• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1% of America is in prison

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I goggled something because of something someone said in another thread and found this. What a mind blower!

On January 1, 2008 more than 1 in 100 adults in the United States were in prison or jail.

[SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP]
In 2008 approximately one in every 31 adults (7.3 million) in the United States was behind bars, or being monitored (probation and parole). In 2008 the breakdown for adults under correctional control was as follows: one out of 18 men, one in 89 women, one in 11 African-Americans (9.2 percent), one in 27 Latinos (3.7 percent), and one in 45 Caucasians (2.2 percent). Crime rates have declined by about 25 percent from 1988-2008.[SUP][17][/SUP] In recent decades the U.S. has experienced a surge in its prison population, quadrupling since 1980, partially as a result of mandatory sentencing that came about during the "war on drugs." Violent crime and property crime have declined since the early 1990s.[SUP][18][/SUP] Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A black male born in 1991 has a 29% chance of spending time in prison at some point in his life.

Nearly one in three African American males aged 20–29 are under some form of criminal justice supervision whether imprisoned, jailed, on parole or probation.

One out of nine African American men will be incarcerated between the ages of 20 and 34.

^^^

These numbers are staggering.

A black male born in 1991 has a 29% chance of spending time in prison at some point in his life.

Nearly one in three African American males aged 20–29 are under some form of criminal justice supervision whether imprisoned, jailed, on parole or probation.

One out of nine African American men will be incarcerated between the ages of 20 and 34.

^^^

These numbers are staggering.

I was really shocked when I stumbled on my stat and you are not making me feel any better. this is just amazing and depressing too.

I goggled something because of something someone said in another thread and found this. What a mind blower!

On January 1, 2008 more than 1 in 100 adults in the United States were in prison or jail.

In 2008 approximately one in every 31 adults (7.3 million) in the United States was behind bars, or being monitored (probation and parole). In 2008 the breakdown for adults under correctional control was as follows: one out of 18 men, one in 89 women, one in 11 African-Americans (9.2 percent), one in 27 Latinos (3.7 percent), and one in 45 Caucasians (2.2 percent). Crime rates have declined by about 25 percent from 1988-2008.[SUP][17][/SUP] In recent decades the U.S. has experienced a surge in its prison population, quadrupling since 1980, partially as a result of mandatory sentencing that came about during the "war on drugs." Violent crime and property crime have declined since the early 1990s.[SUP][18][/SUP] Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See what a great job the war on drugs is doing providing employment? First, there are the guards keeping watch on all those druggies and dealers, then there are the cooks feeding them, plus the pencil pushers administering all those prisons, and the health care professionals keeping them healthy, not to mention the benefit of taking so many people out of the job market altogether.

And where else can a high school dropout make a six figure salary besides selling weed?

Of course, it's running the country into bankruptcy, as well as letting real criminals out of jail for lack of room, but, hey, there has to be some downside, doesn't there?

I wonder how different these stats would be 10 years after an end to arresting drug users, and legalizing marijuana, and psilocybin.

See what a great job the war on drugs is doing providing employment? First, there are the guards keeping watch on all those druggies and dealers, then there are the cooks feeding them, plus the pencil pushers administering all those prisons, and the health care professionals keeping them healthy, not to mention the benefit of taking so many people out of the job market altogether.

And where else can a high school dropout make a six figure salary besides selling weed?

Of course, it's running the country into bankruptcy, as well as letting real criminals out of jail for lack of room, but, hey, there has to be some downside, doesn't there?

I have to agree, the war on drugs has been a bigger failure than the war on poverty.

I don't think you can make six figures selling weed. You'd have to be dealing some other stuff.

I wonder how different these stats would be 10 years after an end to arresting drug users, and legalizing marijuana, and psilocybin.

I'm not sure but I don't think pot gets you into prison unless you are a huge distributor, I think it's more the opiates but I'm just guessing here.

I don't think you can make six figures selling weed. You'd have to be dealing some other stuff.

Those high school dropouts might have to branch out a bit, but it has to pay more than flipping burgers.

I'm not sure but I don't think pot gets you into prison unless you are a huge distributor, I think it's more the opiates but I'm just guessing here.

Unless you get picked up by the federal government. You get virtually guaranteed prison for what would get you a $50 fine if your local cops caught you.

I was really shocked when I stumbled on my stat and you are not making me feel any better. this is just amazing and depressing too.

I know.

And only 52% of black students finish high school. So if you take any black high school in the country, only 52% of the students will graduate, whereas 29% will spend time in jail. That is just sad.

And then you have areas that are much worse. I know of schools where way under half of the students are even graduating. Instead, the kids are taking to the streets, getting in trouble.

Those high school dropouts might have to branch out a bit, but it has to pay more than flipping burgers.

LOL @ "branch out." You make it sound like a legitimate business.

Yes, they have to diversify their product offerings to take advantage of various market segments.

I know.

And only 52% of black students finish high school. So if you take any black high school in the country, only 52% of the students will graduate, whereas 29% will spend time in jail. That is just sad.

And then you have areas that are much worse. I know of schools where way under half of the students are even graduating. Instead, the kids are taking to the streets, getting in trouble.

I don;t think it helps much when dad is in jail

Selling ounces? Probably not. Growing? Oh yeah, if you're good at what you do six figures isn't too hard. It's a full-time job, mind you, with all the uncertainties that all farming involves but, like all other entrepreneurial pursuits, dedicated hard work will pay you well.
And tax-free.

LOL @ "branch out." You make it sound like a legitimate business.

Yes, they have to diversify their product offerings to take advantage of various market segments.

Yes, I believe that is the proper business terminology.

Why do most Americans not see a problem with this?

I don;t think it helps much when dad is in jail

Yeah, well the truth is that the black community has serious and deep problems, and they get swept under the rug by the media. Most Americans see things like the Cosby Show, and see one big happy family, and think that's what life in black america is all about.

TV will literally brainwash you.

The reality is much more sobering. Black communities are hurting.

I think every American sees a problem with this, I think most Americans disagree on how to solve it.

Lock more people up for longer seems to be the solution right now.

Selling ounces? Probably not. Growing? Oh yeah, if you're good at what you do six figures isn't too hard. It's a full-time job, mind you, with all the uncertainties that all farming involves but, like all other entrepreneurial pursuits, dedicated hard work will pay you well.
And tax-free.

He said dealing, not supplying. If you're growing you aren't usually going to sell direct, unless you're stupid and like going to jail.

That would be interesting to see, no doubt. I've not checked the stats on crime types with regard to demographic factors.

Lock more people up for longer seems to be the solution right now.

Should we let criminals go free? We're a wealthy country. If we can afford to incarcerate our criminals, then it's better for everyone if they're off the street.

I think you're right that it's more harder drugs that they're arresting users for, but they do arrest pot users to get to their dealers. Also, I think if pot was legal you'd see a lot of dealers/distributors go out of business which would force them to either move to harder drugs or find a real job, and I'm just guessing here to, but I think there's a lot of weed dealers out there who wouldn't be willing to start selling (pharmaceutical)heroine, cocaine, or meth. I'm sure there's also some that would though.

Should we let criminals go free? We're a wealthy country. If we can afford to incarcerate our criminals, then it's better for everyone if they're off the street.

Some guy selling pot / Or some guy murdering people?

Back
Top Bottom