• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Roe baby’ whose conception sparked landmark abortion ruling comes forward

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
McCorvey[AKA Roe] reportedly understood her youngest daughter’s anger and hesitation. In an unpublished interview that was obtained by Prager, McCorvey said, “How could you possibly talk to someone who wanted to abort you?”

Abortion remained part of Thornton’s[Roe's baby] life long after Roe v. Wade. When she was pregnant at age 20, Thornton said to the Enquirer “that she couldn’t see herself having an abortion,” but described antiabortion activists as “a bunch of religious fanatics going around and doing protests.” But she did not consider herself to be an abortion rights advocate either, she told Prager, because of her birth mother.

“Norma[Roe] was pro-choice, and it seemed to Shelley that to have an abortion would render her no different than Norma,” Prager wrote.

Despite her anger toward McCorvey, Thornton was set to meet her biological mother in person in 1994. A heated phone call between the two, in which McCorvey allegedly said Thornton should have thanked her for not going through with the abortion, upended those plans.

“I was like, ‘What?! I’m supposed to thank you for getting knocked up … and then giving me away?'” she said in the book. “I told her I would never, ever thank her for not aborting me.”

Interesting article for a lot of reasons.

McCorvey[AKA Roe] reportedly understood her youngest daughter’s anger and hesitation. In an unpublished interview that was obtained by Prager, McCorvey said, “How could you possibly talk to someone who wanted to abort you?”

Abortion remained part of Thornton’s[Roe's baby] life long after Roe v. Wade. When she was pregnant at age 20, Thornton said to the Enquirer “that she couldn’t see herself having an abortion,” but described antiabortion activists as “a bunch of religious fanatics going around and doing protests.” But she did not consider herself to be an abortion rights advocate either, she told Prager, because of her birth mother.

“Norma[Roe] was pro-choice, and it seemed to Shelley that to have an abortion would render her no different than Norma,” Prager wrote.

Despite her anger toward McCorvey, Thornton was set to meet her biological mother in person in 1994. A heated phone call between the two, in which McCorvey allegedly said Thornton should have thanked her for not going through with the abortion, upended those plans.

“I was like, ‘What?! I’m supposed to thank you for getting knocked up … and then giving me away?'” she said in the book. “I told her I would never, ever thank her for not aborting me.”

Many would have preferred to be aborted rather than to find themselves struggling through life in orphanages, foster homes and botched adoptions. Ask the Hart kids.

Oh, we can't. They were drowned in the ocean by their adoptive parents...this, after suffering years and years of abuse and neglect.

Interesting story. Sparked my interest to go back and take another look at Roe V Wade and the decision of the Texas court. The SCOTUS with it's 7-2 vote and the opinion written by Justice Blackmun, some of the concurrences in particular that of Chief Justice Warren Burger, as well as the dissenting views of Justices White and Rehnquist.
To me several points that were included in the courts decision and opinions are interesting in that they seem not to have ever been resolved.

1. Does the 14th amendment actually provide the right to an abortion. The 14th amendment wasn't written until 1868 and by that time there were 36 laws on the books among the state and territorial governments. In the dissent this was mentioned based on the rights of states to address issues not specifically deal with in the Constitution and the issue of when life begins. Even the concurring justices did not agree on which portion of the Constitution dealt with this right.
2. The majority opinion specifically listed the protection of prenatal life as a concern of the court. In the decision it stated that the court had a duty to protect the rights of the mother and the unborn child, and the Court rejected the notion that this right to privacy was absolute.[5] It held instead that the abortion right must be balanced against other government interests.[5] The Court found two government interests that were sufficiently "compelling" to permit states to impose some limitations on pregnant women's right to choose to have an abortion: first, protecting the mother's health, and second, protecting the life of the fetus.[5]

We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, in this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer.

The court did not put the nation into a position to enforce a conclusion of these issues and they have become political footballs to be passed and kicked around instead of coming to a decision that all could accept and live with regardless of being incomplete to the wishes of either side. Compromise is the hardest thing to come to and in todays Congress seems to be impossible.

— Roe, 410 U.S. at 159.[54]

Many would have preferred to be aborted rather than to find themselves struggling through life in orphanages, foster homes and botched adoptions. Ask the Hart kids.

Oh, we can't. They were drowned in the ocean by their adoptive parents...this, after suffering years and years of abuse and neglect.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. No person can say at birth that they wish they were aborted, because they don't know that. Looking back on a bad life, or circumstances of their lives that wish were changed 20 or 30 years down the road simply isn't logical. Many, many people have survived terrible lives and risen to great successes despite an early bad history.
We know that unborn fetuses feel pain and respond to stimuli. I think choosing life for child is always a better choice because of the potential for greatness. Ending that life wipes out any opportunity that life provides. I often hear it said that, "all those advocating for abortion, never had to under go it".

And many, many more have needlessly suffered.

At what stage of development?
When does a baby have a heartbeat?
A baby's heartbeat can be detected by transvaginal ultrasound as early as 3 to 4 weeks after conception, or 5 to 6 weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period. This early embryonic heartbeat is fast, often about 160-180 beats per minutes, twice as fast as us adults'!
Important neurobiological developments occur at 7, 18, and 26 weeks' gestation and are the proposed periods for when a fetus can feel pain.

I have said repeatedly that the **** that birthed me should have aborted - all of her pregnancies.

When does a baby have a heartbeat?
No, feel pain.
A baby's heartbeat can be detected by transvaginal ultrasound as early as 3 to 4 weeks after conception, or 5 to 6 weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period. This early embryonic heartbeat is fast, often about 160-180 beats per minutes, twice as fast as us adults'!
Important neurobiological developments occur at 7, 18, and 26 weeks' gestation and are the proposed periods for when a fetus can feel pain.
Why is any of this important?

If my mom ever pulled out that comment on me and insisted I thank her for not aborting me, it would be weird. Something about saying that to your kid is very sanctimonious and emotionally manipulative.

If my mom ever pulled out that comment on me and insisted I thank her for not aborting me, it would be weird. Something about saying that to your kid is very sanctimonious and emotionally manipulative.
I agree, but it is matched by another. Rebecca Kiessling, a product of the rape of her birth mother who could not get a timely abortion and gave birth, was adopted and, at adulthood, searched for her birth mother. On learning the facts, she had the nerve to get angry at her and tell her she had an obligation to love her, Rebecca. Talk about sanctimonious . . . .

Back
Top Bottom