• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘I couldn’t do anything to stop them’: Mother claims principal threatened her with ja

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
?I couldn?t do anything to stop them?: Mother claims principal threatened her with jail if son wasn?t paddled | National Post

‘I couldn’t do anything to stop them’: Mother claims principal threatened her with jail if son wasn’t paddled

A mother has accused two Georgia elementary school administrators of giving her an ultimatum: allow your 5-year-old son to be paddled or face jail time.

“They told me if he could not get a paddling he would have to be suspended and if he got suspended for even one day I WILL go to jail for truancy,” Shana Marie Perez wrote in a Facebook posting that included video of son Thomas in a struggle with two administrators. “I could not go to jail or my kids would have nothing . . . I can’t take care of my kids in jail.”

Read the link pls, then comment.
Thank you

Re: ‘I couldn’t do anything to stop them’: Mother claims principal threatened her wit

I see two problems here. The first, and obvious, is two administrators engaging in child abuse and possibly several other crimes. The second is a mother who just took their word for it.

Re: ‘I couldn’t do anything to stop them’: Mother claims principal threatened her wit

?I couldn?t do anything to stop them?: Mother claims principal threatened her with jail if son wasn?t paddled | National Post

‘I couldn’t do anything to stop them’: Mother claims principal threatened her with jail if son wasn’t paddled

Thank you

What did the kid do to warrant a spanking? He may have done something that did in fact warrant it. I am not against corporal punishment. In fact, I feel that one of the reasons that children have lost respect for adults and society as a whole is because of a lack of fear of any consequences for their actions.

Why did the kid miss 18 days of school resulting in his mother getting put in jail for truancy? If she had a legitimate medical reason for the child missing so many days of school, the judge would have not put her in jail and she wouldn't be on probation now.

Without knowing why the kid was given corporal punishment, it's hard to judge, but it seems that his home life is leading him astray and the school is trying to teach him that bad choices have bad consequences (see my sig below). Not enough information for me to come down on either side completely, but I'm leaning toward supporting the school.

Thank you

Either she's lying or she's an idiot. If she's telling the truth, the school officials could be guilty of coercion, although it's entirely possible that she just made the jail part up after the fact (choosing to have him paddled rather than suspended was the right thing to do btw).

What we have here is a parent who won't discipline their own kid (she said he isn't spanked at home), so the school has to for her.

I see two problems here. The first, and obvious, is two administrators engaging in child abuse and possibly several other crimes. The second is a mother who just took their word for it.

This post is emblematic of so much that is wrong with our society. Giving a kid a spanking (a single spank) is not in any way child abuse.

I am pissed at everyone in that story.

I saw no child abuse - much less any obvious crimes.

This post is emblematic of so much that is wrong with our society. Giving a kid a spanking (a single spank) is not in any way child abuse.

I don't believe in using physical pain as a motivator or deterrent for children, but even I did I still would not believe it is acceptable for such a punishment to be administered by anyone but a parent. If being struck with a paddle is required for a message to sink in then perhaps those administrators could do with a few whacks to get the message that they're not to lay hands on a child when the parent says no.

I don't believe in using physical pain as a motivator or deterrent for children, but even I did I still would not believe it is acceptable for such a punishment to be administered by anyone but a parent. If being struck with a paddle is required for a message to sink in then perhaps those administrators could do with a few whacks to get the message that they're not to lay hands on a child when the parent says no.

The parent said yes.

I saw no child abuse - much less any obvious crimes.

Hitting a child is child abuse. Do you go around hitting other people? No, so why is assaulting a child acceptable? If it's not acceptable to go around hitting people that are you own size then it sure as hell isn't acceptable to hit a small child. Maybe instead of children being the exception to the rule when it comes to hitting others they should be leading the charge.

Thank you

Just to be clear, is she alleging that they threatened her with jail, or just that she was scared of jail?

Hitting a child is child abuse. Do you go around hitting other people? No, so why is assaulting a child acceptable? If it's not acceptable to go around hitting people that are you own size then it sure as hell isn't acceptable to hit a small child. Maybe instead of children being the exception to the rule when it comes to hitting others they should be leading the charge.

The answer, as always, is authority.

The parent said yes.

After being coerced/blackmailed which is not a legal consent. Personally, I'm not stupid enough to believe what those administrators alleged and if they didn't take their hands off that kid I'd whack them with that paddle until they got the message. As they said, a person never learns without consequences and their idea of appropriate punishment is pain.

Just to be clear, is she alleging that they threatened her with jail, or just that she was scared of jail?

The answer, as always, is authority.

You know, that answer is bull****. Parents and guardians are tasked with keeping children free of harm. Parents or guardians hitting children is one of the easiest and most common ways they fail at doing their job.

After being coerced/blackmailed which is not a legal consent. Personally, I'm not stupid enough to believe what those administrators alleged and if they didn't take their hands off that kid I'd whack them with that paddle until they got the message. As they said, a person never learns without consequences and their idea of appropriate punishment is pain.

Allegedly coerced. Actually, it's not even clear if she's even alleging coercion by the administrators.

Your violent tendencies aren't really the subject here. The fact of the matter is that we have video of the mother present and not objecting. The burden is on her to prove coercion (note, coercion means that they threatened her, not that she felt scared, the administrators are not responsible for her mental state).

You know, that answer is bull****. Parents and guardians are tasked with keeping children free of harm. Parents or guardians hitting children is one of the easiest and most common ways they fail at doing their job.

A good swat can save a child from many harms.

Allegedly coerced. Actually, it's not even clear if she's even alleging coercion by the administrators.

Your violent tendencies aren't really the subject here. The fact of the matter is that we have video of the mother present and not objecting. The burden is on her to prove coercion (note, coercion means that they threatened her, not that she felt scared, the administrators are not responsible for her mental state).

Oh come now, if they want to go around paddling children then they should be willing to take a paddling in return. After all, hitting children is unacceptable, so they must be punished, and what better way than a paddling.

LOL. My violent tendencies? Lets see, you have teachers advocating for and beating children but somehow I'm the one with violent tendencies. Doing whatever it takes to prevent children from being abused and/or harmed is called parenting not a violent tendency.

Oh come now, if they want to go around paddling children then they should be willing to take a paddling in return. After all, hitting children is unacceptable, so they must be punished, and what better way than a paddling.

I don't accept the premise that spanking is unacceptable.

LOL. My violent tendencies? Lets see, you have teachers advocating for and beating children but somehow I'm the one with violent tendencies. Doing whatever it takes to prevent children from being abused and/or harmed is called parenting not a violent tendency.

Indeed. If a someone came up to me and wanted to paddle my child we are going to have a problem. If they go forward with their plans and do it, oh hell yeah, it's on.

You expressed a desire to assault these teachers. Giving someone permission to spank your kid and then attacking them (instead of just revoking consent, which she could have done at any time), is not legal. Disciplining kids, on the other hand, is.

Indeed. If a someone came up to me and wanted to paddle my child we are going to have a problem. If they go forward with their plans and do it, oh hell yeah, it's on.

You're a libertarian right? So the word "consent" means a lot to you, no?

Your opinion is noted, but it is just that, your opinion. Maybe if a few butts had been spanked less butts would be in jail when they grew up - that is my opinion. Hitting a child is abuse. One spank on the rump is not, and in Georgia it is a legal form of punishment, as the article stated so stating that it is abuse is not backed up by the facts in this case. Which again, makes your statement opinion, rather than fact.

I was abused as a child. One spank on my ass was not abuse, and I had a number of those from teachers - not a lot, but a number of them. I know what abuse is. Abuse resulted in my left arm being broken in two places. Abuse resulted in me having a broken jaw that is still out of alignment. Abuse was not spanking me on the ass for getting in a fight in the hallway in the 4th grade, or hitting another kid in the back with a ball bat (that I took from him after he hit me with it) in the 7th grade, or getting my ass whipped (that one wasn't a single spank) for hitting the assistant principal square in the nose when he grabbed me from behind to stop a disagreement I was having with another kid about whether his head would fit in his locker (it fit, but his ears began to swell up and the locker had to be cut open to get him out) and I swung around and popped him before I realized who it was - he, my high school assistant principal, gave a speech at my wedding reception telling about that day and how he helped me get into the military and became a great mentor for me later in life. He didn't abuse me, he taught me a lesson that I would probably not had learned otherwise.

Like I said, I recognize your opinion, but it is just that, your opinion.

I don't accept the premise that spanking is unacceptable.

Do you accept that an employee/agent of the State should be allowed to strike your child at will with or without your consent? That's the law in Georgia.

Do you accept that an employee/agent of the State should be allowed to strike your child at will with or without your consent? That's the law in Georgia.

No it isn't. The law there requires consent, which she gave.

You're a libertarian right? So the word "consent" means a lot to you, no?

What consent? The agreement was made under duress.

No it isn't. The law there requires consent, which she gave.

duress- threats, violence, constraints, or other action brought to bear on someone to do something against their will or better judgment.

The law will not support the teachers here.

Back
Top Bottom