• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1 Trillion Dollar Question

braymoore

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Trillion Dollar Question: Is College Worth It? | Fox Business

So I have been thinking about this alot lately. I have been living in Brazil the past year I will most likely be stuck here for a little longer. The reason for that is because my wife is Brazilian and it will take about another year for her to be able to receive her permanant residence in the US. I still need to start and finish college. Brazil has tons of opportunities for me to as far as a job. And it's not some little miminium wage paying job. Many people have told me that I could work my way up in a multi-national company in just a couple years without any college degree because of my language skills. So I'm a little torn between if I should just stay here in Brazil and work my way up or come back to the US in a year and start college and waste tons of money. I would like some advice as to what I should do. I would really appreciate your thoughts and comments.

College will always be there when you need it; jobs not so much.

So I have been thinking about this alot lately. I have been living in Brazil the past year I will most likely be stuck here for a little longer. The reason for that is because my wife is Brazilian and it will take about another year for her to be able to receive her permanant residence in the US. I still need to start and finish college. Brazil has tons of opportunities for me to as far as a job. And it's not some little miminium wage paying job. Many people have told me that I could work my way up in a multi-national company in just a couple years without any college degree because of my language skills. So I'm a little torn between if I should just stay here in Brazil and work my way up or come back to the US in a year and start college and waste tons of money. I would like some advice as to what I should do. I would really appreciate your thoughts and comments.
What do you want to do for a living?

If you wish to move up in a "multi national" company, chances are, past a certain point, a lack of degree will mean you won't even be CONSIDERED for a promotion.

Not saying that's right...it just is.

You don't have to make that decision now. Get a good job and see what happens.

If your wifey's family is in Brazil, one thing I can tell you is that, in most instances, she will enjoy staying there -- and her family will be an absolute Godsend when/if you have a family.

But again. You don't have to make that decision. Get a job.

College for what? What I mean to ask is, what's your goal career? College isn't the end point, it's a possible tool for what you want to end up doing. If you're happy with what you're doing now and have the real possibility for advancement in a career you either enjoy greatly or sets fine with your life's goals, there's no need to return and go to college. If there's something you really want to learn at the college level and it will help you advance towards your dream career, then the earlier you do it the better in the long run.

College is absolutely worth it for most people.

1) Youre ceiling will be much higher. It may not be a big deal now, but in five or ten years, you'll feel it.
2) Whatever the degree qualifiies you to do, the work will certainly be more interesting.
3) It gives you options.
4) Overall, youre lifetime earnings should dwarf the expense of college. ITs not a waste of money by any means.
5) Even all things being economically equal, there is an inherent value in being educated.

And you can start in Brazil. I'm sure there are university courses somewhere in Brazil that will transfer to the US, there are online courses that you can do that will transfer credits, etc.

Knock back some pingas and get out and protest the corruption, including in Copa do Mundo, Brasil 2014.

You can do college on-line.

What do you want to do for a living?

College for what? What I mean to ask is, what's your goal career?

I was really thinking about going into med school and becoming a pharmacist. I don't want to go into business. I also love computers and so I also thought about computer programming.

I was really thinking about going into med school and becoming a pharmacist. I don't want to go into business. I also love computers and so I also thought about computer programming.

If you're up in the air about what you want to do, don't go to school just yet. Get that job. Work a couple years. Changes your perspective. Just make sure you get college done BEFORE you have kids.

You don't have to make that decision now. Get a good job and see what happens.

If your wifey's family is in Brazil, one thing I can tell you is that, in most instances, she will enjoy staying there -- and her family will be an absolute Godsend when/if you have a family.

But again. You don't have to make that decision. Get a job.

Copy that! God how I miss my family there, also by marriage. Plus walking barefoot on Copacabana on Christmas day, which I've done, helped me cope with no snow on Xmas. :)

And you can start in Brazil. I'm sure there are university courses somewhere in Brazil that will transfer to the US, there are online courses that you can do that will transfer credits, etc.

You know that is a really good idea. The real question there is if what I want to do has a university that will let me transfer my credits.

Knock back some pingas and get out and protest the corruption, including in Copa do Mundo, Brasil 2014.

Nah to be honest I'm to scared to go to this protests. They get out of control most of the time. Especially the ones here in Rio. But Brazil really is filled with tons of corruption that in my opinion surpasses the United States.

If you're up in the air about what you want to do, don't go to school just yet. Get that job. Work a couple years. Changes your perspective. Just make sure you get college done BEFORE you have kids.

Well I already screwed that one over. I had my first child in May. But I will be honest. It wasn't at all planned. He was supposed to be an American.

Copy that! God how I miss my family there, also by marriage. Plus walking barefoot on Copacabana on Christmas day, which I've done, helped me cope with no snow on Xmas. :)

I'm not really understanding you there. Are you yourself Brazilian or your spouse?

I'm not really understanding you there. Are you yourself Brazilian or your spouse?

Married um Brasilieira. I'm your basic Seattle-born white guy. :) But I make better beans than they do. :)

You know that is a really good idea. The real question there is if what I want to do has a university that will let me transfer my credits.

Nah to be honest I'm to scared to go to this protests. They get out of control most of the time. Especially the ones here in Rio. But Brazil really is filled with tons of corruption that in my opinion surpasses the United States.

Ergo the pinga. When it's off the chain, be the link going wild!!! :)

Married um Brasilieira. I'm your basic Seattle-born white guy. :) But I make better beans than they do. :)

Very nice! Is she from Rio? That's pretty funny that you can pull off better beans than them. They eat them everyday(which I am so sick of). My wife thinks that I make better rice than most people. Crying shame that my family in the states still makes the crappy 5 min. rice.

Very nice! Is she from Rio? That's pretty funny that you can pull off better beans than them. They eat them everyday(which I am so sick of). My wife thinks that I make better rice than most people. Crying shame that my family in the states still makes the crappy 5 min. rice.

Sao Paulo.

As for the rice, OMG!!!! Short grain, Japanese!!!! Tamaki Gold, baby. Mmmmmmmmmm. :)

You probably need to do some research on the educational background required to be a pharmacist, it's a little different that most other programs. In my state, South Carolina, to become a pharmacist, you have to have a doctorate in pharmacy, and this isn't taught at med school, it's taught at special pharmacy schools. Most pharmacy candidates never actually get a bachelors degree, they just take the courses "prescribed" for prepharmacy students (thats a pun - get it?), and then after they complete about two years of undergrad work, they apply to pharmacy school. It's a really odd thing, much like becoming a Chiropractor.

But I think that I would go crazy as a retail pharmacist. Being all cooped up in a "box" all day, just dealing with moron customers, doctors who can't right, and people who can't afford their medications and ask stupid questions about them. It really doesn't seem like a job that should require a doctorate, seems to me it is more of a low level customer service job that would be well paying but exceptionally boring.

Computer programming might be really good for you, sometimes programmers can even work from home, which can be in any country in the world. You could possibly stay in Brazil, yet work for a US company.

Do they not have colleges in Brazil? Couldn't you start your college career in Brazil? Why aren't you working or going to school right now?

I think he was saying that he made better beens that most "basic Seattle-born white guys." Probably does.

Uncle Ben's 90 seconds in the nuker. I have cooked rice 100 times the traditional ways but never better than Uncle Ben's microwavables.

Where do you want to end up raising your family (at least for the first decade), the US or Brazil? If Brazil, go to pharmacy college there. If the US, go to pharmacy training here. Same with any other medical field. I strongly suggest keeping the programming as a hobby. In any event you don't need college for programming - that particular field is all about what you can demonstrate, what you can do and not what classes you've taken. If you're dead set on it - start doing it now and on your own. The web is littered with teaching sites and forums for newbie programmers.

Do they not have colleges in Brazil? Couldn't you start your college career in Brazil? Why aren't you working or going to school right now?

Well they do have colleges here in Brazil but they aren't anywhere as near as good as the US. But my friend told me that he would help me pay for college here and get a degree. And with that degree I could really get hired on making tons of money. But I am going to start working here within the next month. It's because I was using a turist visa and you can't legally work with a tourist visa and for me to be able to work requires many months of the government deciding if they are going to let me work.

Where do you want to end up raising your family (at least for the first decade), the US or Brazil? If Brazil, go to pharmacy college there. If the US, go to pharmacy training here. Same with any other medical field. I strongly suggest keeping the programming as a hobby. In any event you don't need college for programming - that particular field is all about what you can demonstrate, what you can do and not what classes you've taken. If you're dead set on it - start doing it now and on your own. The web is littered with teaching sites and forums for newbie programmers.

Yeah if you know a lot about computers now-a-days you have an advantage in many situations. But I don't really know where I want to stay still. My wife is dead set on going to the US as soon as possible, but with the many opportunities opening up for me she could change her mind.

If you don't mind, how old are you and your other half?

Seems to me, the wife is sold on the American dream. Is that why she is gung-ho to come to the states?

And I agree with an earlier poster...as of right now, the only credentials needed to get a job as a programmer or soft ware editor is...skill. Know how. The people making the most in that field have barely made it out of high school.

Back
Top Bottom