• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘tis the Season

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Humidity is lowering, sinus passages and noses are drying. What remedies do you use if any? A little Vick’s Vaporub will lubricate and moisten, but usually set off sneezing fits........bless you!

Years and years of scar tissue build up from all the bloody noses I got as a kid from this weather.

Meh...

I do allright. Though when I go outside the cold, my nose starts running and my eyes start spurting out tears. I suspect one day a cop will pull up to make sure I'm OK when I'm out for a run...

We dont have much of an issue unless we get a cold snap that lasts a week or more, the house is poorly constructed enough that outside humidity comes inside, plus I have a high efficiency furnace that dries less than the old one I had. With the old furnace I would run a humidifier at least while the Christmas tree was up, so that it would not try out quickly. Once or twice a year I boil water on the stove.

We have been cold lately with no rain, but it is raining today....I am at 48%.

Humidity is lowering, sinus passages and noses are drying. What remedies do you use if any? A little Vick’s Vaporub will lubricate and moisten, but usually set off sneezing fits........bless you!

I tend to use a prophylactic rather than reactive approach to seasonal respiratory ailments like colds/flus.
  • Flu shot
  • I stay away from school age children.
  • I keep handy and use hand sanitizer.
  • Immune system boosters (Echinacea, vitamins C & D, elderberry, ginger, ginseng, myrrh, colloidal silver (in spurts), astragalus, and fresh oregano)

If I expect to be around kids and/or their parents, or when I get a cold, I take:
  • Gelsemium
  • Oscillococcinum
  • Combo: Calcarea Carbonica 30-1 dose, Phosphorus - 1 dose,Lycopodium 30-1 dose
  • Combo: Lycopodium 30, Sabadilla 30
  • Chicken soup

I have only anecdotal evidence regarding the effectiveness of my anti-cold/-flu regimen: I haven't gotten a cold or the flu in over five years. Basically, that period corresponds to my having only one child who associates with routinely others who are rather more careless about eschewing "sick people" than are kids.

I'm pleased with my regimen because too, it means I haven't been unable to associate with my nonagenarian mother. She cannot receive the flu vaccine, and given her age, it's important that I and others not expose her unnecessarily to colds and flus. My family hews strictly to the "rule" that if one's contagiously ill, don't come to family events (T-giving, Xmas, N-Years and other dinners/parties) the "old folks" (Momma, Dad (when he was alive), and their siblings) have chosen to attend, and one also doesn't visit the "old folks" when one is ill with something contagious.

Single malt scotch

Living in Colorado, I really don't have that problem. The humidity is pretty darned low here all year around and I've lived here for more than 25 years, so I'm pretty much used to it.

What I have more of a problem with in the winter is chapped skin. That's a result of the cold wind. Lotion helps.

It's so nice to finally open the windows and have a cool breeze at night.

Single malt scotch

You like “peaty?”

SMS is one whiskey that is to be sipped and only a few drams at a sitting....

It's so nice to finally open the windows and have a cool breeze at night.

.......and all the tourists have left, you can get a table if the restaurant is still open....

Back
Top Bottom