• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Shocking’ Huawei Arrest Threatens to Upend Trump-Xi Trade Truce

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
On the same day Donald Trump and Xi Jinping struck a trade war truce in Argentina, some 7,000 miles away Canadian authorities made an arrest that now threatens to make the U.S.-China conflict much worse.

The U.S. is seeking the extradition of Wanzhou Meng, chief financial officer of Huawei Technologies Co., after convincing Canada to arrest her on Dec. 1. Canada confirmed she was in custody shortly after the Globe and Mail reported she had been arrested in connection with violating sanctions against Iran.

China promptly reacted with outrage after the news broke, demanding that both countries move to free Meng. Later, the foreign ministry said it was waiting for details on why she was arrested, and said trade talks should continue.

It’s hard to overstate the significance of her arrest in Beijing: Meng is the daughter of the founder of Huawei, a national champion at the forefront of Xi’s efforts for China to be self-sufficient in strategic technologies. While the U.S. routinely asks allies to extradite drug lords, arms dealers and other criminals, arresting a major Chinese executive like this is rare -- if not unprecedented.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ns-to-upend-trump-xi-trade-truce?srnd=premium

I hate to use people as pawns but this maybe our trump card against China. It is amusing hearing the Chinese talk about this being a human rights violation.

Keep her in an American prison until China starts making concessions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ns-to-upend-trump-xi-trade-truce?srnd=premium

I hate to use people as pawns but this maybe our trump card against China. It is amusing hearing the Chinese talk about this being a human rights violation.

Keep her in an American prison until China starts making concessions.

I don't think you understand China all that well. Your suggestion will more than likely not work. China's culture is all about the group. What's good for the group is what they do. If that requires sacrificing a few or one, then they will do just that. IE: What's good for the many, outweighs the good of the few or the one.

I don't think you understand China all that well. Your suggestion will more than likely not work. China's culture is all about the group. What's good for the group is what they do. If that requires sacrificing a few or one, then they will do just that. IE: What's good for the many, outweighs the good of the few or the one.

That is accurate.

That said we have big issues with both ZTE and Huawei neither of which Donald Duck or "cyber expert" Rudy-tuddy understand AT ALL. We already had ZTE nailed to the wall and Donald let them off the hook as soon as he found a personal wealth enhancement angle that he could use to rationalize it.

I expect this will work out about the same.

However, both companies have stolen their way to a Phase 1, 5G wireless inside track. Both companies will install backdoors that will allow them to spy and steal via cyber in any country where they are deployed. China is instituting a Citizen Merit System and I am sure in country 5G deployments will be used to support that monstrosity of a concept as well. To your point, China's citizenry is just rolling over for this Citizen Merit System, something I would hope would be appalling to us in this country.

The way Telecom used to fight off China's IP theft and the scope and scale of China's Industry born of a huge domestic market was through standards bodies. Just as the Japanese failed to grasp American's desire for TV remotes that did not have 80 buttons with 5 submenus per button, the Chinese do have difficulty grasping Western Standards bodies. However 5G will be the first fully globalized standard. So I doubt that mitigation tool will work in the future.

At any rate, we better figure something out. I doubt Donald Duck and "cyber expert" Rudy-tuddy have any earthly idea what is going on in this particular field.

Apparently, Trump did not know about the arrest in advance but JB did:

National security advisor John Bolton said Thursday "I knew in advance" that giant smartphone maker Huawei's global CFO Meng Wanzhou would be arrested in Vancouver, Canada, at the behest of U.S. authorities — but President Donald Trump reportedly was in the dark about the planned bust.

"I'd rather not get into the specifics of law enforcement matters," said Bolton, who declined to answer whether the arrest was related to sanctions against Iran, as others claimed Thursday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/nat...lton-knew-before-huawei-executive-arrest.html

Back
Top Bottom