• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Right in the trash’: Texas ballot rejections soar, AP finds

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas threw out mail votes at an abnormally high rate during the nation’s first primary of 2022, rejecting nearly 23,000 ballots outright under tougher voting rules that are part of a broad campaign by Republicans to reshape American elections, according to an analysis by The Associated Press.

Roughly 13% of mail ballots returned in the March 1 primary were discarded and uncounted across 187 counties in Texas. While historical primary comparisons are lacking, the double-digit rejection rate would be far beyond what is typical in a general election, when experts say anything above 2% is usually cause for attention.

“My first reaction is ‘yikes,’” said Charles Stewart III, director of the Election Data and Science Lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. “It says to me that there’s something seriously wrong with the way that the mail ballot policy is being administered.”

Republicans promised new layers of voting rules would make it “easier to vote and harder to cheat.” But the final numbers recorded by AP lay bare the glaring gulf between that objective and the obstacles, frustration and tens of thousands of uncounted votes resulting from tighter restrictions and rushed implementation.

But here's the real shocker, of course:

In Texas, a state former President Donald Trump easily won although by a smaller margin than 2016, the trouble of navigating new rules was felt in counties big and small, red and blue. But the rejection rate was higher in counties that lean Democratic (15.1%) than Republican (9.1%).

This is why republicans cannot be trusted to govern. They are not fundamentally suited to the idea of a representational republic.

This is why republicans cannot be trusted to govern. They are not fundamentally suited to the idea of a representational republic.
Are you okay with disenfranchising 23,000 voters?

In the cradle of democracy, thousands of years ago, a representative republic meant that you showed up on the appointed day, at the appointed hour, at the appointed place to put your rock in the jar. No excuses. No exceptions. And it worked. Why it is that in the 21st century people act as though it’s rocket science just boggles the mind. If someone is too stupid to vote then I’m okay with them not voting. In fact, I prefer it.

Last edited:
In the cradle of democracy, thousands of years ago, a representative republic meant that you showed up on the appointed day, at the appointed hour, at the appointed place to put your rock in the jar. No excuses. No exceptions. And it worked. Why it is that in the 21st century people act as though it’s rocket science just boggles the mind. If someone is too stupid to vote then I’m okay with them not voting.
We also didn't have secret ballots till the late 1800's... It just boggles my mind that people still support ancient ways of voting... It's almost like the don't want people voting...

We also didn't have secret ballots till the late 1800's... It just boggles my mind that people still support ancient ways of voting... It's almost like the don't want people voting...
Everyone here trips over themselves to say who they do and don’t vote for. There are no secret ballots in a nation of partisan blabbermouths.

nobody honest, educated and objective is ffooled by this crap .. its purpose is to disenfranchise voters, make it harder, make voting lesser same with gerrymandering to a similar but larger degree
its wrong nomatter who doies it and its VERY telling of those individuals that support it

also to be fair its not everyday republicans, i know tons that hate this BS too and they see right through it

Everyone here trips over themselves to say who they do and don’t vote for. There are no secret ballots in a nation of partisan blabbermouths.

Good, let's put our names on our ballots and mail one to EVERY registered voter.... No more bullshit about having to show in person...

nobody honest, educated and objective is ffooled by this crap .. its purpose is to disenfranchise voters, make it harder, make voting lesser same with gerrymandering to a similar but larger degree
its wrong nomatter who doies it and its VERY telling of those individuals that support it

also to be fair its not everyday republicans, i know tons that hate this BS too and they see right through it

Texas is going to have a hard time explaining this to the federal judge hearing the lawsuit against these changes...

It is the PEOPLE that cannot be trusted. They vote, and THEY allow this mess.

Bullshit. People might talk about their preferences among their friends or colleagues, but nobody announces their voting when they're at the polls. In fact, it would probably be considered electioneering, which is illegal at polling places.

Last edited:

You mean having rules is too ****ing hard for dumb **** liberals?

So why is putting your social security number on a form rocket science for some people?
There are privacy issues there.

Also, there is this thing known as 'identity theft '

You mean having rules is too ****ing hard for dumb **** liberals?

Virtually every one these ballots was for someone over 65... Texas allows very few voters to vote absentee..

That's no shocker at all. The whole point was trying to steal elections.

Google liberal states kicking back ballots.

This thread is about stuff like this in TX: "But the rejection rate was higher in counties that lean Democratic (15.1%) than Republican (9.1%)."

Bullshit. People might talk about their preferences among their friends or colleagues, but nobody announces their voting when they're at the polls. In fact, it would probably be considered electioneering, which is illegal at polling places.
He knows that. But he had to say something.

They gave up on governing a long time ago.

In the cradle of democracy, thousands of years ago, a representative republic meant that you showed up on the appointed day, at the appointed hour, at the appointed place to put your rock in the jar. No excuses. No exceptions. And it worked. Why it is that in the 21st century people act as though it’s rocket science just boggles the mind. If someone is too stupid to vote then I’m okay with them not voting. In fact, I prefer it.
And at that time only adult white male property owners could vote. You act like you want to go back. Do you?

And at that time only adult white male property owners could vote. You act like you want to go back. Do you?
I think people who don’t own property shouldn’t be allowed to vote on things that involve property tax levies because they have no skin in the game.

So why is putting your social security number on a form rocket science for some people?
You don't need my social for me to vote. That's absurd and should be illegal. Signature is fine

Back
Top Bottom