• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

“Unspeakable” Images And Reports Of Russian Atrocities In Bucha, Ukraine, Are Being Condemned By World Leaders

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
“Unspeakable” Images And Reports Of Russian Atrocities In Bucha, Ukraine, Are Being Condemned By World Leaders

iu

A hand protrudes from a shallow mass grave in Bucha, Ukraine.

International leaders condemned Russian military forces on Sunday following reports of an alleged mass grave and graphic images of civilian killings in Bucha, a suburb of Kyiv. As Ukrainian soldiers regained control, Ukrainian leaders shared images of people fatally shot with their hands tied behind their backs left lying on the streets amid rubble. Journalists also reported evidence of atrocities and shared photos of civilians who had been killed. Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine’s foreign minister, went live on Twitter Sunday and said the images coming out of Bucha were "unspeakable" and devastating for Ukrainians. Russia's Ministry of Defense suggested artillery fire from Ukrainian forces shot after Russian troops withdrew could have resulted in civilian casualties. US Secretary of State Antony Blinken told CNN the images were a punch to the gut. "The most important thing is we can't become numb to this, we can't normalize this," Blinken said. "This is the reality of what's going on every single day as long as Russia's brutality against Ukraine continues, that's why it needs to come to an end."

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz also called for an investigation into Russia's alleged war crimes and said perpetrators must be held accountable. Annalena Baerbock, German foreign minister, said the images were unbearable and said Russian President Vladimir Putin's violence was wiping out innocent families and knows no bounds. Germany will support Ukraine even more in their defense and tighten sanctions against Russia, she said. "Those responsible for these war crimes must be held accountable," Baerbock said on Twitter. Kaja Kallas, the prime minister of Estonia, compared the killing of civilians in Bucha to Soviet and Nazi mass killings. "This is not a battlefield, it’s a crime scene," she wrote on Twitter. "Mass killings of Ukrainian civilians by #Russia are clear war crimes." Boris Johnson, prime minister of the UK, said Russia’s despicable attacks against innocent civilians in Bucha are more evidence that Putin and his army are committing war crimes in Ukraine. "No denial or disinformation from the Kremlin can hide what we all know to be the truth – Putin is desperate, his invasion is failing, and Ukraine’s resolve has never been stronger," Johnson said on Twitter. "I will do everything in my power to starve Putin’s war machine."

Murdering Ukrainian civilians en-masse. Shades of the Nazi SS and Stalin's NKVD.

Well, good thing we don't have any troops in there securing air bases for humanitarian missions and supplies. Just imagine how provoked Putin would be then! I mean, this is bad but if we just give the sanctions a little more time Putin will be powerless.

Isn't it interesting how every time the west tries a policy of appeasement to sate a wild dictator it not only fails but there are absolute atrocities committed by said dictator? Maybe the solution is a bigger, bolder font in all those sternly worded letters.

Well, good thing we don't have any troops in there securing air bases for humanitarian missions and supplies. Just imagine how provoked Putin would be then! I mean, this is bad but if we just give the sanctions a little more time Putin will be powerless.

Isn't it interesting how every time the west tries a policy of appeasement to sate a wild dictator it not only fails but there are absolute atrocities committed by said dictator? Maybe the solution is a bigger, bolder font in all those sternly worded letters.
You want NATO to go in, too, don't you?

You want NATO to go in, too, don't you?
I have expressed several times around here what I believe third party nations, including NATO, should do in Ukraine and to Russia.

I have expressed several times around here what I believe third party nations, including NATO, should do in Ukraine and to Russia.
Excuse me for asking. I don't keep notes. I'm not going to go searching for your solution, either. If you can't be bothered, you maybe shouldn't criticize the alternative.

I think NATO needs to go kick some ass and push Russia out of Ukraine, even Crimea if an internationally administered FAIR vote by the people of Crimea says they are Ukrainians. It wouldn't take long if NATO went in meaning business. Keep the fighting within Ukraine's boundaries but knock the Russians flat. Ukraine does not have a large enough military or the right toys to drive Russia away from the coast. Russia has invaded on too many fronts for the Ukrainians to do more than chisel away at the edges, and it's fracturing their strength.

The OP is likely to tell me that the newest shipment of toys will make the difference. I don't believe it. I don't believe that it will cause nuclear war, either, if NATO remains in Ukraine.

The OP is likely to tell me that the newest shipment of toys will make the difference. I don't believe it. I don't believe that it will cause nuclear war, either, if NATO remains in Ukraine.

On the contrary, I have always advocated for more arms for Ukraine. Especially arms like US Javelins and Stingers, the US Switchblade drones, the UK Starstreak MANPAD, NLAW missiles, Turkish Bayraktar TB-2 drones, S-300 anti-air systems, and whatever anti-ship missiles can be cobbled together.

Unless Ukraine can end Russian air superiority over Ukraine, those 24 Polish MiGs will be of limited use. (i.e. where could they land and be safe?)

On the contrary, I have always advocated for more arms for Ukraine. Especially arms like US Javelins and Stingers, the US Switchblade drones, the UK Starstreak MANPAD, NLAW missiles, Turkish Bayraktar TB-2 drones, S-300 anti-air systems, and whatever anti-ship missiles can be cobbled together.

Unless Ukraine can end Russian air superiority over Ukraine, those 24 Polish MiGs will be of limited use. (i.e. where could they land and be safe?)
You're saying exactly what I thought you would: more toys. They need more forces.

You're saying exactly what I thought you would: more toys. They need more forces.

Which would come from?

Zelenskyy has maintained all along that he doesn't need NATO troops. Just arm Ukrainian troops properly and they will do the fighting.

Last edited:

They have plenty of forces. They need more weapons, food, and medical supplies.

"Toys" are how they stopped the advance. "Toys" have destroyed thousands of armored vehicles, trucks, and aircraft.

Now they are killing mayors...no doubt to replace them with Russian Loyalists

That's how it went down in Crimea in 2014. Russian troops sealed off the Crimea parliament building. Only handpicked local pro-Russia sympathizers were allowed to enter.

And presto! A brand new Crimea leadership and a phony referendum.

iu

Now they are killing mayors...no doubt to replace them with Russian Loyalists
Not only the mayor, but her husband and her son as well. Then they put them in a pit. The pit was behind their house.

Back
Top Bottom