• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘My city is on fire’: pandemic wreaks renewed havoc in Flint after water crisis

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Covid cases are surging, forcing community leaders to rethink strategies to reduce vaccine misinformation and barriers

Nearly a dozen people sit in on a Zoom call on a Wednesday afternoon for what they call a “publications” meeting – one similar to many others held daily in Flint, Michigan, as community partners collaborate for the sake of public health.
In essence, it’s a meeting bringing organizations together to help strategize on how to get the word out about Covid-19 vaccinations.

Like the rest of Michigan, Flint is seeing steep increases in Covid-19 numbers.
“My city is on fire. Covid-19 is on fire,” said Debra Furr-Holden, director of the Flint Center for Health Equity Solutions (FCHES) and associate dean for public health integration at Michigan State University, as she talks about new efforts to reduce Covid numbers.
==================================================================================
I'm surprised that Flint is still there after the Repubs got through with it.

Covid cases are surging, forcing community leaders to rethink strategies to reduce vaccine misinformation and barriers

Nearly a dozen people sit in on a Zoom call on a Wednesday afternoon for what they call a “publications” meeting – one similar to many others held daily in Flint, Michigan, as community partners collaborate for the sake of public health.
In essence, it’s a meeting bringing organizations together to help strategize on how to get the word out about Covid-19 vaccinations.

Like the rest of Michigan, Flint is seeing steep increases in Covid-19 numbers.
“My city is on fire. Covid-19 is on fire,” said Debra Furr-Holden, director of the Flint Center for Health Equity Solutions (FCHES) and associate dean for public health integration at Michigan State University, as she talks about new efforts to reduce Covid numbers.
==================================================================================
I'm surprised that Flint is still there after the Repubs got through with it.

They better get rid of the Republican mayor then...

Oh, wait.

Oh, wait.

The Repubs passed the buck on the lead/water problem, which they caused. As far as the Legionnaire's Disease, they blamed it on the hospital rather than admit responsibility connected to the water problem.

The Repubs passed the buck on the lead/water problem, which they caused. As far as the Legionnaire's Disease, they blamed it on the hospital rather than admit responsibility connected to the water problem.

So, the Republicans caused the deteriorated plumbing in Flint how?

So, the Republicans caused the deteriorated plumbing in Flint how?
They caused the water crisis in Flint. The MI Repub party is very corrupt.

They caused the water crisis in Flint. The MI Repub party is very corrupt.

The contaminated pipe.... In Flint. The pipes leeching poisons into the water supply.

In the same Flint under Democrat control for decades.

The "MI Repub party" had what to do with that?

The contaminated pipe.... In Flint. The pipes leeching poisons into the water supply.

In the same Flint under Democrat control for decades.

The "MI Repub party" had what to do with that?

It's more complicated than that. Do a Google search. I don't have the time to retell an old story.

It's more complicated than that. Do a Google search. I don't have the time to retell an old story.

As I recall, it has to do with deciding to use unfiltered river water, which is more corrosive and led to the lead pipes corroding.

Oh, wait.
Now tell me who was governor when the water got all ****ed up again?

As I recall, it has to do with deciding to use unfiltered river water, which is more corrosive and led to the lead pipes corroding.
After the city officials lied to a state Reciever about the safety of water from the river plant.

Of course the city of flint is run by the type of people who only ever blame others and take no responsibility themselves

After the city officials lied to a state Reciever about the safety of water from the river plant.

Of course the city of flint is run by the type of people who only ever blame others and take no responsibility themselves

I thought Flint at that time was run by a gov. appointed emergency manager.

I don't see Gov Gavin Newsom doing the city planning for Stockton or Crescent City.
Due to financial issues the state took over admin of Flint. The state if I recall correctly decided to switch the source of water which was more corrosive increasing the amountil of lead leaching into the water supply.

So yes the state was responsible for the lead contamination.

I won't comment about the fact that the pipes should have been replaced long ago. I do expect that a lot of cities that have homes built pre 1950

I don't see Gov Gavin Newsom doing the city planning for Stockton or Crescent City.
You seriously don’t know how government works. Sad

Or watch the movie Flint - based on the water problems in Flint, MI. The river water that Flint switched to - as a temporary cost-saving measure - could have been rendered safe, but the city water works failed to add corrosion control chemicals to the water (a couple of hundred dollars/year, as I recall), which would have kept lead, copper, rust in the water supply lines from leaching into the city water. There were other problems as well - Fling lying to EPA & MI Dept. Environment - but that was internal, & those people were prosecuted. The then-MI governor, a Republican, had his political career cut short by the fiasco, as I recall.

The background info is readily available, & it's still a problem across the country. There are a lot of lead, copper, steel municipal water piping systems out there, in various stages of disrepair - mostly from lack of maintenance. Mostly due to the abandonment of the cities, due to shifting (post-WWII) to subsidizing suburbs, instead of taking care of cities.

Governors run cities?
MI was in dire financial straits.

On
  • November 29, 2011 - Three weeks after the city (Flint) declared a state of financial emergency, MI Governor Rick Snyder (R) appoints Michael Brown as the city's Emergency Manager, effective December 1.[29] He is the first of four such managers who will effectively take the place of the mayor until 2015, when a Receivership Transition Advisory Board will be appointed.[30]
(My emphasis - I also added data - the name of Flint, governor's first name & political party - a detailed timeline & more detail @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_water_crisis#2014)

Or watch the movie Flint - based on the water problems in Flint, MI. The river water that Flint switched to - as a temporary cost-saving measure - could have been rendered safe, but the city water works failed to add corrosion control chemicals to the water (a couple of hundred dollars/year, as I recall), which would have kept lead, copper, rust in the water supply lines from leaching into the city water. There were other problems as well - Fling lying to EPA & MI Dept. Environment - but that was internal, & those people were prosecuted. The then-MI governor, a Republican, had his political career cut short by the fiasco, as I recall.

The background info is readily available, & it's still a problem across the country. There are a lot of lead, copper, steel municipal water piping systems out there, in various stages of disrepair - mostly from lack of maintenance. Mostly due to the abandonment of the cities, due to shifting (post-WWII) to subsidizing suburbs, instead of taking care of cities.

Yep. I didn't have the particulars handy, but I knew it was because of the river water corrosion.

Due to financial issues the state took over admin of Flint. The state if I recall correctly decided to switch the source of water which was more corrosive increasing the amountil of lead leaching into the water supply.

So yes the state was responsible for the lead contamination.

I won't comment about the fact that the pipes should have been replaced long ago. https://www.npr.org/2021/01/13/9565...sis-including-former-michigan-gov-rick-snyder

I do expect that a lot of cities that have homes built pre 1950

Back
Top Bottom