• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Worse Than We Imagined’: Team Trump Left Biden a COVID Nightmare

They need a low dead space syringe. I am not MD. However, I guess there must be a reason why the low dead space syringe is not popular.

38568184-9195075-Low_dead_space_syringes_left_prevent_extra_vaccine_from_getting_-m-9_1611795589229.jpg

OK, so that makes some sense as to how a design like this would cause a loss, though I don’t get why anyone would make the syringe on the right. It actually looks more complicated. Your basic insulin syringe doesn’t have any extra space like that.

But also to put that difference of 82ul in perspective, my little bottle of insulin is 10 mL which I assume is 10,000 micro liters. So with 5 shots of Needle A versus Needle B you’d save 410/10,000th of a bottle = 4% or so. It’s not going to make 5 shots per bottle into 6 unless the bottle is very small and there’s rounding.

Not sure what the covid vaccine dose is so can’t do the math on percentage savings, but the 20 units of insulin I might take at 100 units per ml is 200 microliters if I have the math right. Wasting 82 microliters per shot on a 200 ul dose would be pretty nuts, and really stupid for pretty much any product. But if they’re doing 200ul doses they don’t need those big needles in the pictures. They could use an ordinary insulin syringe.

I think when I’ve gotten flu shots its that’s more or less what they do.

eta:

In the picture in the politico article you linked it shows a 300 uL dose, so if that’s meaningful and not just some picture some stuck in there I guess if you really are using 384 uL to get a 300 uL dose the waste is high. Not sure why it would take Covid to figure this out though. Not sure why they can’t use a common insulin syringe.

Last edited:
OK, so that makes some sense as to how a design like this would cause a loss, though I don’t get why anyone would make the syringe on the right. It actually looks more complicated. Your basic insulin syringe doesn’t have any extra space like that.

But also to put that difference of 82ul in perspective, my little bottle of insulin is 10 mL which I assume is 10,000 micro liters. So with 5 shots of Needle A versus Needle B you’d save 410/10,000th of a bottle = 4% or so. It’s not going to make 5 shots per bottle into 6 unless the bottle is very small and there’s rounding.

Not sure what the covid vaccine dose is so can’t do the math on percentage savings, but the 20 units of insulin I might take at 100 units per ml is 200 microliters if I have the math right. Wasting 82 microliters per shot on a 200 ul dose would be pretty nuts, and really stupid for pretty much any product. But if they’re doing 200ul doses they don’t need those big needles in the pictures. They could use an ordinary insulin syringe.

I think when I’ve gotten flu shots its that’s more or less what they do.
For the right syringe, I guess, in a poor country, people can replace the needle without replacing the whole syringes.
Anyway, I guess we will see how Biden Admin handle their first vaccine adversity 🙏

I’ve seen pictures of bottles of vaccine and they look more or less like bottles of insulin. The trick I use to get the last bit is 1) turn the bottle over 2) Get just the tip of the needle into the liquid and draw.

I can see not being able to get a couple units but there’s no way you can’t get to 1/6 of the bottle. Not reasonable. And if the syringe is the issue it sound more like they have to draw 25 units out of the bottle to inject 20 and then throw the other 5 away? Makes no sense. This is not some new or complicated thing.

After writing the above I google “covid vaccine picture” and don’t see anything about the bottle that looks like it would prevent you from doing what I describe above. Some of the syringes look like you might lose a small amount of vaccine in the neck because the plunger may not go all the way to the end, but no way it’s 1/6th of the dose. That would be a really stupid design for any injectable product.
First of all, all vials were label 5 doses, and Pfizer billed TRump's admin for 5 doses per vial. Some vaccine-administered clinics had the low dead space syringe, so they were able to get 6 to 7 doses per vial (maybe Pfizer put in too much for wastage). Of course, Pfizer would bill USA for 6 doses after the news broke.

I don't understand why the news could be broken out as this? Leftist dolts thought they made Trump's admin looked bad. Now, they created an issue in hand.

First of all, all vials were label 5 doses, and Pfizer billed TRump's admin for 5 doses per vial. Some vaccine-administered clinics had the low dead space syringe, so they were able to get 6 to 7 doses per vial (maybe Pfizer put in too much for wastage). Of course, Pfizer would bill USA for 6 doses after the news broke.

I don't understand why the news could be broken out as this? Leftist dolts thought they made Trump's admin looked bad. Now, they created an issue in hand.

Well, this was an interesting sidebar but I don’t see how this really has much to do with Trump or Biden. I doubt Biden was the one who figured out how to get 6 doses out of a bottle. Just because something happened *while* he was President doesn’t mean it happened *because* we was President. Sounds like practitioners figured it out and it took a while for the idea to trickle up through the bureaucracy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/health/pfizer-vaccine.html
“Pfizer will make a lot of money from these vaccines, and the U.S. government assumed a lot of the upfront risk in this case, so I’m not sure why Pfizer didn’t just continue to fill their supply as planned, even if it meant oversupplying a little,” said Dr. Aaron S. Kesselheim, a professor of medicine at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, who studies drug prices.

??? "I’m not sure why" ? Harvard academic specializing in drug prices cant fathom the math of "a lot of money" plus 20% = a lot more money? Cant see the forest for the trees?

??? "I’m not sure why" ? Harvard academic specializing in drug prices cant fathom the math of "a lot of money" plus 20% = a lot more money? Cant see the forest for the trees?
Don't read too much into the MSM's news. They just tried to make Trump's admin looking dumb.

Back
Top Bottom