• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘I just want to find 11,780 votes’: In extraordinary hour-long call, Trump pressures Georgia secretary of state to recalculate the vote in his favor

MTAtech

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
‘I just want to find 11,780 votes’: In extraordinary hour-long call, Trump pressures Georgia secretary of state to recalculate the vote in his favor

President Trump urged fellow Republican Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state, to “find” enough votes to overturn his defeat in an extraordinary one-hour phone call Saturday that election experts said raised legal questions.

The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”
Throughout the call, Raffensperger and his office’s general counsel rejected Trump’s assertions, explaining that the president is relying on debunked conspiracy theories and that President-elect Joe Biden’s 11,779-vote victory in Georgia was fair and accurate.
At another point, Trump said: “So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.”

==========
Just when your thought Trump could go now lower, he proves you wrong.
Here, he is trying to strong-arm the Georgia Secy of State into interfering with votes already cast, already counted in an election already certified -- perhaps asking the Secy of State to commit a crime. I think making this request is a crime of its own.

Last edited:

President Trump urged fellow Republican Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state, to “find” enough votes to overturn his defeat in an extraordinary one-hour phone call Saturday that election experts said raised legal questions.

The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”
Throughout the call, Raffensperger and his office’s general counsel rejected Trump’s assertions, explaining that the president is relying on debunked conspiracy theories and that President-elect Joe Biden’s 11,779-vote victory in Georgia was fair and accurate.
At another point, Trump said: “So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.”

==========
Here, he is trying to strong-arm the Georgia governor into interfering with votes already cast, already cast in an election already certified -- perhaps asking the Governor to commit a crime. I think making this request is a crime of its own.
As I have said before Trump really needs therapy.

==========
Here, he is trying to strong-arm the Georgia governor into interfering with votes already cast, already cast in an election already certified -- perhaps asking the Governor to commit a crime. I think making this request is a crime of its own.
I hope he recorded it or had other people listening in on the call.

election interference by Trump.
From the article:
Trump’s conversation with Raffensperger put him in legally questionable territory, legal experts said. By exhorting the secretary of state to “find” votes and to deploy investigators who “want to find answers,” Trump appears to be encouraging him to doctor the election outcome in Georgia.

==========
Here, he is trying to strong-arm the Georgia governor into interfering with votes already cast, already counted in an election already certified -- perhaps asking the Governor to commit a crime. I think making this request is a crime of its own.
I have just been reading about it. The malignant narcissist scumbag piece of drek grifter has gone way off the deep end. He should be arrested but I will settle for his leaving in less than 17 days. A complete disgrace and his idiot sycophants' continue to support him. UNREAL!

From the article:
Trump’s conversation with Raffensperger put him in legally questionable territory, legal experts said. By exhorting the secretary of state to “find” votes and to deploy investigators who “want to find answers,” Trump appears to be encouraging him to doctor the election outcome in Georgia.
imo, Trump's interference started way before this phone call. Trump has been asking elected officials in many States to change the results.

I agree with the legal experts making the comment.

Well, I'm glad we have the recording so that we can skip right over "Washington Post, fake news!!11" responses and get right to the inevitable attempts to justify this attempt at election interference through threats.

A person, including an election official, who in any election for Federal office—

(1)knowingly and willfully intimidates, threatens, or coerces, or attempts to intimidate, threaten, or coerce, any person for—
(A) registering to vote, or voting, or attempting to register or vote;
(B) urging or aiding any person to register to vote, to vote, or to attempt to register or vote; or
(C) exercising any right under this chapter; or

(2)knowingly and willfully deprives, defrauds, or attempts to deprive or defraud the residents of a State of a fair and impartially conducted election process, by—
(A) the procurement or submission of voter registration applications that are known by the person to be materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent under the laws of the State in which the election is held; or
(B) the procurement, casting, or tabulation of ballots that are known by the person to be materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent under the laws of the State in which the election is held,

shall be fined in accordance with title 18 (which fines shall be paid into the general fund of the Treasury, miscellaneous receipts (pursuant to section 3302 of title 31), notwithstanding any other law), or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

The article said:
The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger...
Good! If I were him or any other governor I would be reaching for the record button, or getting me some witnesses the second I'm told that President Trump is on the line. No way you can trust that ****ing snake. You have protect yourself whenever and wherever Trump is involved.

A person, including an election official, who in any election for Federal office—

(1)knowingly and willfully intimidates, threatens, or coerces, or attempts to intimidate, threaten, or coerce, any person for—
(A) registering to vote, or voting, or attempting to register or vote;
(B) urging or aiding any person to register to vote, to vote, or to attempt to register or vote; or
(C) exercising any right under this chapter; or

(2)knowingly and willfully deprives, defrauds, or attempts to deprive or defraud the residents of a State of a fair and impartially conducted election process, by—
(A) the procurement or submission of voter registration applications that are known by the person to be materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent under the laws of the State in which the election is held; or
(B) the procurement, casting, or tabulation of ballots that are known by the person to be materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent under the laws of the State in which the election is held,

shall be fined in accordance with title 18 (which fines shall be paid into the general fund of the Treasury, miscellaneous receipts (pursuant to section 3302 of title 31), notwithstanding any other law), or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other possible statutes as well.

The most telling thing to me is that he's willing to consider anything that gets him those votes, i.e.: it's not important what alternative fact theory he's presenting, or how it happens, what's important is that he gets EXACTLY enough votes to win Georgia. Ultimately, he not having a debate about facts, but about the Secretary's willingness to hand him the election by any means necessary.

Man, I wish I could get away with just half of the stuff wealthy influential people get away with.

I can hardly wait to see how his supporters defend this.
I've already gotten sick of it. It's almost funny because the justifications will be so laughably bad, but also disheartening to watch so many people willingly suspend their own sense of morality for political affiliation.

i am so glad that foreign leaders didn't accuse him repeatedly of being a loser. who knows what he would have done.

never forget who ruined our country...

Don't Miss Me on Hannity Tonight at 9PM ET - The Rush Limbaugh Show

Back
Top Bottom