• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

“Ex-gay” Christian group to LGBT people: We’re sorry

rocket88

Mod Conspiracy Theorist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
“Ex-gay” Christian group to LGBT people: We’re sorry - Salon.com

Exodus International, a group famous for being full of "ex-gays," has apologized to the gay community and shut down.

“Exodus is an institution in the conservative Christian world, but we’ve ceased to be a living, breathing organism. For quite some time we’ve been imprisoned in a worldview that’s neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical," said Alan Chambers, president of Exodus.
Exodus International Shuts Down: Christian Ministry Apologizes To LGBT Community And Halts Operations

So it looks like they admit they were wrong. Maybe the President wasn't as cured as he thought...

Seems like he chose to fall back into sin and now wants to rationalize it.

How sad.

How sad.

He did choose his actions, that much is true. It's hard for me to blame someone for their orientation. The orientation is not a choice, what you do with it is. I would think it very hard to choose against your own body and mind -- think of it this way, if it were the other way around, could you "choose" homosexuality? I know I couldn't.

How sad.

More like he recognized that you cannot change someone's sexual orientation any more than you can change the color of their eyes...you can only mask it. He recognized the hurt and hatred that he produced over the decades that Exodus was in existence.

How sad.

While I have no doubt sin exists and exerts a profound influence on human behavior, its effects on both the spirit and the world we inhabit are generally tangible.

On the whole, that doesn't seem to be the case with homosexual relations. To the extent sin exists, it is the same sort you encounter in other romantic relationships.

How sad.

I'm curious. If you had absolutely zero sexual interest in women, and an intense sexual interest in men, and no matter what you did you couldn't get rid of it, what would you do? Would you still call it sin and just lie to yourself and be miserable your whole life? Fake a straight christian marriage to match with the bible more?

He did choose his actions, that much is true. It's hard for me to blame someone for their orientation. The orientation is not a choice, what you do with it is. I would think it very hard to choose against your own body and mind -- think of it this way, if it were the other way around, could you "choose" homosexuality? I know I couldn't.

A hole is a hole and a mouth is a mouth.

I'm curious. If you had absolutely zero sexual interest in women, and an intense sexual interest in men, and no matter what you did you couldn't get rid of it, what would you do? Would you still call it sin and just lie to yourself and be miserable your whole life? Fake a straight christian marriage to match with the bible more?

Any answer would be meaningless.

Being gay and being raised in a religiously conservative atmosphere would have had to change digsbe in some way. He would have reacted differently at different times when exposed to the precepts of the his denomination, things that he took at face value or thought about from the perspective of being straight.

At the very least, being straight makes it seem distantly more plausible that the emotions and sensations that drive homosexuals constitute a perversion of the emotions and sensations that drive straight people. Since we have limited contact with the inner life of other humans, you can imagine almost anything about their impulses.

Nobody is self-aware or honest enough to know for certain where they would have landed in such a situation.

Any answer would be meaningless.

Being gay and being raised in a religiously conservative atmosphere would have had to change digsbe in some way. He would have reacted differently at different times when exposed to the precepts of the his denomination, things that he took at face value or thought about from the perspective of being straight.

At the very least, being straight makes it seem distantly more plausible that the emotions and sensations that drive homosexuals constitute a perversion of the emotions and sensations that drive straight people. Since we have limited contact with the inner life of other humans, you can imagine almost anything about their impulses.

Nobody is self-aware or honest enough to know for certain where they would have landed

The idea is to get him thinking about what he would do if that were the case. What if a friend came to him with that? No amount of praying made it go away. Would he tell his friend "Just have a miserable, lonely life so that you don't sin"?

How sad.

It's a sin to not try to convert gay people, thus deeply damaging them in the process? Where's THAT in the bible?

I believe he is still abstaining from homosexual sex, so what's sinful about not ****ing people up by lying to them?

I think this is a net positive. In their zeal to condemn sin many Christians drive sinners farther away from Christ. Such "therapy" is clearly hurting more people than it could possibly help, and it is noble that they have admitted it and stopped, rather than be egotistical and double down on a losing bet.

How sad.

I gathered he still retains his beliefs about homosexuality, but is now choosing not to try and change other people's beliefs. Is that considered sinful?

How sad.
I wondered what the anti-gay religious spin on this would be.

Well if he just had sex with little boys rather than full grown men the church wouldn't have such an issue with it.

Maybe the Catholic church, they have been built upon pedophilia. No true Christian however would excuse a sodomite for his perverse behavior.

Maybe the Catholic church, they have been built upon pedophilia. No true Christian however would excuse a sodomite for his perverse behavior.

No true scotsman would wear underwear underneath his kilt, either.

No true scotsman would wear underwear underneath his kilt, either.

Yea, that's what I've been told. My daughter and son-in-law had a Scottish man in their wedding who wore a kilt. We wondered, but didn't take a look to see.

Back
Top Bottom