• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘We’ve never really seen anything like this’: US suicide rates hit 50-year peak

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.rt.com/usa/445143-overdose-suicide-life-expectancy/

The US witnessed the most deaths in a single year, since official records began, in 2017, with suicide and drug overdose deaths soaring among an aging population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

It marks the third consecutive year life expectancy has dropped in the US, and the longest life expectancy decline trend since the late 1910s when WWI and the worst flu pandemic in modern history combined to kill approximately 675,000 Americans.

All told, the US recorded 2.8 million deaths in 2017, with middle-aged deaths making the biggest impact on life expectancy.
=============================================
I think this is one sad effect of Trumpism. More to come I'm afraid.

The US witnessed the most deaths in a single year, since official records began, in 2017, with suicide and drug overdose deaths soaring among an aging population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

It marks the third consecutive year life expectancy has dropped in the US, and the longest life expectancy decline trend since the late 1910s when WWI and the worst flu pandemic in modern history combined to kill approximately 675,000 Americans.

All told, the US recorded 2.8 million deaths in 2017, with middle-aged deaths making the biggest impact on life expectancy.

:roll: This is a years long trend. It didn't just suddenly spike with Trump. This is a problem that goes beyond politics.

This is what failure looks like.

It is going to get a lot worse.

The West is dying.

:roll: This is a years long trend. It didn't just suddenly spike with Trump. This is a problem that goes beyond politics.

Trumpism is not exactly lifting spirits.

RT posting out anti-American news and left left lapping it up while howling about collision :rofl:

If you dont understand how bad this is then you have failed.

An increase in suicides I understand is bad.

But "The West is dying." is just Hawkeye10 fail.

I won't mince words: I'm fully indifferent about one's deciding to commit suicide, thus about increases and decreases in suicide rates.

I ascribe to the principle that each of us is free to choose to what we see fit and that which one wills to do, one will do. The only difference with suicides is that one dies doing what one wills to do rather than dying in the course of trying to achieve an end.

If one wants to kill oneself and reaches out to me, I'm most likely, if I say anything at all, to give one insights on how to be successful at it.
  • Have you the resources needed to achieve your goal?
  • What do you need to obtain the resources you lack? What's your plan for obtaining them? Is that plan viable?
  • Do have an actionable mitigation plan in case the initial attempt doesn't work as intended?
That's just me; I'm "all about" setting goals and then achieving them. I won't tell someone what goals to set or not set.

Or the side effect of liberal / progressive drug policies. :mrgreen:

Don't be such a pessimist. Debby Downer

I live in a dark age that is getting worse, one that very few notice, because folks tend to be willfully stupid now....pessimism is the right call.

I live in a dark age that is getting worse, one that very few notice, because folks tend to be willfully stupid now....pessimism is the right call.

You just need more sunshine. :)

:roll:

Per your own link:

Increases have been prominent among the female population despite the fact that most people who die by suicide are still male. The female suicide rate rose by 53 percent between 1999 and 2017, with a 26 percent increase for men during the same period.

I hadn't realized that "Trumpism" has been around since 1999.

Seriously...pretty sure you couldn't have made a more partisan thread if you had tried. Sad part is...you don't try and still manage it.

When Russian life expectancy was dropping because of alcoholism after the collapse of the Soviet Union then we understood what that meant...we knew that we were looking at societal collapse.....we were looking at individuals voting with their lives, checking out, because they had lost hope in their society.

We have gotten more willfully stupid since then.

Now many blame Trump.

:2brickwal

Per your own link:

Seriously...pretty sure you couldn't have made a more partisan thread if you had tried. Sad part is...you don't try and still manage it.

EVERYTHING he posts is blamed on Trump. He's deranged.

Per your own link:

Trumpism isn't helping the situation.

If I wanted to off myself I would pick the way Fred Astaire went in 'On the Beach.'

Trumpism isn't helping the situation.

If I wanted to off myself I would pick the way Fred Astaire went in 'On the Beach.'

If you want to go down that road then let me just say that TDS isn't helping either.

Of course there's many reasons why there's more people addicted to opioids in this country than ever before but there's another factor in this 'suicide' rate. It's a fact that the drugs we're seeing today are nothing like the drugs we ever seen in past years.

America's drug culture goes back to the Civil War. There was a drug outbreak after the Civil War when soldiers and others became addicted to a new pharmaceutical called morphine, one of the first of many man-made opioids. There was another in the early 1900s after a different drug was developed to help "cure" morphine addiction. It was called heroin. Then, cocaine was also developed by drug makers and sold to help morphine addiction. Over the next century, abuse outbreaks of cocaine, heroin, and other drugs like methamphetamine, marketed as a diet drug, would emerge and then fall back. Most U.S. drug epidemics over the past two centuries were sparked by pharmaceutical companies and physicians pushing products that gradually proved to be addictive and dangerous. Like the doctor who sits in prison today that ran a pain clinic where he prescribed over 800,000 opioids to his 'patients' in a single year. It makes sense, the more opioids a doctor prescribes will lead to more drug addicts.

Then came drugs like Fentanyl which is 50 times stronger than heroin and the drug just approved by the FDA which is 1,000 times more powerful than Fentanyl. Even street heroin is much more powerful today than in the past when street heroin was never pure. Today, it's much purer than what drug addicts injected into their veins in past decades because it's abundant. Then there's always a question as to what drug dealers are cutting their heroin with. Since that's always questionable and can vary according to the source, people often don't know how much drug they're injecting and it may have very dire consequences.

Of course there's many reasons why there's more people addicted to opioids in this country than ever before but there's another factor in this 'suicide' rate. It's a fact that the drugs we're seeing today are nothing like the drugs we ever seen in past years.

America's drug culture goes back to the Civil War. There was a drug outbreak after the Civil War when soldiers and others became addicted to a new pharmaceutical called morphine, one of the first of many man-made opioids. There was another in the early 1900s after a different drug was developed to help "cure" morphine addiction. It was called heroin. Then, cocaine was also developed by drug makers and sold to help morphine addiction. Over the next century, abuse outbreaks of cocaine, heroin, and other drugs like methamphetamine, marketed as a diet drug, would emerge and then fall back. Most U.S. drug epidemics over the past two centuries were sparked by pharmaceutical companies and physicians pushing products that gradually proved to be addictive and dangerous. Like the doctor who sits in prison today that ran a pain clinic where he prescribed over 800,000 opioids to his 'patients' in a single year. It makes sense, the more opioids a doctor prescribes will lead to more drug addicts.

Then came drugs like Fentanyl which is 50 times stronger than heroin and the drug just approved by the FDA which is 1,000 times more powerful than Fentanyl. Even street heroin is much more powerful today than in the past when street heroin was never pure. Today, it's much purer than what drug addicts injected into their veins in past decades because it's abundant. Then there's always a question as to what drug dealers are cutting their heroin with. Since that's always questionable and can vary according to the source, people often don't know how much drug they're injecting and it may have very dire consequences.

Both morphine & cocaine are natural products. The only 'man made' component of them is in their extraction from natural plant source.

EVERYTHING he posts is blamed on Trump. He's deranged.

Everything I keep seeing point to Trump being a much bigger crook than Richard Nixon. And a habitual liar. I submit that the deranged among us are the people who idolize him.

Everything I keep seeing point to Trump being a much bigger crook than Richard Nixon. And a habitual liar. I submit that the deranged among us are the people who idolize him.

Trump brags about how crooked he is. He boasts about cheating people.

Trump brags about how crooked he is. He boasts about cheating people.

He repeatedly crowed before & during the campaign that he had no business or financial connections with Russia. Now Cohen spills the beans that he was hip deep in getting a Trump Tower in Moscow + giving his pal V. Putin the $50M penthouse. Now who has TDS?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...ies-chart-flynn-page-manafort-sessions-214868
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/29/mic...-russia-could-imperil-trump-with-mueller.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-trump-michael-cohen-russia-facts/2149022002/
https://www.politico.com/trump-russia-ties-scandal-guide/timeline-of-events
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...-team-lies-russia-contacts-column/2154102002/

Putin wanted Trump to be President & he made it happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom