• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

🇫🇷 French 🇫🇷 Presidential Election: Live Updates and News (10 April 2022)

The second turnout measurement will come at 5pm local, in just over an hour.

This will give us already a much better overview of how participation has changed vs. 2017 and in which departments (areas) of France it has gone up or down.

PARIS — France began voting on Sunday in the first round of an election that has come alive in the past two weeks as Marine Le Pen, the perennial far-right candidate, has steadily cut the polling lead of the incumbent, President Emmanuel Macron.

Now within two percentage points of Mr. Macron in the latest Ifop-Fiducial poll, Ms. Le Pen has softened her tone, if not her virulently anti-immigrant program. She has given the impression of being closer to the day-to-day concerns of French people, especially with regard to sharply rising gas prices and inflation.

merlin_205294692_569363c4-68ac-4bbb-9b59-1d6b66dede88-superJumbo.jpg

Mr. Macron, by contrast, has often appeared disengaged, taken up with countless telephone calls to President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia that have proved ineffectual; refusing to debate other candidates; and holding just one big rally, and that in Paris. His election slogan, “Avec Vous,” or “With You,” has proved less than persuasive.

The muted campaign and broader disillusionment with politics have contributed to concerns that many voters will sit out the election. By noon on Sunday, voter turnout was 25.48 percent, the lowest in a French presidential election since 2002, according to official figures.

Still, having steered the country through the long Covid-19 crisis, brought unemployment to its lowest level in a decade and lifted economic growth, he has convinced many French people that he has what it takes to lead.

He has also become almost the lone face of electable political moderation, as center-left and center-right political parties have collapsed, yielding to extremes of right and left.

The possibility of France lurching toward an anti-NATO, pro-Russia, xenophobic and nationalistic position in the event of a Le Pen victory constitutes a potential shock as great as the 2016 British vote for Brexit or the election the same year of Donald J. Trump as president in the United States.

President Biden has repeatedly said the world is at an “inflection point” in the confrontation between autocracy and democracy. A France under Ms. Le Pen would push the needle in the very direction that the United States and many of France’s European Union partners oppose.

Over the course of a subdued campaign, often overshadowed by the war in Ukraine and so opaque that any prediction of the outcome is hazardous, immigration, security and the economy emerged as the main themes. Many French people feel left out from the economic growth that Mr. Macron has delivered and are anxious about the violence in their neighborhoods.

The one new face of the campaign — a glib, fiercely xenophobic TV pundit turned politician named Éric Zemmour — ended up doing Ms. Le Pen a service before his campaign faded.

By outflanking her on the right, he helped in her “banalization” quest — the attempt to look more innocuous and so join the French political mainstream, even as she proclaimed, “France, land of immigration, is finished.”

If Mr. Macron and Ms. Le Pen qualify for the runoff on April 24, it will be a repeat of the last election in 2017. Five years ago, Mr. Macron trounced Ms. Le Pen with 66.9 percent of the vote to her 33.1 percent. It is safe to say that it will be much closer than that this time around.

Aurelien Breeden contributed reporting.

Roger Cohen

Post your predictions and thoughts here.

The person who wrote the majority of thoughts you post here certainly seems to have a favorite in this race.

No problem 😉

If you have more questions about their elections, I can help out.

France and its election system is virtually 1:1 as our Austrian system. Quick, safe and effective.
I noticed all the polling places look like in our tiny town--and then you told me each one is responsible for only 500 people, which is how many voters we have. It makes voting very easy.

The first estimates based on the exit polls will be published after the closing of the last polling stations, at 20.00 local time. (Eastern Time: 2 pm.)

I noticed all the polling places look like in our tiny town--and then you told me each one is responsible for only 500 people, which is how many voters we have. It makes voting very easy.

Yeah, as it should be.

In most European countries, voting takes only 2 minutes.

Only here and then you see longer lines (now with Covid protections, more).

In most rural areas in the US, voting is very quick too - but then you have such states like Florida or New York or Pennsylvania or Georgia, where you see 6-hour long lines and people leave. WTF ?

Voting administration isn’t so hard, but unfortunately Republican governors and state legislatures drain democratic cities from proper money flowing into election organization and even some democratic led states are very incompetent (New York !).

No absentee ballots allowed? What about the disabled?

France offers proxy voting.

If you cannot go to the polling station today, you can ask a relative for example to bring it to the station.

But you must name and register that person with the election commission beforehand.

What I find interesting (and you guys might not know):

US ski areas (Aspen, Vail, Lake Tahoe, Teton, Breckenridge etc.) all vote heavily Democratic.

Ski areas in France and Austria vote very conservative/rightwing.

This was earlier:

French in Montréal (Canada) are ready to vote and patient.

I really don't understand why French voters registered abroad (Canada, UK ...) HAVE to vote in-person at their consulate or embassy !

There is only one or two consulates for ten thousands of French voters in the UK or Canada !

Why not allow them a vote by mail ? Some people must drive hours to their consulate.

These lines abroad are unnecessary !

Why not allow them a vote by mail ?
The French do not allow this? I know you have to do some work before, apply online, they have to send you the forms, complete them properly and send them back.

I am a double citizen and I voted via the mail through a consulate years ago.

some rather go in.

Last edited:
The French do not allow this? I know you have to do some work before, apply online, they have to send you the forms, complete them properly and send them back.

I am a double citizen and I voted via the mail through a consulate years ago.

So they are allowing postal voting for French abroad ?

Interesting.

Why are there such long lines in front of embassies then ?

I wouldn't stand in line for hours if I could vote by mail.

Unless it's a tradition to stand in line for hours to chat with fellow Frenchpeople ...

So they are allowing postal voting for French abroad ?

Interesting.

Why are there such long lines in front of embassies then ?

I wouldn't stand in line for hours if I could vote by mail.

Unless it's a tradition to stand in line for hours to chat with fellow Frenchpeople ...
I am not French, but it was a country in an European Union. Not sure for France specifically.

You have to do work before, complete certain things and then you get them home.

I am guessing if people don't want to go through the process of downloading, printing and mailing the forms, they just show up.

For some is like a tradition -> random talks in line, arguments, sometimes fights depending how tense the political climate is.

I know it’s extremely unlikely, but it’s possible that Macron only ends up 3rd and is eliminated in Round 1.

Imagine something like a 3-way race, in which all main candidates get around 22-23% and Macron loses the runoff spot by a few thousand votes …

Or Le Pen getting 26%, leftist Melenchon 22% and Macron 21%.

In any case, a Le Pen vs. Melenchon runoff would be a stunning upset - because of Macron’s defeat.

Macron would underperform polls by 3-5% in this case, while Melenchon would outperform polls by 5%. As I said, unlikely, but not impossible because he’s been gaining ground for weeks now.
Thanks for the thread! France has certainly got my attention today and probably even more so later in the month for the runoff.
My guess is Trudeau will pull it off this month. But, with the sudden polling increase for Le Pen, I suppose a Brexit style voting surprise isn't out of the question.
I don't know nearly as much about this election as you do - but I thought you guesses in comment 6 looked logical.

This comment I'm quoting here got a "wow" out of me. Extremely unlikely, like you said, but wouldn't that be crazy. Not entirely impossible.

France votes by PAPER only. No voting machines.

As can be seen in the pictures I posted.

People fill out their ballot in secret boxes with veils/curtains, so that nobody can look.

Votes are then thrown into transparent voting boxes in front of the local election commission (see pictures), who are made up of representatives of all parties.
That's interesting!!!!! That's much more like voting used to be here, decades ago. I like that and it sounds very secure!
Is there only one day of voting, today, for all but the overseas? I bet you've addressed this already. I'll read on to find out.

Hard choice for the French.

On the one hand, she has been too friendly with the Butcher in the Kremlin.
On the other hand, she is rightly concerned about the influence of immigration on French culture.

President Macron will probably squeeze through again!

I really don't understand why French voters registered abroad (Canada, UK ...) HAVE to vote in-person at their consulate or embassy !

There is only one or two consulates for ten thousands of French voters in the UK or Canada !

Why not allow them a vote by mail ? Some people must drive hours to their consulate.

These lines abroad are unnecessary !
At least here in Montreal they have rented out a hall in a convention centre at least, apparently some are waiting for 3 hours just to vote.

Unlike in the US, France has a lot of precincts per voter, which means every precinct election commission has to count just 500 votes tonight - therefore results are almost 100% by midnight.

In the US, there are many states with 10.000 voters per precinct and voters are not assigned to a certain polling station, meaning they can choose where to go to.

Then you have hour long lines like in Florida …
I well remember when I used to receive my voting card in the mail and it told me precisely where to go - my assigned voting place. It was a manageable line and it was great. It was an important day and everyone at that polling place took it very seriously - the voters and the workers. They had a list of who was expected at that location and they noted on that list when each person assigned to that location voted. ID was checked.

Unlike in the US, France has a lot of precincts per voter, which means every precinct election commission has to count just 500 votes tonight - therefore results are almost 100% by midnight.

In the US, there are many states with 10.000 voters per precinct and voters are not assigned to a certain polling station, meaning they can choose where to go to.

Then you have hour long lines like in Florida …
So like Canada then, we can usually at least project the next government before midnight EST unless the seats were super close for some reason.

Yeah, as it should be.

In most European countries, voting takes only 2 minutes.

Only here and then you see longer lines (now with Covid protections, more).

In most rural areas in the US, voting is very quick too - but then you have such states like Florida or New York or Pennsylvania or Georgia, where you see 6-hour long lines and people leave. WTF ?

Voting administration isn’t so hard, but unfortunately Republican governors and state legislatures drain democratic cities from proper money flowing into election organization and even some democratic led states are very incompetent (New York !).
Boy have you ever got that wrong!
You and Mary were discussing voting in small U.S. cities resembling voting in France. When I described getting my voting card with my assigned location and the location having a list of who could vote at that specific location - that was in a big city. It worked very well and it felt very secure.

Back
Top Bottom