• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘We’ve got to stop fooling ourselves’: Enthusiasm gap keeps getting worse for Dems

Wife and I go to lunch after we vote, make it a date.

So, the act of voting precipitates a romantic event?

It would seem you are in the right type of forum, buddy! :p

For presidential elections we generally host an election party. Oddly enough for the majority of those parties politics is the least discussed topic

Back in the old neighborhood, I used to go the ward office parties, along with a stop or two at a candidate's, union's, or other organization's event.

Now, no more. I just watch at home with whoever's around, and hang-out in the DP live thread. It's better in some ways, in terms of hard-core data gathering. I have far better focus.

But I admit having some like-minded friends over the house sounds like fun. I have no idea why I never thought of it. I suppose because for so much of my life, literally from my childhood, politics was a local group activity, and after doing the day's politicking we gathered together as a group in a public place; going home meant the night was over!

Your point is simple, but it's also wrong. The entire Republican Party is the Boogeyman. That's why the vast majority of the Republican cowards in Congress won't even admit that Biden won the 2020 election. That's why 147 of these Republican fascists voted to overturn Biden's victory on Jan 6.

The voter suppression laws that are being passed in certain states like TX, GA, and AZ are basically going to guarantee that the Republicans never lose control of Congress again. And after 2024, they will probably never lose the White House again. And then we are doomed as a country.

I'm not sure the average rank & file Democrats feel as strongly about generic 'Republicans', as they do about Trump.

Yeah, the Democrats lifting over 3 million children out of poverty with the Covid relief bill is not a good reason to vote for them.

The Democrats' infrastructure bill is not a good reason to vote for them.

The Democrats' BBB bill is not a good reason to vote for them.

The Democrats' voting rights bills are not a good reason to vote for them.

It's not the Democrats' fault that the Republicans can't behave like responsible adults. You shouldn't normalize the Republicans' obstructionist behavior and let them off the hook.

It's more than enough reason for me to vote for him, but I suspect many Democrats, particularly progressive Democrats, believe he's fallen substantially short of the accomplishments they would like to see.

It has certainly become that way. It also isn't just a one sided thing but the Republicans seem to be a tad better at getting some of their agenda passed that messages well with the people. The Democrats also get some of their agendas passed but their message is terrible.

Absolutely!

Surely with the highly intelligent people running for office or working for those running for office should be able to figure this out? Maybe it's a problem inherent in the party itself (age? Next up mentality?)

I do think priorities for a lot of Democrats is out of whack, assuming this board is a fair representation. It is the ECONOMY, it will always be the ECONOMY. If that means you have to stop or postpone or put on the back burner discussion of what you FEEL about Jan 6th, or Trump in general then that is what you should do, BUT DON'T and that is why you've lost the center.

Generally speaking, I do believe the bolded is accurate.

Though I think this varies a bit with Dems, particularly with younger and more progressive Dems.

In addition, I believe '20 was an exception. Fear (via Trump) was the prime Dem motivator, eclipsing all else.

And meanwhile both sides are making bank and appeasing their wealthy donors

That's a heck of a false equivalency. It's like saying that the Russian and Ukrainian armies are both appeasing their warmonger leaders.

I'm not sure the average rank & file Democrats feel as strongly about generic 'Republicans', as they do about Trump.
Many Democrats obviously don't feel that way, but that is their egregious mistake.

The German Weimar Republic didn't think that Hitler and the Nazi Party would end German democracy. But they did.

--

I do indeed believe the Dems will lose the house, and I'm going to cite a component that I believe is a prime aspect.

My point is quite simple: There is no Boogeyman to motivate the Dems!

Today we seem to vote against the other guys, rather than vote for our guys. It's easy to be unhappy with and criticize those running the place, than it is to actually run the place with your guys.

--

Well, that's my take on it. It's not an all inclusive rationale, but I believe it is a prime component.
The dems are stuck between the millennials and the older mainstream democrats and Biden is having trouble navigating between those two camps.

Your guys are certainly trying to create bogeymen out of January 6th - virtually the entire Republican party.
Well that is because it is the truth ........ which anti American Right Wing Nut is not a boogey man or woman?

Well that is because it is the truth ........ which anti American Right Wing Nut is not a boogey man or woman?
I feel rather flattered that my very existence scares the crap out of you.

Back
Top Bottom