• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘He’s a small child’: Utah police shot a 13-year-old autistic boy after his mother called 911 for he

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

He’s a small child’: Utah police shot a 13-year-old autistic boy after his mother called 911 for help

When Golda Barton dialed 911 on Friday, she hoped emergency responders could help hospitalize her 13-year-old son, who has Asperger syndrome and was having a mental crisis.

Instead, a Salt Lake City police officer repeatedly shot Linden Cameron after he ran away, leaving the boy in serious condition with injuries to his intestines, bladder, shoulder and ankles. Barton says he was unarmed, and police said they didn’t find a weapon at the scene.

“He’s a small child. Why didn’t you just tackle him?” Barton said in a tearful interview with KUTV on Sunday. “He’s a baby. He has mental issues.”

Barton said she’s gotten few answers from police. Salt Lake City’s mayor pledged on Sunday that an investigation into the incident would be quick.

“No matter the circumstances, what happened on Friday night is a tragedy, and I expect this investigation to be handled swiftly and transparently for the sake of everyone involved,” Mayor Erin Mendenhall (D) said in a statement to the Salt Lake Tribune.
======================================================================
I don't know what's wrong with the cops but this seems to be part of a developing nationwide pattern.

you have no clue what happened but it's the cops fault again

this is so out of hand

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

He’s a small child’: Utah police shot a 13-year-old autistic boy after his mother called 911 for help

When Golda Barton dialed 911 on Friday, she hoped emergency responders could help hospitalize her 13-year-old son, who has Asperger syndrome and was having a mental crisis.

Instead, a Salt Lake City police officer repeatedly shot Linden Cameron after he ran away, leaving the boy in serious condition with injuries to his intestines, bladder, shoulder and ankles. Barton says he was unarmed, and police said they didn’t find a weapon at the scene.

“He’s a small child. Why didn’t you just tackle him?” Barton said in a tearful interview with KUTV on Sunday. “He’s a baby. He has mental issues.”

Barton said she’s gotten few answers from police. Salt Lake City’s mayor pledged on Sunday that an investigation into the incident would be quick.

“No matter the circumstances, what happened on Friday night is a tragedy, and I expect this investigation to be handled swiftly and transparently for the sake of everyone involved,” Mayor Erin Mendenhall (D) said in a statement to the Salt Lake Tribune.
======================================================================
I don't know what's wrong with the cops but this seems to be part of a developing nationwide pattern.

Wow, that's messed up. I'm curious to see what the investigation turns up, but right now it looks like the cops completely ****ed this up. If that's the case, criminal proceedings should begin.

You're just hearing about it more often now.

No, she just left a mental defect alone knowing that it was likely to cause a violent episode and wants to blame others for the consequences of her own negligence.

Well, that's "special" of you.

American police are particularly trigger-happy. Scary for people who live there.

Look, the kid ran from the police. That right there is reason enough to gun him down like a dog in the street.

We're gonna have some ****ing law and order in this country if we have shoot every one of you mother ****ers dead! You got that?
You appear to be lost. This country is called "America". Here we have a civic duty to hold the government accountable instead of making bull**** excuses for their misconduct. North Korea is ---------------> that way komrade!

Another reason to question why we as a society should make allowances for free range mental defects who are a danger to themselves and others. If a person cannot function in society then they should be institutionalized or at least require 24/7 supervision of a guardian.

And who's going to pay for the mental health facilities to instititionalize all these people? Who's going to pay for their 24/7 supervision? Our tax dollars? When can we expect that legislation to pass?

And who's going to pay for the mental health facilities to instititionalize all these people? Who's going to pay for their 24/7 supervision? Our tax dollars? When can we expect that legislation to pass?

The family pays for it or they stay home. We can’t allow negligent mothers to cause a violent episode through their negligence and call the police to do her job for her. Who’s going to pay for that? She should.

And if the family can't afford it? Who's going to supervise when mom has to go to work?

Mom doesn’t go to work and foist her responsibilities onto the police. It used to be that mental defects became wards of the State or asylums operated by charities and that was the societal expectation. It probably should be again. This woman is obviously incapable of providing adequate supervision.

Last edited:
Mom doesn’t go to work and foist her responsibilities onto the police. It used to be that mental defects became wards of the State and that was the societal expectation. It probably should be again. This woman is obviously incapable of providing adequate supervision.

So then where's the funding to care for all these wards of the State?

Parents don't magically become mental health professionals just because they have a kid with autism. And they can't provide the same level of care as one, without help.

So then where's the funding to care for all these wards of the State?

Parents don't magically become mental health professionals just because they have a kid with autism. And they can't provide the same level of care as one, without help.

I’m sure there’s enough spare change rolling around the Pentagon to restore the asylum system. And if you agree that parents aren’t qualified to handle mental defects prone to violent outbursts then you must also agree those children should be removed from their care as a matter of public safety and the best interest of the child?

I’m sure there’s enough spare change rolling around the Pentagon to restore the asylum system. And if you agree that parents aren’t qualified to handle mental defects prone to violent outbursts then you must also agree those children should be removed from their care as a matter of public safety and the best interest of the child?

That depends. Are you removing them just so you can shut them away, because the rest of society doesn't want to be inconvenienced by them? Or are you placing them under the care of people who will love them and care for them, who will help them become healthier and more functional?

Because to me, it seems like you have the best interests of only one person in mind: yourself.

So to you the answer is to use "spare change" in the government couch cushions to fund putting people away in asylums rather than to actually provide help to families to better support and react and educate those who have such mental or emotional issues?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hard to see how this shooting was in any way justified.

There is still a woeful lack of education regarding dealing with kids with autism or autistic features. I responded to a crisis call a few years back to one of our ERs and when i arrived the room where the crisis was ongoing was filled with screaming and shouting. There were doctors, nurses, security, and cops all in the room. I had to physically remove all of them one by one until it was just the ER doc assigned to the case, who was heaving and red as an apple, one nurse, and a scared 12 year old kid curled up in the fetal position in a corner. I asked the doctor WTF was going on and he said the kid was fighting with and wouldnt stop hissing at him. His mom had been telling them that the kid was autistic. I pushed the doctor and the nurse out of the room, sat down on the floor in the door of the ER, gave the kid every inch of space the room offered, introduced myself, and asked him if I could get him some juice and a peanut butter cookie. He 'hissed' back at me...in what was the most clear 'yesssssssssssssss' you ever heard. Basic ****ing training 101 when dealing with autistic kids...space and sensory awareness. The kid wasnt fighting with the doc. He was trying to be compliant til they grabbed him and tried to force him.

I suspect similar circumstances were involved in this case. Its OK to create boundaries...but you create boundaries with space and choices...especially when you have tow grown ass men handling the situation. Instead, they shot a 13 year old kid. Who knows...maybe theres something more to it. But as it reads now, it doesnt sound good for the cops.

So to you the answer is to use "spare change" in the government couch cushions to fund putting people away in asylums rather than to actually provide help to families to better support and react and educate those who have such mental or emotional issues?

A person prone to violent outbursts making them a danger to themselves and others has no place in the wild of society. How many people have to be murdered by mental defects before they’re put where they belong?

Last edited:
A person prone to violent outbursts making them a danger to themselves and others has no place in the wild of society.
Find out why they are having the outbursts and you can likely help them to not happen.

Find out why they are having the outbursts and you can likely help them to not happen.

Like say...separation from a mother who decided to do it anyway and dump the problem on police? I remember another mother who thought she knew best in keeping her mentally defective son home and he murdered 20 children. Adam Lanza ring a bell?

There is still a woeful lack of education regarding dealing with kids with autism or autistic features. I responded to a crisis call a few years back to one of our ERs and when i arrived the room where the crisis was ongoing was filled with screaming and shouting. There were doctors, nurses, security, and cops all in the room. I had to physically remove all of them one by one until it was just the ER doc assigned to the case, who was heaving and red as an apple, one nurse, and a scared 12 year old kid curled up in the fetal position in a corner. I asked the doctor WTF was going on and he said the kid was fighting with and wouldnt stop hissing at him. His mom had been telling them that the kid was autistic. I pushed the doctor and the nurse out of the room, sat down on the floor in the door of the ER, gave the kid every inch of space the room offered, introduced myself, and asked him if I could get him some juice and a peanut butter cookie. He 'hissed' back at me...in what was the most clear 'yesssssssssssssss' you ever heard. Basic ****ing training 101 when dealing with autistic kids...space and sensory awareness. The kid wasnt fighting with the doc. He was trying to be compliant til they grabbed him and tried to force him.

I suspect similar circumstances were involved in this case. Its OK to create boundaries...but you create boundaries with space and choices...especially when you have tow grown ass men handling the situation. Instead, they shot a 13 year old kid. Who knows...maybe theres something more to it. But as it reads now, it doesnt sound good for the cops.
Exactly. It didn't take long to learn that if my son was having a tantrum or just being stubbornly angry, if you gave him 10 to 30 minutes in a quiet, safe space alone, he would be calm and likely not even know he had had a problem earlier (he also has memory issues though).

Like say...separation from a mother who decided to do it anyway and dump the problem on police?
Not what happened and if it was, helping her be home more and her son cope is much more productive and beneficial to society than your suggestion.

Not what happened and if it was, helping her be home more and her son cope is much more productive and beneficial to society than your suggestion.

Really? Because keeping Adam Lanza at home wasn’t beneficial to the 20 children he murdered. They need to be removed from society.

Oh come now, I'm sure if you read the depths of alt-right media you can find justfication to make heroes of these cops, show a little effort for the alt-right cause. Show alittle pride in your white persecution victimhood, and a little backbone in your undying consscession to an authoritarian state! :roll:

Like say...separation from a mother who decided to do it anyway and dump the problem on police? I remember another mother who thought she knew best in keeping her mentally defective son home and he murdered 20 children. Adam Lanza ring a bell?
Adam Lanza was about multiple failures. Did this woman leave her son home with a gun in the house? At the moment we dont know but it doesnt sound like it.. How about working to get him into see a psychiatrist and her some help with handling him, then he has a loving mother taking care of him and gets help he needs in a supportive environment.

This country needs serious help with its mental health issues.

Adam Lanza was about multiple failures. Did this woman leave her son home with a gun in the house? At the moment we dont know but it doesnt sound like it.. How about working to get him into see a psychiatrist and her some help with handling him, then he has a loving mother taking care of him and gets help he needs in a supportive environment.

This country needs serious help with its mental health issues.

This country needs to stop pretending that unleashing dangerous mental defects on society is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom