• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Hey Siri, Fire For Effect’: US Army Seeks Voice-Controlled Gear

Rogue Valley

Exordium and Terminus
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

In the desert, a dusty touchscreen might not recognize a soldier’s sand-covered gloves. There might be a way around that....

defense-large.jpg

OrphanSlug

A sinister place...
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."

Jesse Booth

we live in a society
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
People of DP, lend me your palms that I might strike my own forehead in shame with the righteous force of a hurricane!

TheGoverness

Little Miss Sunshine
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Why would this be useful at all? Makes no sense to me.

braindrain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Why would this be useful at all? Makes no sense to me.

I can see quite a few places voice controlled equipment could be useful. Tell me what background do you have to decide the usefulness of this equipment.

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Maybe they should ask Microsoft for their screen tech.. you can use their phones in the dead of winter with gloves on.. just saying.

And for the love of god dont use Siri lol.. the target will be long gone before Siri figures out what you said and does your bidding.. Siri sucks donkey balls compared to other similar tech.

PIPEWRENCH

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I think we need to continue to move forward in military technology. No better example than the dominance of the Abrams tank in the gulf wars. A major downfall of the ww2 tanks was lack of a radio. If the enemy took out the tank commander the rest of the tanks were without guidance. A simple piece of technology can mean the difference between complete dominance and victory or being utterly destroyed.

TheGoverness

Little Miss Sunshine
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I can see quite a few places voice controlled equipment could be useful. Tell me what background do you have to decide the usefulness of this equipment.
I just think that this sort of technology isn't going to be reliable. A lot of voice command technology is still a bit faulty.

braindrain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I just think that this sort of technology isn't going to be reliable. A lot of voice command technology is still a bit faulty.

Well that's a completely different concern then you were expressing earlier. And one I can agree with.

PirateMk1

Resident Martian ;)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private

If you are using it everyday and giving the same commands then actually it improves at least that's what I have found 99.95% is its comprehension rate for what I am doing right now. I have used the Dragon Naturally Speaking product and the built in speech recognition for windows, the Google speech engine and Cortana. dragon is the best hands down. It can pickup a debater using the spread technique quite well with about a 98% recognition rate. (Speaking quickly attempting to overwhelm the listener and opposition with facts and figures ect.) It's used in medical and legal circles as well. To be honest all the military needs is the Dragon product programed for their jargon and interfaces.

Jredbaron96

Gen 4:10
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"Computer, fire for effect, grid location Zulu Kilo 4912 3406, break, direction One Eight Hundred over!"

"Okay, Grid Location Hulu Cello 4921 3460!"

"Negative, I said Zulu Kilo!"

"I'll find good prices for kiwis near you."

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Simpleχity;1065761344 said:

In the desert, a dusty touchscreen might not recognize a soldier’s sand-covered gloves. There might be a way around that....

defense-large.jpg
That sounds good in theory. But voice recognition doesn't seem foolproof. My cable box remote has voice recognition on it. Sometimes it works right the first time and other times I can say ABC and it turns the the channel to BBC.

Top Bottom