• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Doesn’t look good for me’: Trump sought to exclude wounded veterans from parade

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
‘Doesn’t look good for me’: Trump sought to exclude wounded veterans from parade

iu

As President Donald Trump sought to hold a spectacular military parade on the Fourth of July, the former president had a request that stunned his top military advisers: He didn’t want wounded veterans to be on display. Trump had been inspired to hold a grand Independence Day parade in the summer of 2018 after attending the Bastille Day parade in France the year before. However, he reportedly lamented the presence of wounded soldiers in wheelchairs who had lost limbs in battle, requesting they not be present. “Look, I don’t want any wounded guys in the parade,” Trump said, according to an excerpt of the forthcoming book The Divider by journalists Susan Glasser and Peter Baker. “This doesn’t look good for me.” The comment stunned the generals present for the meeting, worsening frustrations already brewing amid the administration, according to the book. “Those are the heroes,” John Kelly, then-White House chief of staff, told Trump. “In our society, there’s only one group of people who are more heroic than they are — and they are buried over in Arlington.”

Top military generals advised against holding the parade due to high costs, and the event was ultimately delayed. However, Trump did end up hosting a “Salute to America” parade on the Fourth of July in 2019. The former president’s comments that he didn’t want wounded soldiers present for the parade were previously reported by the Atlantic in September 2020. The White House denied those reports. Several officials, including Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, considered resigning from the White House in the summer of 2020, accusing Trump of ensuing “great and irreparable harm” to the country. The Divider, which describes behind-the-scenes details and unreported conversations that occurred inside the White House during Trump’s presidency, is scheduled to be released on Sept. 20.

Trump used the military whenever he wanted to project an image of strength and authoritarisnism.

Other than that, the president with a bone-spurs deferment never had much use for the men and women of the US military and her veterans.

according to an excerpt of the forthcoming book The Divider by journalists Susan Glasser and Peter Baker​

according to the book​

The former president’s comments that he didn’t want wounded soldiers present for the parade were previously reported by the Atlantic in September 2020.​

The White House denied those reports.​

Selling books, unnamed sources, tabloid journalism...nothing new here folks. We've seen this over and over the last six years.

But hey...the useful idiots LOVE them some nothingburgers.

according to an excerpt of the forthcoming book The Divider by journalists Susan Glasser and Peter Baker​

according to the book​

The former president’s comments that he didn’t want wounded soldiers present for the parade were previously reported by the Atlantic in September 2020.​

The White House denied those reports.​

Selling books, unnamed sources, tabloid journalism...nothing new here folks. We've seen this over and over the last six years.

But hey...the useful idiots LOVE them some nothingburgers.
Because you refuse to believe anything negative about trump does not remove the truth from what you want to call a nothingburger. I guess you also forget his comments at arlington national cemetery so let me help refresh your memory.

Because you refuse to believe anything negative about trump
And you eagerly lap up anything that is negative about Trump...without even considering whether it is true or not.

And you eagerly lap up anything that is negative about Trump...without even considering whether it is true or not.
When trump is on national tv asking for help from russia to 'nail' hillary, that was all my imagination? When trump told us mexico was going to pay for his wall, that was my imagination? When trump told his faithful to go to the capitol and fight like hell, that was my imagination? When trump gave his tax cut to those who didn't need it, that was my imagination? Trump getting love letters from a dictator was my imagination?

So tell me, were those incidents I mentioned my imagination or did trump actually say those things?

When trump is on national tv asking for help from russia to 'nail' hillary, that was all my imagination? When trump told us mexico was going to pay for his wall, that was my imagination? When trump told his faithful to go to the capitol and fight like hell, that was my imagination? When trump gave his tax cut to those who didn't need it, that was my imagination? Trump getting love letters from a dictator was my imagination?

So tell me, were those incidents I mentioned my imagination or did trump actually say those things?
Yes. It's all your imagination...along with your eager acceptance of the product of other's imaginations.

Everything you've mentioned here is a product of unrelenting spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole and lies...with zero evidence of critical thinking.

You are dismissed.

Yes. It's all your imagination...along with your eager acceptance of the product of other's imaginations.

Everything you've mentioned here is a product of unrelenting spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole and lies...with zero evidence of critical thinking.

You are dismissed.
Dismissed again today, yay. I must be setting a record for consecutive dismissals.

iu

Trump used the military whenever he wanted to project an image of strength and authoritarisnism.

Other than that, the president with a bone-spurs deferment never had much use for the men and women of the US military and her veterans.
I wonder if he felt/feels the same way towards POWs that have returned home being in parades? We already know that he doesn't like any military personnel captured in war zones.

There are a lot of wounded veterans who are republicans.

You are dismissed.
Did you know I'm a magician? Watch as I present to you the donald's own words from my imagination.

I have one vivid imagination, no?

@Mycroft. I can't swallow that much crap to believe everyone is lying about trump and he is as innocent as a newborn babe. I almost feel sorry for you.

Says the Trumper who believes Dear Leader has never ever lied.

Tell me, did Trump ever say he 'preferred soldiers who weren't captured'?
Lol, can't wait to hear his response if he gives one.

That means you won. @Mycroft dismisses people who beat him in debates, which is pretty much everyone but the other Trump Panty Sniffers.
It's @Mycroft, we can always count on him to try to clean up the donald's shit. Talk about TDS, he has one of the strongest cases of it on here.

Says the Trumper who believes Dear Leader has never ever lied.

Tell me, did Trump ever say he 'preferred soldiers who weren't captured'?
Ready for this? I don't recall.

LMFAO!!!! Yeah, tRump smeared McCain over his being a POW during the Vietnam war... ✌️
What? Trump doesn't like his heroes captured or have missing limbs. I'll bet that makes many a vet feel all warm and fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom