• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

“Defunding” Marshal Dillon

RobertU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
On February 19, while channel surfing, I ran across an old episode of Gunsmoke. After Marshal Dillon jails some violent cowboys, a trail boss threatens to organize a boycott of Dodge City if Dillon doesn’t go easy on his rowdy men. He refuses.

The city council strips Dillon of his powers in the city and appoints an unarmed constable (portrayed by Strother Martin) to police the town.

When the cattlemen return, the constable cannot stop a fight with words alone. The cowboys fill him with liquor then stuff him in a barrel and roll him down the street. A murder is committed and when a stray bullet kills a relative of one of the councilmen, the politicians apologize to Dillon and plead with him to restore order, which he does.

Some bad ideas just won’t go away.

Enjoy security long enough and eventually people will forget what it feels like to be threatened. Deals will be made and high-minded ideals will be attempted until security is no longer guaranteed and the people will then want it back at all costs. Rinse and repeat.

On February 19, while channel surfing, I ran across an old episode of Gunsmoke. After Marshal Dillon jails some violent cowboys, a trail boss threatens to organize a boycott of Dodge City if Dillon doesn’t go easy on his rowdy men. He refuses.

The city council strips Dillon of his powers in the city and appoints an unarmed constable (portrayed by Strother Martin) to police the town.

When the cattlemen return, the constable cannot stop a fight with words alone. The cowboys fill him with liquor then stuff him in a barrel and roll him down the street. A murder is committed and when a stray bullet kills a relative of one of the councilmen, the politicians apologize to Dillon and plead with him to restore order, which he does.

So there's dozens of cities where the police were stripped of their guns right now?
Did Marshall Dillon restore order by "rounding up all the niggers" and choking them to death?
Sounds like an "alternate" Blazing Saddles script written by Stephen Miller.

1645473762131.png STRAW MAN FALLACY DETECTED

So there's dozens of cities where the police were stripped of their guns right now?
Did Marshall Dillon restore order by "rounding up all the niggers" and choking them to death?
Sounds like an "alternate" Blazing Saddles script written by Stephen Miller.

View attachment 67376043 STRAW MAN FALLACY DETECTED
James Arness passed away ten years ago.
"Marshal Dillon" quit "marshalling" 46 years ago.
And Blazing Saddles was a parody.

Straw man fallacy detected - and it's your'n.

Being 84 years old, I of course used to watch "Gunsmoke."

I do not remember that episode.

Of course, in those days, certain topics could not be explicit.

I was such an innocent teenager that I did not realize that Kitty's profession was as a ...

I miss the 1950s because I was young and because senseless and vicious street crime simply did not occur in the nicer parts of American cities. (I had forgotten that the series ran for twenty years, ending in 1975. Oh, yes, violent crime by then had reached the nicer parts of all American cities.)

Being 84 years old, I of course used to watch "Gunsmoke."

I do not remember that episode.

Of course, in those days, certain topics could not be explicit.

I was such an innocent teenager that I did not realize that Kitty's profession was as a ...

I miss the 1950s because I was young and because senseless and vicious street crime simply did not occur in the nicer parts of American cities. (I had forgotten that the series ran for twenty years, ending in 1975. Oh, yes, violent crime by then had reached the nicer parts of all American cities by then.)
Whenever I see Matt Dillon I think of my father.

Loved watching those shows. We used to gather in the living room as a family. One of us would usually make a big batch of popcorn; and we'd watch Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Wonderful World of Disney (back when it was "wonderful" ;) ). I really miss those times.

You're comparing modern America to the Wild West?

Police are law enforcement officers. Many of them barely know the laws that they are entrusted to enforce.

Throw them in a situation like dealing with a mentally ill person, and the police aren't equipped to handle these situations.

And they often aren't great at dealing with interpersonal problems like spousal abuse.

"Defund the Police" is a horrible slogan, but what it's trying to address is real. It's simply not fair to the victims...and even the police...to put them in situations that the cops simply aren't equipped to handle. The police have their place...but the square peg still doesn't fit in the round hole.

And police don't need more paramilitary gear and armored personnel carriers...

Enjoy security long enough and eventually people will forget what it feels like to be threatened. Deals will be made and high-minded ideals will be attempted until security is no longer guaranteed and the people will then want it back at all costs. Rinse and repeat.

I've heard there is a saying from Asia saying something like:

*When the table is empty, there is one problem. When the table is full, there are many problems.*

When we are safe and well fed and everything is fine and dandy, we tend to nit pick and make mountains of mole hills. We just can't leave "well enough" alone.

There were no pressing issues to worry about with Afghanistan, with the border, with Putin, with the economy, with inflation, with energy and many, many other things. But we TOLD by propagandists that we were having issues.

Now we are suffering under the weight of real, actual, real world problems with the border, Putin, the economy, inflation, energy and many, many more.

Before Biden took office, we were TOLD that nobody could do worse against the virus than Trump was doing.

Biden said, "Oh yeah? Hold my beer!" No matter how bad things are, mismanagement can make things worse.

Because of growing problems with so many OTHER things, the Price Per Barrel of Oil is at the highest point since 2014. What's wrong with this picture?

Yeah no. Dirty Harry is only good for the fictional universe he exists in. If you wanna see a more realistic portrayal of the dirty harry types look at the punisher comics, they end up as broken men.

Yeah no. Dirty Harry is only good for the fictional universe he exists in. If you wanna see a more realistic portrayal of the dirty harry types look at the punisher comics, they end up as broken men.

Marshall Dillon was nothing like Dirty Harry.

Back
Top Bottom