• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

‘Dora the Explorer’ Under Fire After Trump Surrogate Rips Tim Kaine for

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]‘Dora the Explorer’ Under Fire After Trump Surrogate Rips Tim Kaine for Speaking Spanish[/h]

[FONT=&quot]Scottie Nell Hughes, a CNN conservative commentator, did not appreciate Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine speaking Spanish during a rally with Hillary Clinton after becoming her running mate on the Democratic ticket.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While Hughes said she appreciated the “multicultural” aspect of the vice presidential candidate’s fluent Spanish speech, she believed that is the very thing that continues to divide America. “We can all bring out our language,” Hughes told her CNN colleague Wolf Blitzer. “Melania [Trump] could come out and speak her five different languages, as well.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hughes continued, “But what Mr. Trump did, he spoke in a language that all Americans can understand. That is English.”[/FONT]

Yes, English. Good English. Great English. English a nine year old can understand. The best English. You can count on it. You can take it to the bank. Let me tell you.

Why are Americans so afraid of other languages?

Why are Americans so afraid of other languages?

Why do you believe we are?

I for one believe in having a common language. A common language could help in unity.
I don't care what language a person uses for personal use. I do care when we can't communicate.

I for one believe in having a common language. A common language could help in unity.
I don't care what language a person uses for personal use. I do care when we can't communicate.

There's nothing wrong with what Kaine did. Both English and Spanish versions of the same text were said. Get over it.

Why does it matter when a politician speaks in another language, especially when the message is trying to be aimed at a group that primarily speaks Spanish? I can understand wanting a common language but there is no reason why you cannot have more than one, and people should be not shamed for speaking another language.

Why does it matter when a politician speaks in another language, especially when the message is trying to be aimed at a group that primarily speaks Spanish? I can understand wanting a common language but there is no reason why you cannot have more than one, and people should be not shamed for speaking another language.

Someone in Quebec should be the LAST person talking about language discrimination.

Someone in Quebec should be the LAST person talking about language discrimination.

I am a ****ing Anglophone, if anything I am the one that would be discriminated against.

Your argument fails when you realize the poster doesn't think they way you think he or she does based on the context of his or her post.

I wonder, when someone communicates in "sign language," as when they are deaf, is that sign language universal? Can deaf Mexicans communicate with deaf Americans using the same signs?

I am a ****ing Anglophone, if anything I am the one that would be discriminated against.

It takes a good four years to properly learn a language. Are you telling me that you have never been discriminated against for not being able to speak French? From what I have read in employment ads in Quebec, even if you're willing to accept the awful pay rates is that non-French speakers need not apply.

It takes a good four years to properly learn a language. Are you telling me that you have never been discriminated against for not being able to speak French? From what I have read in employment ads in Quebec, even if you're willing to accept the awful pay rates is that non-French speakers need not apply.

No, I have not. Maybe not gotten a few interviews but that is about it and is not discrimination. Of course non-French speakers need not apply because most jobs require French in the form of perfect bilingualism, because it is a French speaking region. Would you go to France without knowing French and complain that you are being discriminated against? I can speak basic French and can read it fairly well. You can still find good paying work if do not speak French, it is just much harder. I found a good-paying co-op placement with a department of a company that is mainly English-speaking. You do not understand what language discrimination is.

Your argument fails when you realize the poster doesn't think they way you think he or she does based on the context of his or her post.

I'm curious how he manages to survive in Quebec. Many people have left over Quebec's language discrimination. No Canadian has moral authority to lecture Americans about language intolerance. We who live in Texas have every right to brag about our linguistic heritage. Many Texans learn Spanish not because they have to or are pressured into over accusations of being a racist; they do it to live the full Texas experience. "The full Texas" experience is just a high-falutin' way to say "get chicks".

Last edited:
I'm curious how he manages to survive in Quebec. Many people have left over Quebec's language discrimination. No Canadian has moral authority to lecture Americans about language intolerance. We who live in Texas have every right to brag about our linguistic heritage. Many Texans learn Spanish not because they have to or are pressured into over accusations of being a racist; they do it to live the full Texas experience.

Ever been to Quebec? Know all this first hand? I thought so.

I'm curious how he manages to survive in Quebec. Many people have left over Quebec's language discrimination. No Canadian has moral authority to lecture Americans about language intolerance. We who live in Texas have every right to brag about our linguistic heritage. Many Texans learn Spanish not because they have to or are pressured into over accusations of being a racist; they do it to live the full Texas experience. "The full Texas" experience is just a high-falutin' way to say "get chicks".

You're comparing Texas to Quebec? LMAO

I wonder, when someone communicates in "sign language," as when they are deaf, is that sign language universal? Can deaf Mexicans communicate with deaf Americans using the same signs?
Thats a damn interesting question that i never thought to ask before. Im gonna hafta google that one

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Why do you think the objection is based on fearm (sic) fear

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Because we've seen the xenophobia expressed over and over by the right.

No, I have not. Maybe not gotten a few interviews but that is about it and is not discrimination. Of course non-French speakers need not apply because most jobs require French in the form of perfect bilingualism, because it is a French speaking region. Would you go to France without knowing French and complain that you are being discriminated against? I can speak basic French and can read it fairly well. You can still find good paying work if do not speak French, it is just much harder. I found a good-paying co-op placement with a department of a company that is mainly English-speaking. You do not understand what language discrimination is.

By the way, learning French is just not a good investment. Spanish give you access to most of Latin America. Portuguese gives you access to Brazil and Macau. Japanese and Chinese gives you access to huge labor markets. I love the way Brazil is dealing with non-Francophone discrimination, French Guiana is being flooded with illegal Brazilians. It won't be too long before French Guiana is majority Portuguese speaking. I have a cousin by marriage that works for the Kourou space station as a tour guide. She told me she would get fired for explaining things in Portuguese and to save any questions I had until after the tour.

I *know* that some americans are because in the OP, you have a rightwing media figure openly expressing her fear that speaking in another language is dividing the nation

Maybe because there are many languages represented by US Citizens, and picking one disenfranchises all the others. Picking a universal language likely understood by all would be a more reasonable approach.

Or, perhaps Kaine just wanted to ignore all those who don't know Spanish and let them know they aren't really that important.

Four years? Quite a generalization. The wife that is a language teacher says that's bull**** especially when you consider how much quicker it is if you are immersed in the language and country. And there are variables such as the complexity of the language vs. how similar or dissimilar the language you are learning to your own native language.

Back
Top Bottom