• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1 Trillion Dollar Question

OP, possibly the biggest thing you may have going for you is being bilingual or multilingual. I am assuming that you speak Portuguese and/or possibly Spanish. I realize that you indicated you weren't interested in business, but the field of International Business is a huge thing right now, and many employers are looking for multilingual business majors. My son's college is ranked #1 in the world for it's BS in International Business, and many of their recent grads are starting out at over $100k/yr. It's REALLY tough to get into that program, but you would have an advantage with your already existing language skills.

I once read that Portuguese is basically the link between Spanish and Italian and that Portuguese speakers can often communicate fairly well with either Spanish or Italian speakers, without actually having any formal training in Spanish or Italian. I'm just thinking that if you are fluent in Portuguese, and good at linguistics, it might be really easy for you to also become fluent in Spanish and Italian, like in a matter of a few months for each language. You could start taking some transferable college classes now (online or in Brazil), then in a couple of years when you come back to the US, if you made really good grades in your transfer classes, it might be fairly easy for you to get into an International Business program. You could even start out taking foreign language classes (like Portuguese/Spanish/Italian), make easy A's in them, and have a 4.0 or close to 4.0 GPA when you transfer. You would be super valuable to any US employer who does business south of the US border, or in southwest Europe. And if you could complete the BS in International Business, you would only be one year away from completing a Masters of International Business (MiBA).

I'm not trying to recruit you to my kid's college, but they love transfers. The students transfering in help to replace those who drop out, and makes the University's matriculation numbers look good (number of freshmen divided by number of graduating students). Other than for students of the Honors college (which is also ranked #1), they don't accept business students into the IBSBA program until they have completed 60 credit hours, and the students that they do accept typically have 3.5+++ GPAs. Since it is a state university, it's way cheaper than going to an Ivy League college, but actually ranked higher in it's IBSBA program than any Ivy League school, so their grads end up with incomes comparable to many Ivy League grads.

Just something to thing about.

Undergraduate - Darla Moore School of Business

International Business - Darla Moore School of Business

Executive IMBA - Darla Moore School of Business

Master of International Business - Darla Moore School of Business

Last edited:
Actually, Pharmacy is a great field, but its getting a bit saturated. Too many colleges in some areas, too few jobs.

Most pharmacists these days get a BS before they go into a 4year pharmacy degree, and then may do a 1-3 year residency/fellowship if they want to get into the more interesting parts of the profession.

I was really thinking about going into med school and becoming a pharmacist. I don't want to go into business. I also love computers and so I also thought about computer programming.

I'd recommend the latter, mostly because you have easier opportunities to make money on the side. For example, I like to write and sell apps in my spare time.

Back
Top Bottom