• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘The Bullet Box’ Is an Option If the Ballot Box Fails, Says Gun-Rights Advocate

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
‘Bullet Box’ an Option, Says Gun-Rights Advocate -- NYMag

“All Second Amendment enthusiasts are not the same. There are those who strongly believe in the right to bear arms for purposes of self-protection against criminals and for hunting and other sports usages. And then there are those who believe the ultimate purpose of the Second Amendment is to keep revolutionary violence on the table as a fallback plan if in their view "essential rights" are threatened, including gun rights themselves.

You can pretty clearly put many members of the Gun Owners of America, a group that considers the NRA a bunch of accomodationist squishes, in the latter category…………… While Pratt's term "bullet box" is attracting attention, this is a very old sentiment not just among gun enthusiasts but in broad swaths of movement conservatism. Recent proclamations in favor of the right to overthrow the government as essential to the maintenance of constitutional order have come from 2016 presidential candidates Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee…………….. For the present, it's enough for Pratt to remind the rest of us that his tolerance for democracy and judicial supremacy has its limits, and if pushed too far, the "bullet box" is ever-ready.

The whole world is upside down and the screwballs and gun nuts are out of control…………As I have so often said…………”Ignorance is a decision.” And may GHUA

That is, indeed, what the 2nd Amendment was written for. If the government becomes tyrannical-- if it begins infringing upon our essential liberties-- we have the right to overthrow it and the 2nd Amendment guarantees that we will have the means.

“All Second Amendment enthusiasts are not the same. There are those who strongly believe in the right to bear arms for purposes of self-protection against criminals and for hunting and other sports usages. And then there are those who believe the ultimate purpose of the Second Amendment is to keep revolutionary violence on the table as a fallback plan if in their view "essential rights" are threatened, including gun rights themselves.

You can pretty clearly put many members of the Gun Owners of America, a group that considers the NRA a bunch of accomodationist squishes, in the latter category…………… While Pratt's term "bullet box" is attracting attention, this is a very old sentiment not just among gun enthusiasts but in broad swaths of movement conservatism. Recent proclamations in favor of the right to overthrow the government as essential to the maintenance of constitutional order have come from 2016 presidential candidates Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee…………….. For the present, it's enough for Pratt to remind the rest of us that his tolerance for democracy and judicial supremacy has its limits, and if pushed too far, the "bullet box" is ever-ready.

The whole world is upside down and the screwballs and gun nuts are out of control…………As I have so often said…………”Ignorance is a decision.” And may GHUA

It's an interesting take on the 2nd Amendment, isn't it? Citizens are allowed arms only to protect against other private citizens, you think?

That is, indeed, what the 2nd Amendment was written for. If the government becomes tyrannical-- if it begins infringing upon our essential liberties-- we have the right to overthrow it and the 2nd Amendment guarantees that we will have the means.

I tend to think that is right on.

Have you ever even read the Constitution, or taken a cursory glance at the writings of the founding fathers? Obviously not.

I don't belong to this organization, but as a scholar of American history I am not of "two-minds" on the ultimate purpose behind the Second Amendment. It was to guarantee citizens the option of exercising that famous segment of the Declaration of Independence:

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

People like the OP dismiss this possibility, always arguing that citizens would have to be crazy to think any armed rebellion could ever succeed against the might of the U.S. Army.

Strangely, that argument is an echo of the same argument used by both Tories and neutral colonials before and during the Revolution. After all, Great Britain was the pre-eminent military power in the world at that time. Had the revolutionaries bought into this argument, our nation would not exist today.

Still, it does not matter if a revolt fails. The right to keep and bear arms does not guarantee success any more than it did at the time the Declaration was written. It merely provides access to the wherewithal to TRY, rather than continue meekly submitting.

As I said, I've never heard of this organization. Yet I know that as long as I have the right to keep and bear arms, I have the final say as to whether or not I wish to continue to accept my current form of government.

Supporting "bullet-box" ideology is not "insane," it is a matter of rational practicality. :coffeepap:

Last edited:
Things would have to get REALLY bad for Americans to ever resort to the bullet box but that is exactly what the 2nd Amendment was added for. But frankly, Americans, even armed ones, are way too comfortable to revolt. As long as their rights are eroded incrementally and as long as they have distractions, talk of armed revolution will remain just that. Talk.

Religion used to be the "opiate of the masses." Now it is Netflix and Big Macs.

Things would have to get REALLY bad for Americans to ever resort to the bullet box but that is exactly what the 2nd Amendment was added for. But frankly, Americans, even armed ones, are way too comfortable to revolt. As long as their rights are eroded incrementally and as long as they have distractions, talk of armed revolution will remain just that. Talk.

Religion used to be the "opiate of the masses." Now it is Netflix and Big Macs.

Your statement applies to the majority of the population in any society.

However, it does not take a majority to start, or win, a revolution.

The majority of colonial Americans were either opposed to rebellion, or neutral towards it, giving no support.

Out nation is fairly large, I doubt it would ALL rise up as one. Still, we are becoming somewhat balkanized and it is possible the sub-segments would try to secede in some not-too-distant future.

Yeah man I hear you, how dare people try to go by what the 2nd amendment is there for should peaceful means fail.(sarcasm)

Last edited:
It's an interesting take on the 2nd Amendment, isn't it? Citizens are allowed arms only to protect against other private citizens, you think?

No I think if folks think the 2A was included in the Bill of Rights allowing revolution to take down the legally elected government just because yall don't like the government are @$$holes who deserve long sentences in jail if they try that kind of BS

Yeah man I hear you, how dare people try to go by what the 2nd amendment is there for should peaceful means fail.(sarcasm)

Why can't you say what you mean rather than hiding behind sarcasm?

Learn how to read for meaning

LOL-I can read the word conservative and note that it has no relevance to the posts you make. Do you think that revolution can never be justified?

Why can't you say what you mean rather than hiding behind sarcasm?

I figured sarcasm was the perfect response to your post.All the other 2nd amendment advocates already informed you what the 2nd amendment is there for. You seem to be totally clueless what the 2nd amendment is for seeing how you would call someone a nutball and gut that is out of control for going by the intent of the 2nd amendment.

No I think if folks think the 2A was included in the Bill of Rights allowing revolution to take down the legally elected government just because yall don't like the government are @$$holes who deserve long sentences in jail if they try that kind of BS

That was the alternative the leaders of the Revolution chose.

I figured sarcasm was the perfect response to your post.All the other 2nd amendment advocates already informed you what the 2nd amendment is there for. You seem to be totally clueless what the 2nd amendment is for seeing how you would call someone a nutball and gut that is out of control for going by the intent of the 2nd amendment.

I fully support the 2A as ruled bt SCOTUS and have said so many times here.............BUT....

Have you ever spoken to any white supremacists or Militias and/or Patriot Groups ?.........

I guess not..........

But if ya did they would set you straight about the Second Amendment and why the Founding Fathers put it in the Bill of Rights..........and then I hope you would agree with me.............they are in fact, NUT JOBS

The 2A was put there to justify threatening insurrection if the gubbermint is not to your liking?

Jail for thinking it or trying it? Hard to tell.

People who rebel against any established government are well are of the consequences of failure.

Well it seems that would make sense to you.

totalitarians don't think the authority of government should be questioned.. and anyone that questions it should be jailed.

I fully support the 2A as ruled bt SCOTUS and have said so many times here.............BUT....

Have you ever spoken to any white supremacists or Militias and/or Patriot Groups ?.........

I guess not..........

But if ya did they would set you straight about the Second Amendment and why the Founding Fathers put it in the Bill of Rights..........and then I hope you would agree with me.............they are in fact, NUT JOBS

What would make them nutjobs is not the second amendment and what its for.. (which is the ability to rebel against a tyrannical federal government)..

What makes them nutjobs is being a white supremacist, or thinking that OBama is the anti Christ.

The 2A was put there to justify threatening insurrection if the gubbermint is not to your liking?

In a nutshell yes.

We already dealt with one overbearing government and wanted a way to check a second if it developed.

by the way.. in our country we spell "gubbermint" government.

Jail for thinking it or trying it? Hard to tell.

People who rebel against any established government are well are of the consequences of failure.

.....asnd maybe we have not seen too much of that RW silliness

Well it seems that would make sense to you.

totalitarians don't think the authority of government should be questioned.. and anyone that questions it should be jailed.

Well I would suggest you not vote for Trump.......

Back
Top Bottom