• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1% of America is in prison

Probation isn't enough of a deterrent. The only alternative to incarceration is corporal punishment, which I consider uncivilized in this day and age.

The only two punishments you can think of for a bar fight are incarceration and corporal punishment ?

Wow. Deep thinker aren't you.

I'm not sure but I don't think pot gets you into prison unless you are a huge distributor, I think it's more the opiates but I'm just guessing here.

Unfortunately that's incorrect. Pot can definitely get you real prison time.

I believe you can't call a society a free one if they lock people in cages for owning a plant.

Based on the crime and murder rate, I'd say we are 3-4% behind the curve.

Exactly if anything we need to double the prison population and quadruple the rate of executions !

I suspect Obama and his minions are working hard to up that percentage...

A black male born in 1991 has a 29% chance of spending time in prison at some point in his life.

Nearly one in three African American males aged 20–29 are under some form of criminal justice supervision whether imprisoned, jailed, on parole or probation.

One out of nine African American men will be incarcerated between the ages of 20 and 34.

^^^

These numbers are staggering.
So, who is at fault. The black man that cannot control his actions in civil society? Or its just more whitey keepin' them down?

It's all always the white man's fault
yanno the white man's burden?
Well isn't Africa a shining example to the rest of the world? hah

Probation isn't enough of a deterrent. The only alternative to incarceration is corporal punishment, which I consider uncivilized in this day and age.
Chain gangs?
Whats the matter with chain gangs.
"Steeeeepppp, shake them chains, steeeeeeppppp, shake them chains and dont lettem' drag boys".

Deterrence =/= Retribution

It still deters it is just not sending someone to to prison because it does not benefit society. If he had done it before I would say haul his ass to prison but most people aren't like that or the issue can be fixed outside of the prison system. Say he was an alcoholic we could send him to rehab instead of prison.

Isn't selling pot a misdemeanor in most states? I don't think you actually end up in jail unless you sell A LOT. And if you're selling a lot, you probably should end up in jail.

Could be, but it is still a federal crime. Moreover, some states have passed draconian sentencing laws in a misguided attempt to discourage drug use.

I'm not sure but I don't think pot gets you into prison unless you are a huge distributor, I think it's more the opiates but I'm just guessing here.

The big one now is meth labs.

Back
Top Bottom