• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10,000 birds trapped in Twin Towers memorial light

Moot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Two beams emanating from Manhattan, known as the Tribute of Light, had to be turned off five times to allow the migrating birds to continue on their journey last week.

The birds were on their way from Canada to the warmer climate of the Caribbean and South America.

They do not always fly over New York and the last time their migratory path coincided with September 11 was in 2004.

The Tribute of Light is turned on by the Municipal Art Society every year on the anniversary of the attacks.

Monitors from New York City Audubon, a conservation organisation, observed this year's tribute and alerted organisers to the confused birds.

An Audubon spokesman told the Animal Planet website that the birds could use up valuable energy needed for their migration while flying around in the lights....

See video (the birds are the little white dots flying around in the beams)

10,000 birds trapped in Twin Towers memorial light - Telegraph

That's kinda of freaky. Except for owls, I didn't think birds flew at night. And that of all years, they flew over NYC this year, with all the controversy over the mosque, to get caught in the light beams makes it all the more strange.

Last edited:
Interesting - I've heard of birds flying into windows because the sky is reflected, but I didn't know that just light would be disorientating.

But why 10,000? That number seems just pulled out from nowhere. :shrug:

Don't these terrorist illegal alien avians know it's sacred airspace? They should stay in their own country instead of stealing food from the beaks of American birds all summer.

Last edited:
That's kinda of freaky. Except for owls, I didn't think birds flew at night. And that of all years, they flew over NYC this year, with all the controversy over the mosque, to get caught in the light beams makes it all the more strange.

Not strange at all. With freaky weather this year and hurricanes off shore it's not suprising bird migrations may be somewhat irregular. Not sure what the mosque has to do with it. :lamo

My swallows came late this spring and left early. I had some Hudsonian Godwits at one of my ponds a few years back. I'm totally out of their flyway. It will be interesting if the change of the magnetic field of the earth has any effect on the birds.

Interesting. and very erie.

Back
Top Bottom