• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Fundamental Mistake’ Made Before BP Oil Spill, Lawmakers Say

Glinda

You kids get off my lawn!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
‘Fundamental Mistake’ Made Before BP Oil Spill, Lawmakers Say

May 26 (Bloomberg) -- Operators on the rig that exploded over BP Plc’s oil well in the Gulf of Mexico made a “fundamental mistake” by ignoring a “very large abnormality” in a pressure test, according to a congressional memo. *

An investigator for BP told staff of the House Energy & Commerce Committee the operators erred by releasing pressure in a “kill line” while pressure in a drill pipe remained at 1,400 pounds per square inch, according to the memo dated yesterday and signed by Democratic Representatives Henry Waxman and Bart Stupak.

“BP’s investigator indicated that a ‘fundamental mistake’ may have been made here because this was an ‘indicator of a very large abnormality,’” the lawmakers wrote in the summary prepared for members of the panel, which will hold a hearing on the spill tomorrow. Waxman of California is the committee’s chairman, and Stupak of Michigan heads its investigations panel.

Warning Signs Missed
Operators on the rig missed a series of warning signs, including indications that more fluid was flowing out of the well than was being pumped in, according to the memo.

Five hours before the blast, a riser pipe had a loss of fluid, suggesting leaks. Two hours before, a system gained 15 barrels of fluid when 5 were expected, suggesting an “influx from the well,” according to the memo. Later, 41 minutes before the explosion, the pump was shut down and pressure unexpectedly increased.

The operators also had trouble with cement used to hold back gas in the well, and a step in the cementing process had to be repeated nine times, according to the memo. A test performed after cementing was complete “may not have been definitive.” The cement may have been contaminated, making it weaker than it was intended to be, according to the memo.

* Waxman's memo is here and is worth reading, as it provides detail on the various failures on the oil rig during the 24 hours prior to the explosion.

Given the information BP provided Waxman's committee, I think it's safe to say that criminal charges will eventually be brought. And I'm not the only one who thinks this way:

Criminal charges likely from Gulf oil spill, legal experts say

But environmental law experts say it's just a matter of time until the Justice Department steps in - if it hasn't already - to initiate a criminal inquiry and take punitive action.

"There is no question there'll be an enforcement action," said David M. Uhlmann, who headed the Justice Department's environmental crimes section for seven years during the Clinton and Bush administrations. "And, it's very likely that there will be at least some criminal charges brought."

But Uhlmann and other experts said it's likely prosecutors are already poring over evidence from the spill because under the Clean Water and Air Acts and other federal laws aimed at protecting migratory birds, an accidental oil spill of this magnitude could at least result in misdemeanor negligence charges.

And under the migratory bird regulations, prosecutors have very broad discretion. "If it happens, then you can charge it," said William Carter, a former federal prosecutor of 14 years who headed the environmental crimes section for the Los Angeles U.S. attorney's office. "There's no intent required."

He added that he agreed with Uhlmann, saying, "I would be shocked if there were no criminal charges filed in this case. There are so many things that went wrong out there."

One of the numerous factors in determining whether to file criminal charges is the adequacy of civil damages, which would provide an additional reason for prosecutors to pursue a criminal case in connection with the Gulf spill, experts said.

Prosecutors also look at the history of violations, which could also persuade them to file charges. BP, for example, has already agreed to pay millions in criminal penalties for several major incidents, including for a fatal explosion at a Texas refinery in March 2005.

BP and several of its subsidiaries agreed to pay a total of $373 million in fines for the Texas explosion, leaks of crude oil from pipelines in Alaska, and for fraud for conspiring to corner the market and manipulate the price of propane carried through Texas pipelines.

While the government will probably only bring criminal charges if there is some sort of negligence — "that's not a very high bar," Uhlmann said.

Do you think criminal charges against BP are warranted? If not, why not?

Absolutely. Eleven men lost their lives due to BP's negligence.

Will justice prevail? THAT is the 64,000,000 barrel question here.

They should be held accountable for their actions. But we don't do that to companies anymore. Hell you can have a part in destroying the whole of the US economy, drive us into a recession we still ain't seen our way out of, and instead of punishment you'll just get more of our money. Good deal if you ask me.

What exactly-the-hell do any of these lawmakers know about what happened on that rig?

What exactly-the-hell do any of these lawmakers know about what happened on that rig?

It seems, a lot more than you do. However, you may disagree with me and are certainly welcome to show some proof that you know something about this that the rest of us don't.

Of course, you can also continue to run away.

I suppose I could be wrong, but it would seem they're initiating an INVESTIGATION (you know what that word means, right?) in order to find out.

:doh

I suppose I could be wrong, but it would seem they're initiating an INVESTIGATION (you know what that word means, right?) in order to find out.

:doh

Again, what the hell do a buncha suit-n-tie lawyers know about what happened on that rig?

It's funny. All you, "Arrest BP", folks have told us that the rig was drilling, it was running casing, setting casing and they were cementing casing. Ya'll tell this story as if all this was going on simultaneously, which is impossible. I wish you all would pick one operation and stick with it.

Out here in the oil patch, which equates to the real world in this instance, I've heard that they had already set the storm packer in the bottom hole assembly, which would indicate that they had already drilled as deep as they were going; there was no more need for cementing operations; nor was there need to run more casing. The hole was finished and being made ready for the production string, which would blow all your narratives out of the water.

If you're going to tell a fairy tale, at least tell the same one.

Again, what the hell do a buncha suit-n-tie lawyers know about what happened on that rig?

It's funny. All you, "Arrest BP", folks have told us that the rig was drilling, it was running casing, setting casing and they were cementing casing. Ya'll tell this story as if all this was going on simultaneously, which is impossible. I wish you all would pick one operation and stick with it.

Out here in the oil patch, which equates to the real world in this instance, I've heard that they had already set the storm packer in the bottom hole assembly, which would indicate that they had already drilled as deep as they were going; there was no more need for cementing operations; nor was there need to run more casing. The hole was finished and being made ready for the production string, which would blow all your narratives out of the water.

If you're going to tell a fairy tale, at least tell the same one.

From what you've posted, and run away from, I have to wonder what the hell YOU know about any of this. You've changed your story a million times. You never post any facts. All you do is bitch at people who think BPO just screwed this country and want them to be held accountable. What a radical idea, ehh? :roll:

And THIS from someone who thinks part of some process here involves filling the entire well with cement! Say what? That way when the production rig comes on site it only has to drill thru all that cement? What a great plan, ehh? :doh

And YOU think you have some kind of credibility on this issue? Seriously? :roll:

From what you've posted, and run away from, I have to wonder what the hell YOU know about any of this. You've changed your story a million times. You never post any facts. All you do is bitch at people who think BPO just screwed this country and want them to be held accountable. What a radical idea, ehh? :roll:

I never said that BP shouldn't be held accountable. Alls I'm saying, is that we need to find out what actually happened, before we start picking a tree to hang'em from. As terrible is this is going to sound, I believe that everyone who really knows what went wrong, are dead.

And THIS from someone who thinks part of some process here involves filling the entire well with cement! Say what? That way when the production rig comes on site it only has to drill thru all that cement? What a great plan, ehh? :doh

And YOU think you have some kind of credibility on this issue? Seriously? :roll:

When did I ever say this. Please...post my comments...:rofl!

Moderator's Warning:
Talk about the topic, not the posters. This is the only warning.

I never said that BP shouldn't be held accountable. Alls I'm saying, is that we need to find out what actually happened, before we start picking a tree to hang'em from. As terrible is this is going to sound, I believe that everyone who really knows what went wrong, are dead.

And this is the process that is ongoing. Blindly defending BP, providing absolutely nothing but your awe of them, is not very effective in actually defending them. We have provided links to eye witness testimony. You poo poo'd them. Links have been provided showing what scientists, engineers and true experienced oil rig workers testimony as to what safety shortcuts BP took and you make fun of us. When do you intend to actually acknowledge any evidence... after everything is said and done?

Forensics is a wonderful thing.

I suspect some of those poor guys killed in the explosion did not even know what had happened.

When did I ever say this. Please...post my comments...:rofl!

Here ya go pal. Sound familiar? :roll:
Originally Posted by apdst
Are you seriously suggesting that when a well is cemented, that it's not cemented from the ground to bottom hole? For your sake, I hope that's not what you're saying.

There are more rig hands than me on this forum that will make you look the fool on that one
http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...72881-blowout-deepwater-horizon-disaster.html

* Waxman's memo is here and is worth reading, as it provides detail on the various failures on the oil rig during the 24 hours prior to the explosion.

Given the information BP provided Waxman's committee, I think it's safe to say that criminal charges will eventually be brought. And I'm not the only one who thinks this way:

Do you think criminal charges against BP are warranted? If not, why not?

From what I understand BP doesn't operate the oil rig, the oil rig owner does.

So why should BP face criminal charges?

From what I understand BP doesn't operate the oil rig, the oil rig owner does.

So why should BP face criminal charges?

In all fairness, BP calls the shots on the rig, although the rig is owned and crewed by the drilling company. On BP land rigs, the company man--there are two, a day and night company man--logs everything. When the bit is changed, when pipe is tripped, when casing is run. If there's a problem of one sort, or another, the company logs it and how long it took to resume operations. When the casing crews, cement crews and other non-organic service personel perform work on the rig, the company man knows about it.

Long story short, this is BP's baby. Now, if they want to drag the service companies down with them, that's another story.

And this is the process that is ongoing. Blindly defending BP, providing absolutely nothing but your awe of them, is not very effective in actually defending them. We have provided links to eye witness testimony. You poo poo'd them. Links have been provided showing what scientists, engineers and true experienced oil rig workers testimony as to what safety shortcuts BP took and you make fun of us. When do you intend to actually acknowledge any evidence... after everything is said and done?

Forensics is a wonderful thing.

I suspect some of those poor guys killed in the explosion did not even know what had happened.

Here ya go pal. Sound familiar? :roll:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...72881-blowout-deepwater-horizon-disaster.html

Point out where I said anything about cementing the wellbore, sir. Never said that, did I?

In all fairness, BP calls the shots on the rig, although the rig is owned and crewed by the drilling company. On BP land rigs, the company man--there are two, a day and night company man--logs everything. When the bit is changed, when pipe is tripped, when casing is run. If there's a problem of one sort, or another, the company logs it and how long it took to resume operations. When the casing crews, cement crews and other non-organic service personel perform work on the rig, the company man knows about it.

Long story short, this is BP's baby. Now, if they want to drag the service companies down with them, that's another story.

Is he just logging it or does he have a say over, whether or not, the operators are preforming their duties safely?

Point out where I said anything about cementing the wellbore, sir. Never said that, did I?

This is what you said:
Originally Posted by apdst
Are you seriously suggesting that when a well is cemented, that it's not cemented from the ground to bottom hole? For your sake, I hope that's not what you're saying.

There are more rig hands than me on this forum that will make you look the fool on that one.

Defend it or explain it. Show me you know what you're talking about because this sure sounds like you don't. :coffeepap

This is what you said:

Defend it or explain it. Show me you know what you're talking about because this sure sounds like you don't. :coffeepap

Here is a diagram of a cased well. Notice the cement goes all the way to the bottom...on the outside of the wellbore. Between the outter casing and the wellbore. If you still don't understand, then there's not much I can do for you, sir.

OGL00003.gif

This diagram does an even better job of illustrating where the cement is.

360px-Oil_Well.png

If you need anything else, please, don't hesitate to ask.

I can't help but feel, however, that the American consumer (myself included; I finally got my license two years ago and started driving last year) is the real villain in this story.
If their weren't a demand such obscene quantities of oil at prices affordable to almost every American, there would not be so much pressure on oil companies to cut corners everywhere they can.
Supply is dictated by demand.

I can't help but feel, however, that the American consumer (myself included; I finally got my license two years ago and started driving last year) is the real villain in this story.
If their weren't a demand such obscene quantities of oil at prices affordable to almost every American, there would not be so much pressure on oil companies to cut corners everywhere they can.
Supply is dictated by demand.

The only way that logic would work, is for no one to use electricity. Don't eat. Walk everywhere. Don't use anything made of plastic, etc.

The consumer is in no way the villian here.

It sounds like you two are talking about two different things.

ADK_Forever talking about cement plugs

apdst talking about cementing the casing joints - between the casing and bedrock.

But both of you are on the right track according to some experts belief of how the tragedy occurred..Some believe an O-ring and/or cementing wasn't done or was improperly done while installing plugs.

Here's a link to an illustration with explanations of how and what may have occurred.

http://media.nola.com/2010_gulf_oil_spill/photo/oil-halliburton-cement-052010jpg-e618a2271a66c847.jpg

The only way that logic would work, is for no one to use electricity. Don't eat. Walk everywhere. Don't use anything made of plastic, etc.

The consumer is in no way the villian here.

More conservative absolutist thinking. Reducing demand and eliminating demand are not the same thing. And to consider us blameless is really burying your head in the sand.

More conservative absolutist thinking. Reducing demand and eliminating demand are not the same thing. And to consider us blameless is really burying your head in the sand.

The only way to totally eliminate the chance of an oil well blow out, is to totally stop drilling. What are we to do if there is zero oil supply? Food for thought.

It sounds like you two are talking about two different things.

ADK_Forever talking about cement plugs

apdst talking about cementing the casing joints - between the casing and bedrock.

But both of you are on the right track according to some experts belief of how the tragedy occurred..Some believe an O-ring and/or cementing wasn't done or was improperly done while installing plugs.

Here's a link to an illustration with explanations of how and what may have occurred.

http://media.nola.com/2010_gulf_oil_spill/photo/oil-halliburton-cement-052010jpg-e618a2271a66c847.jpg

The OP says they were drilling. The OP in another thead says they were cementing. My point is, that everything that's been posted, so far, is pure speculation, as to what happened.

As to the link you posted. Is that possible? The riser is bolted to the well head. There would have to be a casing failure for gas to go up through the riser.

And, besides that, the link you posted shows the riser inside the casing which isn't how the assembly is put together. The casing and drill pipe go inside the riser, not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom