• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Who gets hit and doesn’t respond?’ Video shows school worker punching autistic boy a

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
?Who gets hit and doesn?t respond?? Video shows school worker punching autistic boy after racial remark | National Post

A Brooklyn father says he’s suing after viewing newly released video footage that shows a school official punching his autistic son in the head.

Anatoly Veltman Sr. is seeking $5 million in damages over the 2014 incident at Public School 225 in Brighton Beach, where a paraprofessional trained to work with special-needs students struck then-11-year-old Anatoly Veltman Jr.

Milton Parker was initially charged with felony assault for striking the boy in the school cafeteria. Parker pleaded guilty last year to a lesser charge – misdemeanor assault – and was required to attend anger management classes, according to WNBC

Special needs (Autustic) age 11 at the time - mental capacity of a 6 year old - makes a racist comment to a Black paraprofessional - "this table is for white only" -from the link

Kid, age 11 takes a swing. And appears to not be much of a swing at that???
From the professional a hard right to the kids face.

Took the father 1 year and a court order to obtain video.

And your thoughts would be?
Oh yes, the Professionals statement
“Who gets hit and doesn’t respond?” Parker said to the newspaper. “The kid punched me in the eye first and as a reflex he got hit back.”

OK, anyone taking the Professionals side in this one?

Re: ‘Who gets hit and doesn’t respond?’ Video shows school worker punching autistic b

Nope, guys a douche. Shouldn't work with kids imo.

Re: ‘Who gets hit and doesn’t respond?’ Video shows school worker punching autistic b

a I would like to see the video for myself
b if the man worked for 26 years without an incident, he sure as hell deserves his pension
c show me the video

"Who gets hit and doesn't respond?"

Uh, most people, if the person doing the hitting in an autistic child. At least not with violence they don't. How the hell did he think he was suited for that kind of work?

b if the man worked for 26 years without an incident, he sure as hell deserves his pension
c show me the video

The video is in the link the OP provided.

c show me the video

Video is in the link.
Why do we assume this was the 1st occurrence?
Took the father 1 year, lawyers and a court order to receive the video.Why?? Smells bad to me.
That begs the question, how many other occurrences took place at the school?

The video is in the link the OP provided.

I seriously don't see it. I see the pic of the kid, but not a video.

I seriously don't see it. I see the pic of the kid, but not a video.

Maybe something with your browser? No worries. I found it on Youtube for you.

Maybe something with your browser? No worries. I found it on Youtube for you.

Thanks.

Yeah, no excuse for that. I don't know what lead to the guy provoking the kid with "this table is for white only". Had he and the kid's father some interaction before this happened?
Please know, I am not making excuses for this type of behavior, but I want to know that whole story.
One thing is for sure, he seems to have some anger issues

The guy was in the wrong and should be in jail. But $5 mil? Really? #lawsuitlottery

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

The guy was in the wrong and should be in jail. But $5 mil? Really? #lawsuitlottery

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Lawsuits always start high.

c show me the video

Are you just being cautiously unsure, here? Or do you feel that punching a child in the face is no big deal "given the right circumstances" - because it's hard to say given your response.

As a parent (of two special needs kids) - I'd face potential child abuse charges if I punched one of my kids in the face. I don't see how it would be remotely acceptable for someone who's a teacher to do the same.

Are you just being cautiously unsure, here? Or do you feel that punching a child in the face is no big deal "given the right circumstances" - because it's hard to say.

see post 9.

Ok, I watched the video and read the story.

Reconstruction:

Kid supposedly tells black guy, "This table is for whites only." Kid is autistic, which is a spectrum disorder ranging from "you can hardly tell" to "non functional". We're told in the story he has the mind of a six year old. Ok, he probably didn't understand the impact of what he was saying.

Video begins: the black Staff guy (paraprofessional) is leaning over the boy and something is being said at the time, we don't know exactly what. The boy suddenly goes from seemingly normal posture to instantly punching. What caused that? Did the staff guy say something provocative in return?

Staff guy instantly hits back, with adult-male strength on an 11yo that's kind of a problem even in "self-defense".

Nobody died. Once upon a time when we were less namby-pamby this would have been a learning experience for all concerned. The kid to watch his mouth and not hit adult male authority figures. The staff member to mind his temper and not punch an 11yo with mental issues.

I don't see criminal charges... too easily called self-defense, and yes in the heat of the moment anyone might be provoked to hit back. Probably the man was already angry about the comment.

But no, he certainly should have been disciplined by the school, suspended without pay for a couple weeks at least, and he should have paid the boy's medical bills without being asked. Whether he was suited to work with children with disabilities at all should have been up for review also. Depends on a lot of things we don't know imho.

I recall my HS Vice Principal, Mr Riley. Big black guy with an afro, about 6'2, 275# and with arms like tree trunks. Nobody, even among the testosterone-poisoned wild-eyed brawlers I grew up with, ever took a swing at him, they were afraid of the return serve. :)

Mr Gaffney, otoh, was a history professor and a man of modest size, but was always jumping in the middle of fights to stop them, and the poor guy got beat up several times. He'd always come back for more though. ;)

Pardon my ruminations on the past... ;)

Video begins: the black Staff guy (paraprofessional) is leaning over the boy and something is being said at the time, we don't know exactly what. The boy suddenly goes from seemingly normal posture to instantly punching. What caused that? Did the staff guy say something provocative in return?

Staff guy instantly hits back, with adult-male strength on an 11yo that's kind of a problem even in "self-defense".

Nobody died. Once upon a time when we were less namby-pamby this would have been a learning experience for all concerned. The kid to watch his mouth and not hit adult male authority figures. The staff member to mind his temper and not punch an 11yo with mental issues.

I don't see criminal charges... too easily called self-defense, and yes in the heat of the moment anyone might be provoked to hit back. Probably the man was already angry about the comment.

1. The man is a paraprofessional. As such, he is trained, one would hope, to let stuff like this go. To understand that the children in his care will say and behave in socially inappropriate ways and to never, ever respond in kind to any kind of provocation by a special needs child, unless a life is in danger.

2. If I'm namby-pamby for finding his behavior utterly without excuse and upsetting to the finest degree, then call me that. There is no excuse for an adult male to hit an 11-year-old. Especially not for something he said. I could not tell from the video exactly where the child's punch landed, but that is nothing in comparison to the blow landed by this man, which caused a black and blue bump over the child's eye and a concussion.

3. Children without learning disabilities can be expected to learn not to mouth off, but kids with autism and other emotional disabilities cannot be expected to understand this as the other kids do.

Again, as a paraprofessional, he should have been well trained to never be provoked by the actions of disabled kids. He should be prosecuted for assaulting that boy.

Guy's a douche. Kid's a little ****.

Hard to take a side, really.

1. The man is a paraprofessional. As such, he is trained, one would hope, to let stuff like this go. To understand that the children in his care will say and behave in socially inappropriate ways and to never, ever respond in kind to any kind of provocation by a special needs child, unless a life is in danger.

2. If I'm namby-pamby for finding his behavior utterly without excuse and upsetting to the finest degree, then call me that. There is no excuse for an adult male to hit an 11-year-old. Especially not for something he said. I could not tell from the video exactly where the child's punch landed, but that is nothing in comparison to the blow landed by this man, which caused a black and blue bump over the child's eye and a concussion.

3. Children without learning disabilities can be expected to learn not to mouth off, but kids with autism and other emotional disabilities cannot be expected to understand this as the other kids do.

Again, as a paraprofessional, he should have been well trained to never be provoked by the actions of disabled kids. He should be prosecuted for assaulting that boy.

I'm not calling anyone namby-pamby, Miz Gina. Poor choice of words perhaps; just saying that once-upon it wouldn't have been as big a thing. I'm thinking out loud and considering all sides and angles.... autistic does not mean completely oblivious to right and wrong or unteachable, in most cases. I know this first hand.

Criminal charges would depend on the specifics of state law, but I doubt they would stick in most states due to him having been struck first. There's also the risk that some juries would consider the racial taunt as an extreme provocation... not saying I agree, just saying that prosecuting him would be iffy for several reasons.

OK, anyone taking the Professionals side in this one?
Good luck with that!

Kids autistic.

No it's not - adults shouldn't punch children in the face NO MATTER WHAT.

Seriously... what is this, the Middle Ages? People don't seem to comprehend what being an ADULT means these days.

The man was wrong. Yes, the child was behaving very badly, autistic or not. He made a racist remark then clearly punched the man in the face. However, the child should have been immediately removed from the lunchroom and taken to school authorities to be dealt with.

I feel kind of bad for the guy, because not too many people could reign in an automatic reaction to being punched in the face, and after 26 years on the job, it's a shame he lost control. If the kid's father, after seeing what his son did to provoke the punch, actually does sue him, I frankly hope the lawsuit fails. This guy already has a misdemeanor assault conviction on his record, has been forced to retire, and is now an internet punching bag himself. Enough, already.

Lawsuits always start high.

True....I just think that is the problem with tort law.

I'm not calling anyone namby-pamby, Miz Gina. Poor choice of words perhaps; just saying that once-upon it wouldn't have been as big a thing. I'm thinking out loud and considering all sides and angles.... autistic does not mean completely oblivious to right and wrong or unteachable, in most cases. I know this first hand.

Criminal charges would depend on the specifics of state law, but I doubt they would stick in most states due to him having been struck first. There's also the risk that some juries would consider the racial taunt as an extreme provocation... not saying I agree, just saying that prosecuting him would be iffy for several reasons.

You said, "when we were less namby-pamby", so I assumed if I disagreed, I would be considered "namby-pamby".

Though I have no memory of this kind of thing as being not a "big thing", I'm glad that "once-upon a time" is past. There are many examples of poor, abusive or out right cruel treatment of children and adults with neurological disorders (like autism), mental illness and emotional disorders in human history and it was no big deal. In our more "enlightened" era, we know better.

As for teachable, surely you don't mean that hitting a child is an acceptable method to teach an autistic child, or really, any child? He could have been instructed on the wrongness of his statement without touching him like this. I know autistic/learning disabled children/people as well. The idea of any of them being struck so as to cause a concussion in order to teach them anything is beyond the pale to me.

He's an adult. There is no damage being claimed by him. He only speaks to his being hit as the reason he hit the child. There is no reason good enough for an adult to hit a child, especially as violently as he did, unless it is to preserve life. It's abusive and it's assault.

The man was wrong. Yes, the child was behaving very badly, autistic or not. He made a racist remark then clearly punched the man in the face. However, the child should have been immediately removed from the lunchroom and taken to school authorities to be dealt with.

I feel kind of bad for the guy, because not too many people could reign in an automatic reaction to being punched in the face, and after 26 years on the job, it's a shame he lost control. If the kid's father, after seeing what his son did to provoke the punch, actually does sue him, I frankly hope the lawsuit fails. This guy already has a misdemeanor assault conviction on his record, has been forced to retire, and is now an internet punching bag himself. Enough, already.

Meself, I wonder why it took a year and a court order for the school to provide video to the father. That to me states this is not a first instance on school property.

Good luck with that!

Ya never know around here.

Back
Top Bottom