• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1,000s Turkish forces surround NATO’s Incirlik air base for ‘inspection’ amid rumors

Beaudreaux

Preserve Protect Defend
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why this is not all over US media is beyond me. I've seen it on a number of other sights, but none US based.

1,000s Turkish forces surround NATO’s Incirlik air base for ‘inspection’ amid rumors of coup attempt

Some 7,000 armed police in heavy vehicles surrounded the Incirlik air base used by NATO forces in Adana in what a Turkish minister called a “security check.” With no official explanation, speculations have arisen about a new coup attempt or VIP visit.

Hurriyet reported earlier that Adana police had been tipped off about a new coup attempt, and forces were immediately alerted. The entrance to the base was closed off.

Security forces armed with rifles and armored TOMA vehicles used by Turkish riot police could be seen at the site in photos taken by witnesses.

[...]

There are numerous on-scene reports, pics, and video's all over the internet.

Re: 1,000s Turkish forces surround NATO’s Incirlik air base for ‘inspection’ amid rum

Why this is not all over US media is beyond me. I've seen it on a number of other sights, but none US based.

Another coup attempt? Jesus Christ.

Turkey's going to Hell in a handbasket.

Re: 1,000s Turkish forces surround NATO’s Incirlik air base for ‘inspection’ amid rum

So the stupid turks are attacking us? Do they really wanna go there....

They must want us to come in there and sort em out..

Another coup attempt? Jesus Christ.

Turkey's going to Hell in a handbasket.

I doubt it's another coup attempt. More like Erdogan flexing his muscles to gain leverage in negotiations with NATO. However, if he isn't careful, NATO member or not, if he cuts off the US Air Force and other US forces located there he'll get a US boot shoved up his rear. I can't imagine the US DoD just sitting on their hands with 7,000 troops surrounding our forces at Incirlik Air Base. This has the potential to go real bad, real fast.

I just hope Obama is up to this.

I doubt it's another coup attempt. More like Erdogan flexing his muscles to gain leverage in negotiations with NATO. However, if he isn't careful, NATO member or not, if he cuts off the US Air Force and other US forces located there he'll get a US boot shoved up his rear. I can't imagine the US DoD just sitting on their hands with 7,000 troops surrounding our forces at Incirlik Air Base. This has the potential to go real bad, real fast.

Well regardless, that does sound really bad. And you're right, why the hell isn't this all over the news? You'd think this story would be blowing up.

By the way... the US has between 50 and 90 nuclear weapons at Incirlik under our NATO agreement with what is called the NATO Nuclear Sharing Agreement that supersedes the NPT between NATO countries.

Well regardless, that does sound really bad. And you're right, why the hell isn't this all over the news? You'd think this story would be blowing up.

The news is too busy complaining about whatever idiotic thing Trump said, or on the other hand whining about Hilary's blantant obvious, constantly brought up character flaws.

Yeah, I don't understand that at all. They were showing live feeds during the coup, but nothing now. My only thought is that the Erdogan government has put a lid on international reporters like Russia does from time to time. However, Twitter and Facebook seem to be still working there, so they could use those if nothing else.

I just hope Obama is up to this.

Erdogan's going to find out real fast what's up if he tries something moronic, but all that Neo Ottoman bull**** might have gone to his head. We'll see.

The news is too busy complaining about whatever idiotic thing Trump said, or on the other hand whining about Hilary's blantant obvious, constantly brought up character flaws.

I don't know. The attempted coup in Turkey got a whole lot of media attention. So because of that, I seriously don't understand why this hasn't gotten any major news coverage.

Yeah, I don't understand that at all. They were showing live feeds during the coup, but nothing now. My only thought is that the Erdogan government has put a lid on international reporters like Russia does from time to time. However, Twitter and Facebook seem to be still working there, so they could use those if nothing else.

Well I did read some of the article, and it said that Turkey’s minister for EU Affairs is downplaying the situation, and all he said was that a “security inspection” was carried out.

So that may be what the Turkish government is trying to do: downplay it.

Last edited:

I don't know. The attempted coup in Turkey got a whole lot of media attention. So because of that, I seriously don't understand why this hasn't gotten any major news coverage.

It is kinda strange.....

USAF Security humping the perimeter saying, "I didn't sign up for this ****."

USAF Security humping the perimeter saying, "I didn't sign up for this ****."

Amen brother. I'd love to hear the SF's talking to each other about this - FTS and BOHICA.

This may be nothing, but it sure looks strange. The base is reportedly on lockdown. The Erdogan government cut power to the base right after the coup, and that got basically no press - they've been running on on-site back-up generators.

Well I did read some of the article, and it said that Turkey’s minister for EU Affairs is downplaying the situation, and all he said was that a “security inspection” was carried out.

So that may be what the Turkish government is trying to do: downplay it.

It may be nothing. The pictures on Twitter are showing a bunch of dump trucks, which makes no sense to me, for either a "security check" like the local government says, or even for a takeover of the base. That is, unless they think they can get the nukes in them.... just kidding.

I haven't seen any updates. Perhaps its nothing?

Boy oh Boy.....the disasters keep piling up for Merkel and The Professor.

American army chief Joseph Dunford is due to visit that same base today.

Ergodan supporters surrounding the base chanting anti-US and anti-Israel slogans.

Over 90 nuclear war heads are stored on that base.

Yeah, this may just be Putin playing Hide the Weenie. Still sort of strange that noting else is being reported - at all.

Maybe nothing is being mentioned because there is now a broken arrow.

Back
Top Bottom