• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Who gets hit and doesn’t respond?’ Video shows school worker punching autistic boy a

Re: ‘Who gets hit and doesn’t respond?’ Video shows school worker punching autistic b

The article states he functions at a six year old level. Six year olds know not to say a lunch table is for whites only. Unless of course he learned that at home or his father is constantly making excuses for his behavior. Six year olds are very capable of acting like respectful children.

When a six year old hits someone, he's told not to do it and given something like a time-out. Also, "functioning at a six year old level" doesn't mean "exactly like a six year old child in all respects"; do some further research into autism.

The tenor of your remark sounded rather overblown to me.

!00% NOT an excuse for inappropriate behavior

Again, one tends not to get outraged when a six year old hits. One imposes some limited punishment that conveys the inappropriateness of it.

Re: ‘Who gets hit and doesn’t respond?’ Video shows school worker punching autistic b

When a six year old hits someone, he's told not to do it and given something like a time-out. Also, "functioning at a six year old level" doesn't mean "exactly like a six year old child in all respects"; do some further research into autism.

The tenor of your remark sounded rather overblown to me.

Again, one tends not to get outraged when a six year old hits. One imposes some limited punishment that conveys the inappropriateness of it.

Pardon for not being clear, my remark was geared toward his racist comment. Children with autism do have the capacity to learn right from wrong. I highly doubt he didn't know what he was saying. Again, he either learned that at home or his parents make excuses for his behavior because he has autism. I'm not defending the reactions of the staff, I'm disputing that the child doesn't know any better.

Good on you Bodi! Especially for the reason in bolded font. As adults we remember that children are just that and when one chooses as the teacher in this story, to be a paraprofessional, it should be foremost on his mind not to react with a punch to the head of a child. It is 100% his choice to work with kids like this and to blame the child for his actions is just ridiculous.

I actually can't believe that an adult would use the pathetic excuse that "he hit me first" against a little kid...

I'm not defending the staff person. I'm simply pointing out that a child with autism that functions at a six year old level is capable of and should behave appropriately. Spewing racist garbage is not appropriate behavior for a six year old.
Functional at 6 year old level doesn't tell us anything about how that child behaves, what other issues he has, etc. It does not mean his behavior is similar to the average six year old.

Children with autism do have the capacity to learn right from wrong. I highly doubt he didn't know what he was saying.

I'm disputing that the child doesn't know any better.

Spend a few hours for a few days with an autistic kid and I bet you would be singing a different tune...

I actually can't believe that an adult would use the pathetic excuse that "he hit me first" against a little kid...

Bang on! I can't add to that.

Spend a few hours for a few days with an autistic kid and I bet you would be singing a different tune...

:roll: I've spent plenty of time in the company of children with autism. My children are 8 and 10 and have lots of peers with autism. In addition the organization I work for employs adults with autism. I'm well versed in the difference between parents who encourage their children to live up to the expectations in which they are capable and those that use autism as an excuse for poor behavior.

:roll: I've spent plenty of time in the company of children with autism. My children are 8 and 10 and have lots of peers with autism. In addition the organization I work for employs adults with autism. I'm well versed in the difference between parents who encourage their children to live up to the expectations in which they are capable and those that use autism as an excuse for poor behavior.

Then you would know that autistic children don't differentiate "right from wrong" they just learn what they are allowed to do and what gives them a consequence. And autistic children in particular repeat inappropriate behaviour over and over. Ultimately you are focusing on the wrong thing. What this kid said or did is 100% irrelevant to the fact that the adult hit a child.

Your disabled son being it that way, really you think that's just a learning experience?

Autistic kids should be taught by adults punching them in the face out of anger at a teaching facility?

It's not two punk kids in a scuffle about who is out in a game of chase... that would be learning experience IMO.

Mm. My son is "high functional" autistic, not disabled. You could spend hours with him in circumstances where he feels comfortable and you'd never know he had any issues. His chief problem is dyslexia.

So let me admit my experience does not extend to raising a child with severe disabilities... as the article implies, but in a vague and subjective manner which leaves you uncertain how autistic the child is.

No, I don't support adult staff members punching students in the face. I must not have communicated clearly in my post for multiple people to be thinking I was "okay with it". I'm not.

BUT if that had been my child in the vid, one of the first things I'd have asked him would have been "What in the hell did you think you were doing, punching an adult male staff member in the face??"

Not only is it an extreme defiance of authority, it is also assault and could result in your child being in trouble with the law.... AND the practical real-world truth is the adult male just might hit you back, and he can probably hit a lot harder.

Just a bad idea in all ways.

NOT saying the staff member was ok, you understand. He wasn't.

He was wrong.

DONT PUNCH CHILDREN

THIS IS NOT HARD

Why do I have to say that

Which ones?

Well, up front, I'll point out I've no experience of Autism. Autistic kids can't comprehend right from wrong? They can't learn self-control?

Either that or not everyone's a 'moderate'. The guy has the wrong temperament for the job, clearly. Personally, I wouldn't have punched the kid, but if he was my own? Better get the kid a cushion.

It ought to be established whether or not the Autism component is even relevant, as opposed to using it as an emotional device.

Autistic children do not understand social cues for the most part and have major problems learning communication skills. It is more than possible being at about a 6 year old mindset, that the kid didn't actually know what he was saying was something offensive or completely socially wrong. He could have heard it somewhere and simply been repeating it. If any sort of threat of punishment was then made for his saying that, he could view that as an actual physical threat to him, depending on other circumstances, because he might not understand why he would be punished for saying something he heard someone else say.

The article states he functions at a six year old level. Six year olds know not to say a lunch table is for whites only. Unless of course he learned that at home or his father is constantly making excuses for his behavior. Six year olds are very capable of acting like respectful children.

Not necessarily a normal six year old though. Unless you have experience with autistic children it is hard to explain. My autistic son is six and can just about keep up with his kindergarten class (excels in math) when it comes to reading and comprehension, so he might be at about the right mindset for the most part. However, he also can say things that he has heard others say or that simply come to mind for him at random times. He can get very emotional or clingy just out of the blue. He refuses to allow anyone near his hair with scissors (he doesn't mind his grandmother cutting with the clippers though). But then there are plenty of times when he physically fights his brother just for trying to play with him.

DONT PUNCH CHILDREN

THIS IS NOT HARD

Why do I have to say that

I guess you chose to ignore the part where I said I'm defending the paraprofessional? What he did is absolutely unacceptable.

Not necessarily a normal six year old though. Unless you have experience with autistic children it is hard to explain. My autistic son is six and can just about keep up with his kindergarten class (excels in math) when it comes to reading and comprehension, so he might be at about the right mindset for the most part. However, he also can say things that he has heard others say or that simply come to mind for him at random times. He can get very emotional or clingy just out of the blue. He refuses to allow anyone near his hair with scissors (he doesn't mind his grandmother cutting with the clippers though). But then there are plenty of times when he physically fights his brother just for trying to play with him.

I appreciate your opinion as someone who has a child with autism. I am in no way defending the child being punched by an adult. However, the child's behavior was inappropriate as we'll and having autism is not an excuse in this situation.

Not really sure if it matters if the kid is 11, 6 or 17. He is a child and children say stupid things. The fact that he said a racist comment should be checked but I am not sure that equates to a seasoned 26 year professional coming in with a right cross. No room for that.

I appreciate your opinion as someone who has a child with autism. I am in no way defending the child being punched by an adult. However, the child's behavior was inappropriate as we'll and having autism is not an excuse in this situation.

If you don't look at why the child said what he allegedly did, then you are not taking into account all the facts. Assuming "he should know better" is unfair and irresponsible.

Children with autism can also be easily influenced by those around them if other children figure out their disadvantages when it comes to social skills. Another possibility in this scenario is that another student told the boy to say exactly those words to that teacher knowing the boy would and wouldn't know what he was saying but also knowing it would tick off the teacher.

It is possible the kid knew what he was saying was inappropriate, but it is just as likely at least that he didn't. and the wispering in the kids ear was likely inappropriate as well and could have been the trigger for the violent outburst. Someone who works with autistic children should know that doing something near an autistic child's head can cause a violent outburst in itself because most autistic children are very sensitive about physical contact near or around their head.

Last edited:

If you don't look at why the child said what he allegedly did, then you are not taking into account all the facts. Assuming "he should know better" is unfair and irresponsible.

Children with autism can also be easily influenced by those around them if other children figure out their disadvantages when it comes to social skills. Another possibility in this scenario is that another student told the boy to say exactly those words to that teacher knowing the boy would and wouldn't know what he was saying but also knowing it would tick off the teacher.

It is possible the kid knew what he was saying was inappropriate, but it is just as likely at least that he didn't. and the wispering in the kids ear was likely inappropriate as well and could have been the trigger for the violent outburst. Someone who works with autistic children should know that doing something near an autistic child's head can cause a violent outburst in itself because most autistic children are very sensitive about physical contact near or around their head.

All those scenarios are possible. Unfortunately, his behavior will probably never be addressed because everyone is focused on the behavior of the paraprofessional, which they should be. However, it does not excuse the child's behavior. We're going in circles here. Obviously most people feel that any behavior from a child with autism is excusable. I do not.

All those scenarios are possible. Unfortunately, his behavior will probably never be addressed because everyone is focused on the behavior of the paraprofessional, which they should be. However, it does not excuse the child's behavior. We're going in circles here. Obviously most people feel that any behavior from a child with autism is excusable. I do not.

No. On the contrary addressing the behavior is important. But it is something that has to be done with the child's mindset in mind. There is a difference between behavior that deserves punishment and behavior that deserves guidance against doing. The behavior seems to have been addressed inappropriately from the get go, especially after you take into account the child's most likely mindset. We have no idea what might have been done to address the comment by the parents in the past year or so but yes it will take a backseat to the much more serious behavior issue of the adult in the situation.

?Who gets hit and doesn?t respond?? Video shows school worker punching autistic boy after racial remark | National Post

Special needs (Autustic) age 11 at the time - mental capacity of a 6 year old - makes a racist comment to a Black paraprofessional - "this table is for white only" -from the link
I wonder if the kid's parents are racists- it sometimes shows since kids always copy their parents.

I wonder if the kid's parents are racists- it sometimes shows since kids always copy their parents.

Or learned from kids at school?

Autistic children do not understand social cues for the most part and have major problems learning communication skills. It is more than possible being at about a 6 year old mindset, that the kid didn't actually know what he was saying was something offensive or completely socially wrong.

I have a 5 year old and an 8 year old. Both of them know full well what happens immediately after they swing at an adult. I have a two almost-three year old, and she is starting to learn as well (though more gently).

My 8 year old, once, when he was six, punched his mother in the face over something stupid (I think he wanted a Gatorade and she wouldn't buy him one). We were in a public space, and so me and him went in the bathroom; he has never tried that ever again.

I get that a special needs child is more sympathetic a victim of adult abuse, and I'm not going to defend the teachers' reaction, but someone with a mind of a six year old is perfectly capable of understanding that striking out at adults is completely unacceptable.

Once when I was about 7 or so I called another kid the "N" word. I didn't really know what it meant - I'd read it in a book - I just knew it was something that could be used as a schoolyard insult. The immediate slap upside the head I received was a good enough education at the time as to roughly what it meant - something completely unacceptable, not at all like the other insults, as I thought it had been.

I have a 5 year old and an 8 year old. Both of them know full well what happens immediately after they swing at an adult. I have a two almost-three year old, and she is starting to learn as well (though more gently).

My 8 year old, once, when he was six, punched his mother in the face over something stupid (I think he wanted a Gatorade and she wouldn't buy him one). We were in a public space, and so me and him went in the bathroom; he has never tried that ever again.

I get that a special needs child is more sympathetic a victim of adult abuse, and I'm not going to defend the teachers' reaction, but someone with a mind of a six year old is perfectly capable of understanding that striking out at adults is completely unacceptable.

He could very well have felt that the worker was a threat to him, particularly after the person invaded his personal space in an area known to cause serious violent reactions for those with autism. Most are very sensitive about their heads. And they process information very differently from a normal thinking person. It simply isn't as simple as "you shouldn't hit". To them, it could be that they are experiencing a real fight or flight incident for something others would interpret as a simple whisper in the ear or scolding.

Tantrum-Free Haircut Parent Tips

"Autistic children often have a "fight or flight" response to sensation. This condition is called "sensory defensiveness" and may be diagnosed as a "sensory processing disorder." "

They may literally fear for their lives from certain sensory input, particularly if they just learned to speak and understand others, which is more than possible for an 11 year old who is about the mental age of a 6 year old.

Oh they do?

So my kids work hard, pay attention, take education seriously, brush their teeth at least 3 times a day, eat their dinner without me EVER having to tell them to?

Hah - yeah . . . WISHFUL THINKING.

So it means nothing to me. I've dealt with enough kids with special needs, learning disorders, and just plain old attitude problems to know that kids don't often reflect their parents at all.

He could very well have felt that the worker was a threat to him, particularly after the person invaded his personal space in an area known to cause serious violent reactions for those with autism. Most are very sensitive about their heads. And they process information very differently from a normal thinking person. It simply isn't as simple as "you shouldn't hit". To them, it could be that they are experiencing a real fight or flight incident for something others would interpret as a simple whisper in the ear or scolding.

Tantrum-Free Haircut Parent Tips

"Autistic children often have a "fight or flight" response to sensation. This condition is called "sensory defensiveness" and may be diagnosed as a "sensory processing disorder." "

They may literally fear for their lives from certain sensory input, particularly if they just learned to speak and understand others, which is more than possible for an 11 year old who is about the mental age of a 6 year old.

I understand that the kid is on the spectrum - my point is that, if he is indeed the mental age of a 6 year old, then his mental age is advanced enough to know not to strike out at adults. We do not benefit those with issues by taking from them moral agency.

Back
Top Bottom