• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1 In 3 Black Males Will Go To Prison In Their Lifetime, Report Warns

opendebate

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So this subject has been knocked about on this site often so I find this study particularly interesting. I have always believed that the numbers many people use to support their belief that minorities are more inclined towards criminal behavior are skewed because of the injustices that exist in our judicial system. In other words, if you have 20 kids causing the same kind of trouble but only the minorities (Black or Hispanic) are pulled over, those kids will have higher recorded numbers. Here are the highlights from the article:

The report was submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Committee this week in advance of the U.N.’s review of American compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights later this month. It argues that racial disparity pervades “every stage of the United States criminal justice system, from arrest to trial to sentencing.”

“Racial minorities are more likely than white Americans to be arrested,” the report explains. “Once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted; and once convicted, they are more likely to face stiff sentences.”

The report's findings lead its authors to conclude that the U.S. is violating the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which states that all citizens must be treated equally under the law.

The problem begins with police activity. According to Justice Department data cited in the report, police arrested black youth for drug crimes at more than twice the rate of white youth between 1980 and 2010, nationwide. Yet a 2012 study from the National Institute on Drug Abuse found that white high-school students were slightly more likely to have abused illegal drugs within the past month than black students of the same age.

Blacks are also far more likely than whites to be stopped by the police while driving. The Sentencing Project report largely attributes the racial disparities in both traffic and drug arrests to “implicit racial bias” on the part of the police.

“Since the nature of law enforcement frequently requires police officers to make snap judgments about the danger posed by suspects and the criminal nature of their activity, subconscious racial associations influence the way officers perform their jobs,” the report contends.

The disparities don’t end with arrests. Because blacks and Latinos are generally poorer than whites, they are more likely to rely on court-appointed public defenders.....

...From 1999 to 2005, African Americans constituted about 13 percent of drug users, but they made up about 46 percent of those convicted for drug offenses, the report points out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/racial-disparities-criminal-justice_n_4045144.html

Discuss....

(If anyone is interested in a copy of the study you can download from the article.)

Last edited:
2 in 3 will not be spending time in prison.

Nothing but liberal whine.

Should probably do something about that...Brotha Jesse gonna make a speech?

Thank you for showing us your amazing math skills. We're all very impressed.

When. Society issues are looked at in abstract math terms, the only response is with math. As for you being impressed, I view that as no accomplishment.

Didn't you know? It's all about their culture. No critical thought required on this issue.

When. Society issues are looked at in abstract math terms, the only response is with math. As for you being impressed, I view that as no accomplishment.

Statistics are not abstract math. The point of the thread is to draw attention to the alarming fact that about 33.33% of all black males are in prison at some point in their life time. The OP didn't ask all of the different ways you could write that statistic.

Didn't you know? It's all about their culture. No critical thought required on this issue.
Over the years I have seen this always get thrown out there.
Yet never taken seriously.

It is always some other issue that they believe needs to be addressed that has absolutely nothing to do with their own culture/actions.
And that is what is addressed with no change to the stats.
I think it is time that they start seriously looking at their own culture and fix what is wrong with it.

As I am thinking about this, I am wondering how those African Americans (those who were born and raised in Africa and later became a citizen) compare statistically.
I would bet there is a distinct difference between them and those who were born into and raised in the Black American culture.

Though I can accept that Blacks and Hispanic people may be pulled over more than whites, there are other elements that can cause pull overs.

I had a friend, a mother with a teenager girl. The girl at that time was 16 and liked to color her hair blue. I was in the vehicle when I noticed a police behind the car in the lane next to my friends. The teenage girl was in the back of the van and visible to those behind us. The light turned yellow when my friend entered the intersection and red before she had made her turn. The car next to her, which was the car in front of the policeman turned after her, yet the police gave my friend the ticket. He seemed surprised to see a normal clean cut mother driving. He said, "Did you see me?" She said, "Yes, you were behind the vehicle next to me that turned after I did." The policeman looked embarrassed, but said nothing.

Another situation was with two church going teenage boys, who both owned a Fury, which seemed to be cars police stopped because they were acquainted with drug addicts. They couldn't give them tickets because they did nothing wrong or had anything wrong with the vehicle.

I've also been told, even by police, that red cars are stopped more often by police than white cars.

People with money, whether they are black or white will, more often, have the ability to keep their family out of prison's for doing drugs. Poor people will have more problems because they don't have the money and they have no place to go but the streets. So I guess the answer is, don't do drugs, don't drive under the influence or do something that might get you pulled over or arrested.

I agree, some laws are not fair and sometimes it's not fair the way people are treated. And sometimes certain races or types are discriminated against. The best we can do is stick together and try to change some of these laws and problems.

Statistics are not abstract math. The point of the thread is to draw attention to the alarming fact that about 33.33% of all black males are in prison at some point in their life time. The OP didn't ask all of the different ways you could write that statistic.

Fine, what percent of those people in prison committed a crime? Is it a symptom? Sure, of people who commit crimes.

How about we choose to not glorify people who commit crimes?

Fine, what percent of those people in prison committed a crime? Is it a symptom? Sure, of people who commit crimes.

The hell? Glorifying people who commit crimes? Are you even on the same planet as this conversation? I don't recall anybody excusing their actions either. It was simply a statistic showing that a major problem exists.

Should probably do something about that...Brotha Jesse gonna make a speech?

Wow, I am actually a little shocked that you just said that.

Right Data....

This is all about critical thought. Doing a study of this nature is precising that.

It is always some other issue that they believe needs to be addressed that has absolutely nothing to do with their own culture/actions.
And that is what is addressed with no change to the stats.
I think it is time that they start seriously looking at their own culture and fix what is wrong with it.

As I am thinking about this, I am wondering how those African Americans (those who were born and raised in Africa and later became a citizen) compare statistically.
I would bet there is a distinct difference between them and those who were born into and raised in the Black American culture.

An issue can have multiple causes or influences. Why refuse to accept something that is consistently supported through research? Why not do everything we can to solve the problem including addressing causes you are not comfortable with especially when, as I said before, they are consistently supported through research. Sometimes understanding the cause of problem helps you target the most effective solution.

It is not glorifying the crime. If is genuinely your attitude what you should be screaming is ...why aren't we arresting all the white people too!!

So this subject has been knocked about on this site often so I find this study particularly interesting. I have always believed that the numbers many people use to support their belief that minorities are more inclined towards criminal behavior are skewed because of the injustices that exist in our judicial system. In other words, if you have 20 kids causing the same kind of trouble but only the minorities (Black or Hispanic) are pulled over, those kids will have higher recorded numbers. Here are the highlights from the article:

The report was submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Committee this week in advance of the U.N.’s review of American compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights later this month. It argues that racial disparity pervades “every stage of the United States criminal justice system, from arrest to trial to sentencing.”

“Racial minorities are more likely than white Americans to be arrested,” the report explains. “Once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted; and once convicted, they are more likely to face stiff sentences.”

The report's findings lead its authors to conclude that the U.S. is violating the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which states that all citizens must be treated equally under the law.

The problem begins with police activity. According to Justice Department data cited in the report, police arrested black youth for drug crimes at more than twice the rate of white youth between 1980 and 2010, nationwide. Yet a 2012 study from the National Institute on Drug Abuse found that white high-school students were slightly more likely to have abused illegal drugs within the past month than black students of the same age.

Blacks are also far more likely than whites to be stopped by the police while driving. The Sentencing Project report largely attributes the racial disparities in both traffic and drug arrests to “implicit racial bias” on the part of the police.

“Since the nature of law enforcement frequently requires police officers to make snap judgments about the danger posed by suspects and the criminal nature of their activity, subconscious racial associations influence the way officers perform their jobs,” the report contends.

The disparities don’t end with arrests. Because blacks and Latinos are generally poorer than whites, they are more likely to rely on court-appointed public defenders.....

...From 1999 to 2005, African Americans constituted about 13 percent of drug users, but they made up about 46 percent of those convicted for drug offenses, the report points out.

1 In 3 Black Males Will Go To Prison In Their Lifetime, Report Warns

Discuss....

(If anyone is interested in a copy of the study you can download from the article.)
Not criticizing, just asking. Do they make the separation between prisons and jail in this?

An issue can have multiple causes or influences. Why refuse to accept something that is consistently supported through research? Why not do everything we can to solve the problem including addressing causes you are not comfortable with especially when, as I said before, they are consistently supported through research. Sometimes understanding the cause of problem helps you target the most effective solution.
Refusing "to accept something that is consistently supported through research?"
I think you are confused. Maybe not. Let's see.
What cause are you talking about, that is consistently supported through research?

It is not glorifying the crime. If is genuinely your attitude what you should be screaming is ...why aren't we arresting all the white people too!!

Of course, let's round up a bunch of white people so we can keep all the races in prison at the same percentage.

How about we put in prison everyone who commits a crime? Some stupid math exercise doesn't solve any problems as though we are supposed to be shocked. I don't want anyone in prison who doesn't belong there.

How is that for attitude? As for my race, what difference does that make either?

It's taken plenty seriously by a large part of the white population.

Refusing "to accept something that is consistently supported through research?"
I think you are confused. Maybe not. Let's see.
What cause are you talking about, that is consistently supported through research?
Did you not see the question?

It's taken plenty seriously by a large part of the white population.

Really?
Which part is that?
The ones who do not believe blacks are responsible for the cause of their higher representation in the statistics? Or the other group that believes they are?

Back
Top Bottom