your art on the issues you want to speak on and only through that.
What qualifications do you need?

The public decides the careers of entertainers. If the public does not like the stance one takes on an issue they can chose to not support your career.

Other than Jane Fonda (may the Devil rape her in the ass with a **** of thorns for all eternity) I don't pay much attention to, or care, what any particular celebrity thinks or says in respect to "political" issues.

What qualifications do you need?

Well, let me put it this way. Qualified enough that other people recognize you and say: yeah, this guy/gal knows a lot of about this issue. He can back up what he says, look, he made the studies and the research and his opinions are informed and logical.

Not something your average celebrity is going to be known for.

You could make some exceptions, of course, but they are the exceptions that justify the rule. Like Bono with a few African countries. He is internationally known to be spot on the issue and be well informed. He was at Versailler, the White house and 10th downing street to make his case.

My top 3 favorites are:
2. Justin Bieber
3. Kenny Chesney

Who are your top three?

If Beiber were pro choice, I'd seriously consider switching sides ....would not want to be on the same side as someone who spits on people....

"Came out"? It's not as if they're expressing some out of the ordinary lifestyle choice or something... Que ridiculo!

Secondly, so what?

"Came out"? It's not as if they're expressing some out of the ordinary lifestyle choice or something...
Considering where they have to earn a living, this is very much like "coming out".
In fact, in Hollywood it is more difficult to come out as conservative than gay.

You could make some exceptions, of course, but they are the exceptions that justify the rule. Like Bono with a few African countries. He is internationally known to be spot on the issue and be well informed. He was at Versailler, the White house and 10th downing street to make his case.
Not really, no.
Bono is merely on what many believe to be the right side of the issue, but everything he says is still mainly opinion.
This article from the LA Times is one of the few that puts Bono under a little scrutiny.
What Bono doesn't say about Africa - latimes.com

Considering where they have to earn a living, this is very much like "coming out".
In fact, in Hollywood it is more difficult to come out as conservative than gay.

Right. Que ridiculo!

My top 3 favorites are:
2. Justin Bieber
3. Kenny Chesney

Who are your top three?

Very interesting - you're saying this almost as if it was a dirty secret to be pro-life. :shrug: Like they had to 'come out of hiding' or something. . . as if it's a social-acceptance issue.

Very interesting - you're saying this almost as if it was a dirty secret to be pro-life. :shrug: Like they had to 'come out of hiding' or something. . . as if it's a social-acceptance issue.
In Hollywood there actually are what are known as "closeted conservatives".
They do hide. They have to work.

In Hollywood there actually are what are known as "closeted conservatives".
They do hide. They have to work.

Oh - okay - so it's just hollywood drama.

Woo-hoo.

I care why?

There's a name for this. It's called appeal to authority. It's a logical fallacy.

Also not impressed with the "personal stories." Me too, buddy. I know my parents discussed abortion. I don't know how close they got, but I know it came up.

Do I care? Nope. I had no right to occupy my mother's body. And I have a hard time being upset about the idea of simply never existing. How the hell would I know?

Woo-hoo.
I care why?
There's a name for this. It's called appeal to authority. It's a logical fallacy.
Also not impressed with the "personal stories." Me too, buddy. I know my parents discussed abortion. I don't know how close they got, but I know it came up.
Do I care? Nope. I had no right to occupy my mother's body. And I have a hard time being upset about the idea of simply never existing. How the hell would I know?
I'll repeat what I asked on another thread.

I'm new here so I don't know anyone.
Do people respond to you or do you just kind of say things.

I'm not being facetious or sarcastic. There are people on similar fora who just throw stuff out there.

its not news for anybody to be pro-life/choice

unless it was a huge surprise based on stereotypes

IE: pope: pro-choice

other than that its not coming out or news

Pro-lifers in Hollywood is not as dramatic as your papal shocker, but I'd say it's at least 70% there.

Pro-lifers in Hollywood is not as dramatic as your papal shocker, but I'd say it's at least 70% there.

My top 3 favorites are:
2. Justin Bieber
3. Kenny Chesney

Who are your top three?

Celebrities are just the court jesters, who cares what they think? I mean, they do and they want us to because they think we should pay attention to them. But it's not like I would give two ****s as to whether Miley Cyrus was pro-life or pro-choice.

I could never understand this fascination people have with celebrities. It got so bad a few decades ago that we actually elected one as President.

Just look at what a disaster that turned out to be!

Well holy feces and dirty underwear Batman....... 9 males and 1 female.

Plus, the female (hot as she is) is 50 years old.

Hmmmmm........ such a STTTRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH for them all.

bored-boring-text-true-favim-com-414090.jpg

:roll:

Back
Top Bottom