• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘The sound of money’: Wind energy is booming in deep-red Republican states

Windmills couldn’t compete without a very long list of incentives and subsidies. They are all the rage for now but are really very old technology disguised as the latest greatest thing. They will be a blip in energy history before a real alternative to fossil fuels is found and will be torn down as obsolete eyesores from days gone by.

The US is capable of providing the land needed for wind, solar and natural gas to meet 2050 carbon-neutral goals, incl the land necessary to support that scenario of energy production. Most science supports that such a system is much less damaging in terms of CO2 release than petroleum. Plus, it is better for national security that the US frees itself on oil dependency.

With all solution there are problems, trade-offs. We should continue towards wind/solar goals where private enterprise is willing to take us. It's practicable.
Two problems with that.

First, "Petroleum" is a little used power generation that is probably as dirty as coal.

Second, it's very difficult to keep the power steady with more and more chaotic power added. Natural gas does cycle up fast enough, so the more renewables you have, the more rolling blackouts you will have.

It takes time to heat the boilers up. Hydropower takes very little time to change the flow of water through the turbines.

There is no Utopia... Your Unicorn is lying to you.

The US is capable of providing the land needed for wind, solar and natural gas to meet 2050 carbon-neutral goals, incl the land necessary to support that scenario of energy production. Most science supports that such a system is much less damaging in terms of CO2 release than petroleum. Plus, it is better for national security that the US frees itself on oil dependency.

With all solution there are problems, trade-offs. We should continue towards wind/solar goals where private enterprise is willing to take us. It's practicable.
Even if wind and solar could replace all fossil fuel plants and somehow provide energy when the sun doesn’t shine and the wind doesn’t blow you would need solar and wind farms from horizon to horizon. Doesn’t sound appealing to me.

Some results are favored, some are hard to find.

Am I to assume you take the first easy results found?

I agree with your analysis that search engines just turn up the same thing so often. I take what facts I find as being all I can get at the time. If someone I'm debating can't provide more significant fact, then I would have the advantage in supporting my position in debate.

If I at first easily find facts to support my position, I take them as fact and use them accordingly.

I agree with your analysis that search engines just turn up the same thing so often. I take what facts I find as being all I can get at the time. If someone I'm debating can't provide more significant fact, then I would have the advantage in supporting my position in debate.

If I at first easily find facts to support my position, I take them as fact and use them accordingly.
That's right. Go with the masses. Just remember the "m" is usually silent.

Yup, the only way for wind to even come close to matching the output of fossil fuels is to blanket every available land space on Earth with wind farms, and even then it would not be enough.

So in your mind the technology is done and that’s as good as it will get?

Unless there's some sort of technological miracle thats invented and can generate a huge amount of energy from a slight gust of wind, this tech is a dead end, and we're better off doing something else.

We shouldn't use an alternate power source because a sufficiently strong storm can damage it?

The denier swill keeps getting dumber and dumberer.

You need to understand the mentality. Not one of these people has the training or experience required to understand what they're on about. Not one of them has so much as attempted to get a paper published in a peer-reviewed journals. They're actively avoiding the arenas in which science is done and instead trolling anonymous people online.

Motives are often partisan. That is at least how denierism started. The GOP was already starting to tilt toward power for power's sake and Democrats started listening to the consensus first. So they had to be opposed.

Others? Others have a psychological need to feel like they are the bearers of special knowledge, like the ostracized old dude in a shack in the movie who knows the *real truth* and is thus excluded by the powers that be.

Others just troll and this topic is as good as any to do it with.

I think wind can be a good supplement for Solar, but I think in the long run it will not be economically viable.
We will just have to see, if the higher maintenance cost, and lower capacity factor are enough to justify the costs.

Are you saying Trump was lying about wind turbine cancer? Maybe Obama hid his real secret birth certificate and the real results of the 2020 election in one of those things. You never know with those evil liberals.

Unless there's some sort of technological miracle thats invented and can generate a huge amount of energy from a slight gust of wind, this tech is a dead end, and we're better off doing something else.

Most technologically and economically developed countries have shown that it does work just fine. They even sometimes end up PAYING their customers to use electricity because they are generating more than they can use. I am sure even socially and technologically stagnant and backwards countries like the United States will eventually get up to speed following their lead.

Most technologically and economically developed countries have shown that it does work just fine. They even sometimes end up PAYING their customers to use electricity because they are generating more than they can use. I am sure even socially and technologically stagnant and backwards countries like the United States will eventually get up to speed following their lead.

An article from 2016? Are you ****ing kidding me? Take your bullshit elsewhere.

Here is what's happening in Germany now.

An article from 2016? Are you ****ing kidding me? Take your bullshit elsewhere.

Here is what's happening in Germany now.

The transition is happening- more quickly than you think. As you keep a lead weight around America's ankles, most of the world is leaving us behind. Gee thanks!

Are you saying Trump was lying about wind turbine cancer? Maybe Obama hid his real secret birth certificate and the real results of the 2020 election in one of those things. You never know with those evil liberals.
what are you talking about, big wind turbines have a lot of maintenance costs, and only produce a portion of their
faceplate capacity. I suspect that any benefit from filling in the solar duty cycle, will be negated with viable energy storage.

Reactions: PoS
what are you talking about, big wind turbines have a lot of maintenance costs, and only produce a portion of their
faceplate capacity. I suspect that any benefit from filling in the solar duty cycle, will be negated with viable energy storage.
Situation normal.

The left pushes an agenda, then when it costs morte than promised, they will find a way to blame the right.

Wind and solar aren't free, no but coal for example is expensive to mine and process and transport and then you burn it and its gone. You have to mine and process and transport more and more and keep doing it forever.
Storage is still developing but the technology is advancing exponentially. Remember the first cell phone you saw? You needed a holster to carry the battery. Not too long ago a battery the size of a dime was science fiction. Lots of really smart people are working on the battery/storage problem and I'm convinced we're living in the last days of burning stuff to make energy.

The transition is happening- more quickly than you think. As you keep a lead weight around America's ankles, most of the world is leaving us behind. Gee thanks!

And aliens will land on Earth next year. Quit your moronic fantasies and stick to reality.

Just watch what happens to electicity prices in the future when wind and solar become much more prominent.
Tidal too, dont forget tidal, and hydro.
You seem to think that mining and processing and transporting something and then burning it up so you have to keep mining and processing and transporting more again and again forever is the best we can do. You're being proven wrong as we speak.

And aliens will land on Earth next year. Quit your moronic fantasies and stick to reality.
Not sure what you mean. It’s already happening. Those who adapt, as always, will win. Those who stay behind, as always, will stagnate and lose.

Not sure what you mean. It’s already happening. Those who adapt, as always, will win. Those who stay behind, as always, will stagnate and lose.

Your silly link has about enough credibility as this one:

Wind and solar aren't free, no but coal for example is expensive to mine and process and transport and then you burn it and its gone. You have to mine and process and transport more and more and keep doing it forever.
Storage is still developing but the technology is advancing exponentially. Remember the first cell phone you saw? You needed a holster to carry the battery. Not too long ago a battery the size of a dime was science fiction. Lots of really smart people are working on the battery/storage problem and I'm convinced we're living in the last days of burning stuff to make energy.
It comes down to how much does each kWh of electricity cost to produce.
Coal does have a bad logistic tail, but it is cheap, and very reliable.
Wind and Solar have several costs, the up front cost, the land leasing cost, and the maintenance costs,
these have to be prorated into every kWh generated, just like the cost of every ton of coal burned.
The problem is that with wind and solar, the electricity may or may not be available when demanded.
With the coal plant, as long as you have a supply of coal, electricity can be generated to match the demand,
up to the capacity of the powerplant.
Technological advances are a double edge sword, they may improve the viability of wind, but the same improvement
may enable more efficient traditional power plants.
A battery broadly defined as an energy storage device, may not take the form of a closed chemical cycle battery.
I think storing energy as hydrocarbon fuel, may be a better sustainable appraoch.

Tidal too, dont forget tidal, and hydro.
You seem to think that mining and processing and transporting something and then burning it up so you have to keep mining and processing and transporting more again and again forever is the best we can do. You're being proven wrong as we speak.
Speaking of tidal, I was up at work this morning, and my building overlooks an NRG facility,
normally they have big turbine blades ready to ship, industrial generators, ect, but they had
what looked like an enormous ship propeller in staging, and to my knowledge, they only do power generation.

With respect:

Probably the only way most Americans will adopt renewable energy is if it's cheap, easy, profitable, "cool," and performs better.

It's time to learn how to accept and adapt to our collective fate.

Back
Top Bottom