• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘I trusted you!’ Trump voters seethe after realizing they’re getting screwed by the GOP’s tax plan

To avoid double taxation just get rid of a state income tax - see Texas.
But that's not the reality.

And there many other taxes besides income, such as property, sales, vehicle, etc.

It’s not double taxation. State and local taxes go to maintain your state and local government, federal taxes go to Washington. Both are separate government units obligated to provide different services. It is NOT double taxation.
Yes it is double taxation, regardless of it being separate taxing entities. That's why the deduction was put there in the first place.

Good, it’s not my job to subsidize your state legislators. SALT is only a problem for you because you’ve probably voted straight democrat never caring about their tax policies because you could write it off.

SALT should’ve even exist, why should you get to write off high local taxes? I’d rather money go to the military and other essential federal services then you cheat them to send money to cities I will never visit. My spending is low and my state has no income tax, and so I get to write off nothing on SALT.
Again, because it's double taxation.

Yes it is double taxation, regardless of it being separate taxing entities. That's why the deduction was put there in the first place.

No it’s not. You’re getting different services for it. In fact you’re complaining you’re not getting federal services for free

And if your tax burden is too high Trumps been lowering the federal end so start voting R for the state assembly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the text of the Raw Story article:
Multiple supporters of President Donald Trump over the past couple of weeks have taken to Twitter to air their grievances about the president’s signature tax cut plan.

Even though the 2017 GOP tax cut is leading to spiking federal deficits thanks to its generous benefits to corporations, many middle-class Americans are winding up having to pay more because the bill eliminated multiple deductions used by middle-class families to lower their annual tax payments.

Among other things, the tax bill capped deductions for taxes paid to state and local governments, while massively increasing the amount of money you must donate to qualify for a charitable giving deduction.

Several Trump voters who have done their taxes are not happy about this and they’re letting both the president and the Republican Party hear it — check out some of their tweets below.

Dennis Jordan
@DennisMJordan
Replying to @GOPChairwoman @GOP
I am a Republican voter. I just did our taxes.

The @GOP tax bill cost my family THOUSANDS of dollars this year on our return due to changes, thereby hitting us with the LARGEST tax increase of our lives.

We are middle-class homeowners, and you raised our taxes.

Infuriating!

5:57 AM - Feb 5, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
3,393 people are talking about this

Iamnewatthis
@sandynewtothis
Replying to @realDonaldTrump
I have to pay $2000 MORE in taxes this year! What happened?? I voted for you and thought you were fixing this, not making it worse!? I thought I would get money back this year!?

11:56 AM - Feb 1, 2019
4,262 people are talking about this

Nycgirl
@nlnp99
Replying to @WhiteHouse @POTUS
Voted for you . Family of
2 hard working N.Y. cops. Did taxes for years we would pay more and get a refund at the end of the year to help pay debt . First time in 30 years We had to pay more in Federal
Taxes. I’m disgusted

6:13 PM - Feb 4, 2019
507 people are talking about this

Joel Serbin
@JoelSerbin
@POTUS thank you for screwing the middle class with your tax reform. I have never in my life, I’m 49 years old, had to pay into the IRS until this year. We have a combined income of 150,000. The middle class voted for you. I will not make the same mistake twice.

9:15 PM - Feb 3, 2019
466 people are talking about this

Jay Wright
@nochcknstrps12r
@RepDonBacon I just finished my taxes and we're paying an extra 4k this year since exemptions are gone. With a High D HC plan, this has not been a good year. I voted for you twice now. What's the plan?

6:02 AM - Feb 3, 2019
297 people are talking about this

Thomas DeLucca
@TDeLucca7728
@realDonaldTrump I voted for you, and believe in the things you are doing, but you screwed us middle class with taxes. I can’t itemize or anything. How about a flat tax and get rid of earned income credit. Some don’t earn income but get more back in taxes for having baby’s.

5:55 PM - Feb 2, 2019
424 people are talking about this

Shelby Kuh
@ShelbyKuh
I voted for you the first time but after you screwed me on my get tax break I won’t vote for you again especially after I started on my 2018 return it’s a joke the taxes you are keeping from a working person good luck in 2020

5:23 AM - Feb 2, 2019
233 people are talking about this

Joshua Curtis
@dcjchris
Replying to @juliobailon @realDerekUtley
I voted for @realdonaldtrump, but that unfortunately that means I have to pay higher taxes.

10:03 PM - Jan 25, 2019
130 people are talking about this

A9N7G3
@973angie
Worse tax return I had in a decade! I admit I voted for @realDonaldTrump but he has officially lost my vote for 2020.

11:06 AM - Jan 23, 2019
493 people are talking about this

Speziale-Matheny
@Speciale3886
Wait til you file your taxes. Middle class just lost half their return. Lowest refund I have ever had and I am 50yrs old. No wall and now this tax reform sucks too!! Starting to doubt Trump. I voted for him and trusted him too.

12:53 PM - Jan 27, 2019
610 people are talking about this

It appears that the chickens have come home. Congratulations, Trumpsters.

poor Tweetycult. you get to suffer along with the rest of us. pull up a chair.

Do you get to deduct your Netflix bill from what you owe the cable company? Your argument makes even less sense when you consider sales tax, gas tax, property tax, sin tax, death tax, gift tax,and any of the other taxes we have imposed on us. Complaining about double taxation is rather ludicrous when we are (I don't even know the amount of different taxes we pay) taxed.

But that's not the reality.

And there many other taxes besides income, such as property, sales, vehicle, etc.

How is that not reality? There are 7 different states without an income tax, if they can do it the other states could as well. Why should they have to pay in more in federal taxes because your state decided to implement an income tax? Isn't it time you paid your fair share?

Incorrect. Go back and read what remark I responded to and then look at a 1040 form.

BTW, it's not "my formula." The equations I presented are nothing other than translating the other member's English language statement into the language of math.

What about the change in standard deduction as an example? I find it funny how you attempt to use different terms.

Yes. All SALT taxes should be deductible, to avoid double taxation. But regardless, property, sales, and (state) income taxes should definitely be deductible.
I'm personally opposed to taxing peoples earnings. I rather see a consumption tax implemented and the income tax abolished. It avoids this whole mess.

But your argument of double taxation is interesting and I one I am sympathetic too but the horse has left the barn a long time ago. We are already double taxed on many things which os why I brought up cigarettes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To avoid double taxation just get rid of a state income tax - see Texas.
That's not really avoiding double taxation though. Try to deducting the sales tax you pay on your federal income form and see what the IRS tells you

Do you get to deduct your Netflix bill from what you owe the cable company? Your argument makes even less sense when you consider sales tax, gas tax, property tax, sin tax, death tax, gift tax,and any of the other taxes we have imposed on us. Complaining about double taxation is rather ludicrous when we are (I don't even know the amount of different taxes we pay) taxed.
Yes, many of those taxes such as sale & income taxes are indeed deductible.

Here is the text of the Raw Story article:

It appears that the chickens have come home. Congratulations, Trumpsters.

I am happy these freeloaders are paying their fair share.

If they can’t claim SALT anymore then they need to contact their state legislators

How is that not reality? There are 7 different states without an income tax, if they can do it the other states could as well. Why should they have to pay in more in federal taxes because your state decided to implement an income tax? Isn't it time you paid your fair share?
Because those taxes are reality in these states! :doh

I'm personally opposed to taxing peoples earnings. I rather see a consumption tax implemented and the income tax abolished. It avoids this whole mess.

But your argument of double taxation is interesting and I one I am sympathetic too but the horse has left the barn a long time ago. We are already double taxed on many things which os why I brought up cigarettes.

That's actually why the deductions were put in place. If your taxes are taken out of your income by the state, then the feds are technically taxing you on a higher level of income than you received. Obviously, the fact that it's different taxing bodies (along with federalism) complicate the mess.

It’s not double taxation. State and local taxes go to maintain your state and local government, federal taxes go to Washington. Both are separate government units obligated to provide different services. It is NOT double taxation.
He is right about double taxation. The only way to avoid it is to make people responsible to pay 1 tax to their local government. Make that government obligated to pay the state tax and the states obligated to pay a federal tax.

The net result of that tiered system would be a very high local tax but it would be only 1 tax that you personally pay. Ultimately however you would pay the same amount as you did with the multiple tax system. Politicians will never willingly reform taxes in that way because everyone would realize exactly how money they are taking from everyone.

He is right about double taxation. The only way to avoid it is to make people responsible to pay 1 tax to their local government. Make that government obligated to pay the state tax and the states obligated to pay a federal tax.

The net result of that tiered system would be a very high local tax but it would be only 1 tax that you personally pay. Ultimately however you would pay the same amount as you did with the multiple tax system. Politicians will never willingly reform taxes in that way because everyone would realize exactly how money they are taking from everyone.

No he’s not. You cannot have double taxation when there are multiple taxing authorities anymore then you get “double billed” if you spend on two credit cards

But it is double taxation, even if by separate governmental taxing bodies. That's why the deduction was there in the first place.

But it is double taxation, even if by separate governmental taxing bodies. That's why the deduction was there in the first place.

Ok, fine it’s double taxation, you still owe your taxes.

It’s not my fault your state charges high taxes. You still get to SALT deduct, just to a much lower limit. It shouldn’t exist at all. It’s not fair to those of us in low tax states that we have to shoulder the burden of the federal government while you get massive services subsidized by tax exemptions, if you feel Illinois provides good services for the state income tax and high property taxes then you can pay them

No he’s not. You cannot have double taxation when there are multiple taxing authorities anymore then you get “double billed” if you spend on two credit cards

This entire debate exposes the problem with a progressive income tax system. Picking and choosing what's deductible and what is not is the government picking winners and losers. It's a prejudiced system. If we are gonna have an income tax it would be better to eliminate all deductions.

This entire debate exposes the problem with a progressive income tax system. Picking and choosing what's deductible and what is not is the government picking winners and losers. It's a prejudiced system. If we are gonna have an income tax it would be better to eliminate all deductions.

I think the 16th amendment should be abolished and the income tax with it

Ok, fine it’s double taxation, you still owe your taxes.

It’s not my fault your state charges high taxes. You still get to SALT deduct, just to a much lower limit. It shouldn’t exist at all. It’s not fair to those of us in low tax states that we have to shoulder the burden of the federal government while you get massive services subsidized by tax exemptions, if you feel Illinois provides good services for the state income tax and high property taxes then you can pay them

This is true, I live in Florida and we pay our state tax burden in the form of a sales tax so we get no salt deduction. What would be fair would be to give everyone the exact same deduction irregardless of if they have a state income tax or not.

That's actually why the deductions were put in place. If your taxes are taken out of your income by the state, then the feds are technically taxing you on a higher level of income than you received. Obviously, the fact that it's different taxing bodies (along with federalism) complicate the mess.
I get the argument. I find it to be a selectively bias one.

I'm opposed to taxing wages and here's why:

If a business owner has a factory that manufactures widgets, and he sells those widgets for a dollar each, he does not pay tax on the dollar he receives for each widget he sells. He gets to deduct the costs associated with making the widgets. That would be things like workers' wages, cost of materials, insurance, rent, equipment, etc. If it costs him 80 cents to produce a widget, that means he only has to pay tax on the profit, which is 20 cents.

The wage earner in contrast, has no profit. He/she has traded a day of their life for an agreed upon wage. At the end of the day the worker paid for his/her wages for the market value of their labor. It is an even exchange with no profit for the worker, therefore, it should not be taxed at all.

Yes, many of those taxes such as sale & income taxes are indeed deductible.

You can deduct sales taxes?

Edit: Just looked it up, Didn't know about that. Either way your argument is not valid as even without a limit you are still going to be "double taxed" multiple times over simply due to the plethora of different taxes we have to pay. Our entire system is screwed, if they are going to continue income taxes ALL other taxes should be abolished as they are double taxation.

Last edited:

Why are you against paying your fair share? Funny how Democrats are always about people paying more in taxes until the bill hits their mailbox. :p

Back
Top Bottom