• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

“Stand With Ukraine” – Austria is rocking against the war in Vienna

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
“It’s not a concert against something, it’s for peace and freedom and for the people who are suffering from the war in Ukraine,” says Marco Wanda, frontman of the band Wanda, who will perform alongside Bilderbuch and Seiler und Speer. Also in attendance are Pizzera & Jaus, Mathea, Yung Hurn, Turbobier, Josh, Mavi Phoenix, Lisa Pac, Bibiza & Eli Preiss, and Eazy.

Pictures from the event last night:

FOP39bNX0AAZsa7.jpg

1282489_bigpicture_457878_ukraine_konzert_wochenende_gal12_r.jpg

1282485_bigpicture_457876_ukraine_konzert_wochenende_gal10_a.jpg

Great show of solidarity and for peace and good music. Also, several millions in donations for war victims were collected.

GO UKRAINE!

I am keeping my blue and yellow flag avatar until this very stupid, totally unjustified war is over.

Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen from the center-left Green Party (running for re-election later this year) also gave a speech at the concert:

bellen-stadion.jpg

Austrian pop star Mathea was also on the stage.

She has made it into the German charts already and she's from a town right next to me, Bruck - near Zell am See:

Ironically, there were 2 presidential candidates on stage last night:

* The incumbent Austrian president Van der Bellen I mentioned above
* Marco Pogo, lead singer of the band "Turbobier" and leader of the satirical "Beer Party" - who has announced he will challenge Van der Bellen in the fall

Both are center-left in their political views.

1282217_bigpicture_457787_ukraine_konzert_wochenende_gal5_a.jpg

Barely a mask to be seen.

This looks like a super-spreader event in the making.

Barely a mask to be seen.

This looks like a super-spreader event in the making.

Austria has the 4th largest number of COVID infections on the planet right now, behind South Korea, Brunei and Iceland - but relatively few ICU cases and more important - deaths.

Still, from Wednesday on, people should wear FFP2-masks again, indoors.

But there are signs anyway that this recent spike is coming to an end the next month - because the spike was mostly due to a huge number of Dutch, German and Eastern European winter tourists to Austria in the past few weeks due to semester school vaction trips -> our version of Florida's spring break.

After Easter in one month, the winter tourism season is over.

Austria has the 4th largest number of COVID infections on the planet right now, behind South Korea, Brunei and Iceland - but relatively few ICU cases and more important - deaths.

But there are signs anyway that this recent spike is coming to an end the next month - because the spike was mostly due to a huge number of Dutch, German and Eastern European winter tourists to Austria in the past few weeks due to semester school vaction trips -> our version of Florida's spring break.

According to the NYT statistics, Austria now even has the 2nd-highest daily case numbers in the World - after South Korea:

But as I've said, cases here will drop like a rock 2 weeks after Easter, starting in early May ...

Really?

22-03-20 F1 - WORST 54 TOTAL CASES.JPG
22-03-20 F3 - WORST 54 ACTIVE CASES.JPG

It doesn't look like it to me. It looks like Austria has the 30th highest number of total cases and the 16th highest number of active cases.

In fact, if you want to look at "burden" then Austria

22-03-20 H1 - COVID BURDEN.JPG

comes in at #18.

One can but hope.

Yeah, I'd heard the same case was up with most countries that experience such surges in tourism. It's just that I don't actually see the point in it myself. I mean, I get the idea of taking a stand through some form of activism in general. It's just that it seems a bit of a waste/risk to do this sort of thing right now. Especially with how the authorities have been treating the epidemic in several of these countries.

Back
Top Bottom