• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

#1 Science Fiction television series ever is...

#1 Sci-Fi TV series ever is...

• Quantum Leap

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • V

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Who

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Star Trek: Next Generation

• Star Trek: Original Series

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Babylon 5

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • The X-Files

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Battlestar Galactica (New Version)

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other (Write in)

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters

Ockham

Noblesse oblige
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Pick your favorite ... if it's not on the list, it was probably too cheesy or short lived to make it.

ST:TOS, probably because it was one of the first true SF series and it really helped pull the genre into the mainstream and out of the realm of strictly geeky nerdhood. It also included some pretty heavy duty commentary on the society of the day. It also was one of the first series to show minorities and women serving on equal footing with white males. Plus...James T. Kirk was one more badass pimpin' mofo.

Honorable mentions

Eureka
Sliders
Stargate SG1 & Universe
Enterprise
Lex
Firefly

My absolute favorite is a tie between Babylon 5 and Firefly.

The Twilight Zone was neither cheesy nor short-lived. All sci-fi TV owes its existence to that show.

The Twilight Zone was neither cheesy nor short-lived. All sci-fi TV owes its existence to that show.

true, but the TZ wasn't strictly a SciFi series it was more X-Files than true scifi. true they did throw in a "space theme" episode every now and again, but for the most part I wouldn't consider TZ to be SciFi. :shrug:

Oh...and FWIW, I will track down and personally teabag anyone who votes for "Buffy" If that is SciFi then I am the POTUS. :lamo

Last edited:
Fringe, if you count that as sci-fi

I tended to agree and it was difficult leaving the TWZ and The Outer Limits off the list, but I tended to keep the list to the last 10-12 years of so and I know Twilight Zone had a resurgence it just wasn't very popular - though the old one's are still badd ass. That and I'm limited to 10 items on the poll. :mrgreen:

Red Dwarf

The smartest Sci-Fi ever put on television.

Dude, I love red dwarf. I have series I - VIII on disk. I must have watched them each a dozen times this past year.

I tended to agree and it was difficult leaving the TWZ and The Outer Limits off the list, but I tended to keep the list to the last 10-12 years of so and I know Twilight Zone had a resurgence it just wasn't very popular - though the old one's are still badd ass. That and I'm limited to 10 items on the poll. :mrgreen:

and yet you included Buffy the vampire slayer????? :vomit:

How do you limit "ever" to last 10-12 years?

And if that's so, then TOS, TNG, Babylon 5, Quantum Leap, V, and most of the X-Files need to go.

I always liked QUANTUM LEAP. As a child I was brought up on the various drama shows like THE FUGITIVE where there was a central character but the setting and story changed every week as he went somewhere new. ROUTE 66 was much the same formula as were a few others in the Golden Age of Television.

And I used to watch LEAP with my son when we could agree on little else so there is a sentimental reason for it also. I still love the final episode.

For scifi fans that haven't watched Farscape yet, check it out. good stuff.. one of the best scifi shows to come out of the late 90s imo.

Star Trek
Stargate SG 1 series and spin offs
The Outer Limits
The Twilight Zone
Far scape
Firefly
The X File

Why is Buffy being put up as Sci Fi? Buffy is no more Sic FI than Twilight is a Vampire novel. Yes I went there god damn Fairies ruining Vampires UGG. Buffy is more of a romance drama with a touch of horror added in for a plot. And I am a fan and I don't consider it number one in anything.

Last edited:
Dude, I love red dwarf. I have series I - VIII on disk. I must have watched them each a dozen times this past year.

I like your av but my favorite character was the original Holly. The concepts and settings were pretty intelligent no matter how goofy the dialog.

lately the best sci-fi out there has been the news media.

Last edited:
I LOVED the X-Files. I'll never forget the one about the guy who could flatten his body to crawl under doorways and such. Creepy.

How can you have Buffy The Vampire Slayer on your list (it isn't even sci fi) and not Firefly? Firefly wasn't on very long, but it was fantastic while it lasted. Fringe is a very close second.

Pick your favorite ... if it's not on the list, it was probably too cheesy or short lived to make it.

I picked Star Trek Next Generation. Never jumped the shark.

I picked Star Trek Next Generation. Never jumped the shark.

It jumped the shark with the Picard-living-an-entire-life episode that was a baldly derivative of Arthur C. Clarke's The Star ...... jumped the shark with a flute.

Back
Top Bottom