• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘We’ve got to stop fooling ourselves’: Enthusiasm gap keeps getting worse for Dems

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The last time the voter enthusiasm deficit was this wide, Democrats lost more than 60 seats in the House.

--

I do indeed believe the Dems will lose the house, and I'm going to cite a component that I believe is a prime aspect.

My point is quite simple: There is no Boogeyman to motivate the Dems!

Today we seem to vote against the other guys, rather than vote for our guys. It's easy to be unhappy with and criticize those running the place, than it is to actually run the place with your guys.

--

Well, that's my take on it. It's not an all inclusive rationale, but I believe it is a prime component.

--

I do indeed believe the Dems will lose the house, and I'm going to cite a component that I believe is a prime aspect.

Today we seem to vote against the other guys, rather than vote for our guys. It's easy to be unhappy with and criticize those running the place, than it is to actually run the place with your guys.

--

Well, that's my take on it. It's not an all inclusive rationale, but I believe it is a prime component.

I find it weird that it seems there's a lot of focus on this like it would be something new, not saying YOU just saying in general lots of articles and lots of talk (from righties) that its going to be doomsday for the left
the party in charge losing the midterms has been pretty standard my whole life . . . .

now maybe this will be an average loss, maybe it will be above avg since Donnie lost so bad but I really dont see it as something new and so worthy of focus

I DO wish the pendulum didnt swing as much in politics, thats for sure but I dont see this as a concern other than congress will go into a regression (we the people will be heard even less) which is typically always an issue

--

--

The House Dems and the Biden pukes are trying real hard to create a boogeyman with all that Jan 6 nonsense.

But yeah...I don't think that will work for them, either.

--

--

The boogieman should be the Taliban scum that the Republican Party has become. But I'm afraid they will be successful in there voter suppression tactics so it won't matter. plus they have the hack court that will do their bidding and allow them to get away with it

The House Dems and the Biden pukes are trying real hard to create a boogeyman with all that Jan 6 nonsense.

But yeah...I don't think that will work for them, either.
The dilemma for them is the real bogeyman is the increase in gas prices, but by identifying that as something that needs to be fixed it hinders their drive towards a green energy model.

The “We aren’t Trump” routine has lost its appeal to anyone not already a Democratic Party shoo-in. The stopping the virus platform turned into a higher death rate and letting it run it’s course. The bringing stability and peace to the world was thrown out on a botched withdrawal and potentially escalating conflict in Ukraine. Spending so much time trying to convince people inflation wasn’t happening or that it wasn’t going to be that bad did Democrats no favors. The party is a hot mess with each faction trying to push their ideas as the unifying position without success. The simple question of are you better off today than you were two years ago for most people is no. Even if the will fight tooth and nail to not admit it

"Why aren't our voters enthusiastic" wonders party who runs on liberalism and then governs on center-right oligarchic status quo garbage.

death, taxes and flip flopping of power.

The “We aren’t Trump” routine has lost its appeal to anyone not already a Democratic Party shoo-in. The stopping the virus platform turned into a higher death rate and letting it run it’s course. The bringing stability and peace to the world was thrown out on a botched withdrawal and potentially escalating conflict in Ukraine. Spending so much time trying to convince people inflation wasn’t happening or that it wasn’t going to be that bad did Democrats no favors. The party is a hot mess with each faction trying to push their ideas as the unifying position without success. The simple question of are you better off today than you were two years ago for most people is no. Even if the will fight tooth and nail to not admit it
We're not better off today than two years ago because our government hasn't done anything to change that, and it's idiotic to only blame Democrats for this. It's not like Republicans are trying to do anything useful right now.

I live for the day the D's and R's implode themselves and vaporize, which will massively decrease the useless partisan battles that set America onto 2 and 4 year opposing-legislation cycles. Parties would be fine of they were citizen-centric instead of self-centered like little rich-kids. Until this happens (eventually it has to), we will keep getting the hacks and mindless lesser-of-two-evils that have been training us to be petty bickering propagandists.

Reactions: AJG
We're not better off today than two years ago because our government hasn't done anything to change that, and it's idiotic to only blame Democrats for this. It's not like Republicans are trying to do anything useful right now.
Don’t vote for an incumbent this year and make change happen

--

--

There could be one large boogeyman ....... can we say COVID 19 and the variants and over 1 million have died. Did not have to be this way. The GOP has been negligent going on a few years.

WE have a major voter suppression problem which is a boogeyman and maybe a boogeylady...

A GOP boogeyman surfaced quite recently like the GOP will not vote more money to keep COVID 19 in check.....if it is in fact in check. We just had an acquaintance diagnosed with COVID 19 yesterday. The GOP is willing to throw millions under the bus.

Overthrowing the USA gov't on January 6th is not small matter.......with Justice and Ginny Thomas in the mix now.

Deregulating the USA is truly dangerous ....... on many different fronts.

There are more ..............

Are you going to vote for any Republicans this year?
I will most likely vote 3rd party as my congressman is a lock, he isn’t a horrible representative and not as embarrassingly others. He has just been there for almost 30 years time for him to go. Same for my state delegate. People sending the same folks back year after year wondering why it doesn’t change it on major area our system is broke

Time to set term limits by we the voters. Everybody's rep cannot be fantastic. Term limits by the voters at the ballot box. STOP voting for the big spenders ....... they are in debt to the sources that don't give a damn about 99% of the people.

How about the nation being prosecuting voting suppression groups STAT!

We are facing growing societal problems in health care, education, labor, energy and the environment. These are problems for which active citizens have solutions, yet their voices are not carrying across the democracy gap.

Citizen groups and individual thinkers have generated a tremendous capital of ideas, information, and solutions to the point of surplus, while OUR government has been drawn away from us by a corporate government. Our political leadership has been hijacked.

Citizen advocates have no other choice but to close the democracy gap by direct political means. Only effective national political leadership will restore the responsiveness of government to its citizenry. Truly progressive political movements do not just produce good results; they enable a flowering of progressive citizen movements to advance the quality of our neighborhoods and communities outside of politics.

Current politics, in which incumbents and candidates daily extol their own inflated virtues, paint complex issues with trivial brush strokes, and propose plans quickly generated by campaign consultants.

The systemic political decay that has weakened our democracy kinda makes one feel like vomiting.

WE can no longer watch people dedicate themselves to improving their country while their government leaders turn their backs, or worse, actively block fair treatment for citizens. It is necessary to launch a sustained effort to wrest control of our democracy from the corporate government and restore it to the political government under the control of citizens.

This campaign will challenge all Americans who are concerned with systemic imbalances of power and the undermining of our democracy, whether they consider themselves progressives, liberals, conservatives, or others.

Presidential elections should be a time for deep discussions among the citizenry regarding the down-to-earth problems and injustices that are not addressed because of the gross power mismatch between the narrow vested interests and the public or common good.

The unconstrained behavior of big business is subordinating our democracy to the control of a corporate plutocracy that knows few self-imposed limits to the spread of its power to all sectors of our society.

Moving on all fronts to advance narrow profit motives at the expense of civic values, large corporate lobbies and their law firms have produced a commanding multi-faceted and powerful juggernaut:

They flood public elections with cash, and they use their media conglomerates to exclude, divert, or propagandize.

They brandish their willingness to close factories here and open them abroad if workers do not bend to their demands.

By their control in Congress, they keep the federal cops off the corporate crime, fraud, and abuse beats,

They imperiously demand and get a wide array of privileges and immunities: tax escapes, enormous corporate welfare subsidies, federal giveaways, and bailouts. They weaken the common law of torts in order to avoid their responsibility for injurious wrongdoing to innocent children, women and men.

Food for thought:

A vote for a GOP candidate is a vote for the big boogeyman ALEC.

--

--

Your guys are certainly trying to create bogeymen out of January 6th - virtually the entire Republican party.

death, taxes and flip flopping of power.

it's probably by design. Democrat says they are for things that their base wants, but they never have full control and they have blue dogs that block them getting it passed even when they do have both houses and presidency. Republicans will rarely vote with Dems, if at all. Then Republicans get power, they do nothing but reduce taxes on the rich and make it easier for them to make even more wealth. And pass garbage they know will never fly or stand in the courts to appease their base of hatemongers. And meanwhile both sides are making bank and appeasing their wealthy donors

Uh. You control the House, the Senate and the White House. Not that you won't try, but hard to lay the blame on the Republicans for any of the mess your guys have created,

Uh. You control the House, the Senate and the White House. Not that you won't try, but hard to lay the blame on the Republicans for any of the mess your guys have created,
Are you admitting you read my post and actually interpreted it as "you should only blame Republicans?"

Your guys tried to overthrow an election by force so you know what I'm not gonna let it go.
Of course you won't. You're going to try and scare the hell of voters claiming this guy is going to the Speaker of the House if the REpubs win.

1648759177399.png

And the voter is going tell you "Dude it's costing me $100 to fill up my Toyota, I don't give rat's ass about January 6th."

Of course you won't. You're going to try and scare the hell of voters claiming this guy is going to the Speaker of the House if the REpubs win.

View attachment 67383232
LOL no, that is not an argument I am making.

And the voter is going tell you "Dude it's costing me $100 to fill up my Toyota, I don't give rat's ass about January 6th."
"We should ignore an attack on our democracy so that we can get cheaper gas" yeah that sounds like a real American.

Are you admitting you read my post and actually interpreted it as "you should only blame Republicans?"
LOL Other than Putin who do you think your guys are going to blame? The demented simp in the White House? Nancy? AOC?

LOL no, that is not an argument I am making.

"We should ignore an attack on our democracy so that we can get cheaper gas" yeah that sounds like a real American.

Too funny. You don't see the irony in your two sentences, do you?

Back
Top Bottom